Value of Antonio Gates? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Value of Antonio Gates?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby footballchick23 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:03 pm

What's nice about Gates is that he's pretty much guaranteed to produce. So far, I only really see PIT as having been the most physical with him and he still got 60 yds + TD. The OAK game was his lowest outing this season, but I attribute that to OAK just getting worked and the Chargers trying to run out the clock.

Do you think his value goes down if SD decides to keep Rivers and trade Drew? I'm not saying it's going to happen and even if it does, it shouldn't make a huge difference....but you never know. The talk here in SD is that if SD gets into the playoffs, Drew stays. It's funny that a lot of people still aren't sold on Brees....just some food for thought.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JtotheF » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:44 pm

I love Gates too, and you're absolutely right about the advantage.

Based on the concept of managing your fantasy team utilizing the principles of Category Management (I wrote an article about it last year for the cafe - http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2004/tips_chance.php), I decided to draft Gates in the 4th round in two of my leagues this year. And in spite of the loss of players like Deuce & Javon Walker, with the help of the heads up advantage that I have at TE, I'm leading both leagues in points thus far.

When I first decided to commit to this draft strategy (one league is an uber-competitive 8 team, the other is an equally competitive 12 team keeper), it seemed like it could considered a gamble. But in the end, I simply couldn't ignore the fact that in his second year, my man set the TE TD reception record. God only knows what he's going to do this year and the next. And the next. And the next...

Now I'm not really sure how many of the players you've listed I'd take over him, just because point production at RB is so necessary. But the only QB's I would take ahead of him at this point are Manning & Palmer. For the receivers, the usual suspects; T.O., Moss, Smith & CJ.

Did anyone take him in the 3rd?
JtotheF
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Warhawk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:14 pm

My leagues:

1: Gates: 10th pick 3rd round (gonzo was 9th in 3rd round)
2: Gates: 9th pick 3rd round (gonzo went 5th in 3rd round)
3: Gates: 7th pick 3rd round (gonzo went 2nd in 3rd round)
4 (6 team league): 1st in the third round! 8-o (Gonzo was 5th in the 4th).

The first gonzo was me, auto draft.

My TE picks and rounds for the others:
2: Witten in the 6th
3: Heiden in the 8th
4: McMichael in the 12th
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:41 pm

Gates is easily worth any 3rd round pick if your lineup is limited. I'd draft him in the latter 3rd in just about any draft.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:40 pm

Yeah, there's really no argument as to whether or not Gates is good value in the 3rd round. I'm really interested to hear if people think Gates is worth a 2nd-round pick. For the 2-3 of you who said you wouldn't take Gates in the second, what players would you add to my list as ones you would consider taking ahead of Gates? Also, this isn't a keeper question, because my mind is pretty much made up, but I'm curious whether people would really keep CJ/Holt/etc. over Gates even though he's putting up as many points/game as those receivers (just like he did last year).
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:03 pm

FF Newbie wrote:Yeah, there's really no argument as to whether or not Gates is good value in the 3rd round. I'm really interested to hear if people think Gates is worth a 2nd-round pick. For the 2-3 of you who said you wouldn't take Gates in the second, what players would you add to my list as ones you would consider taking ahead of Gates? Also, this isn't a keeper question, because my mind is pretty much made up, but I'm curious whether people would really keep CJ/Holt/etc. over Gates even though he's putting up as many points/game as those receivers (just like he did last year).

I think I would have to agree with you. It is much easier to find a wide out off the WW then a tight end. The only guy I can think of is Steve Heiden, who has performed decently. But compared to the amount of pretty decent WR's who were taken really late or picked up later. I think I may keep Chad Johnson over gates, but thats it. Steve Smith warrants some consideration, but the offense in Cinci has much more potential.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:35 pm

I would take a stud WR at any point in the 2nd... Now that Gates has established himself, I don't see why he is not worth a 2nd round pick as well. An argument could be made that Gates should actually be a FIRST round pick ala Randy Moss/TO simply because he outscores his TE peers by so much, and the fact that TE is typically a low scoring position.

Last year he breaks the TE record, show me again. This year he is producing like a freaking stud WR. I'm a believer.
It's pretty simply actually, the Charger's have LT so Gates is gonna get his chances. Defenses have yet to prove they can stop the guy. LBers can't cover him... CBs and Safeties are too small to stop him... The guy has an amazing knack at grabbing the jump ball... so much so that it's like he had beaten the defenders on the route rather than him just taking the ball away from them.

This train is gonna keep on rolling until an injury hits IMO. IF you can get him in the 3rd round next year it's gonna be a steal. Antonio Gates is rewriting the fantasy TE position...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:16 pm

as for guys i might add to the list, i don't know ,but i would definitely make dd a keeper as i expect him to be a force next year. I might add one of the rookie Rbs as we are still yet to see what their situations look like for next year. Also I would think about Deuce Mcallister. I would make manning a definite, what about Portis? all things considered he's had a pretty good year so far. Moss is a glaring omission from that list. And maybe the lesser moss should be a consideration for some, but i would leave him off (s. moss). Dillon? maybe too old for a keeper. Way to stir up the pot FFnewbie.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:24 pm

Yeah, I definitely would not keep Deuce, Dillon, or Santanna Moss over Gates. I don't think I'd keep Randy either. He really hasn't been very effective the past two years--way too many injuries.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:39 pm

I got Gates at 4.12 O:-) in one league and the difference he makes in leagues that require a TE is just staggering. It's like being spotted an 8 point Lead (at Least) before the game even starts (and that's if Gates has a so-so game and the opposing TE does pretty well) If Gates goes off (aka the KC Game..31 POINTS in my league) It's pretty much over.

I could definately see takin' him late 2nd.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk