Who is getting an Xbox 360? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Who is getting an Xbox 360?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby washamur » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:52 pm

About 6 months ago, the local EB here in Midland started taking pre-orders on the 360. I went right down and dropped the $50 needed.

I gradually started applying more towards the purchase and then found out that I was being transferred to San Antonio. I called the closest EB to my address there and they had 1 spot remaining. I took my applied payments, put them on a "EDGE" card and when I got settled in, went to the EB I had called and put it back on a 360 there.

Well, here I am ... BACK in Midland ... and I can't transfer the money back -- obviously all the pre-orders here are long taken. So, when I get off work Monday (21st) - I will be making the 6 hour drive BACK to San Antonio.

The store manager there called me to tell me they were only getting 12 systems ... and I was #13 -- but, I was the only one with the system completely paid off - plus 4 games - and since I was coming from Midland, they would hold it for me.

So the morning of the launch, I will be driving back to Midland after picking mine up. :)

What I'm Getting:

Xbox 360 Premium
Call of Duty 2
Project Gotham Racing 3
NBA 2K6
Madden 06
Play and Charge Unit

It's a shame I wont be able to play them till late Tuesday (22nd) evening.
QB-BigBen Delhomme Edwards Quinn
RB-LJ Gore DMAC CJohnson Slaton
WR-Driver Chambers Bowe Brown
TE-Gates
K-Prater
5-IDP's
washamur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nilmerf » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:42 am

I would advise strongly against anyone getting Madden 06. All reviews indicate that it is a step backwards from recent Madden games in every department except visuals. Looks like a rush job.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ ... tml?page=1
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:36 pm

Alkaholik wrote:This may sound pathetic but had to add it in, I'm buying the xbox alright! the Regular xbox that is haha.

Sick and tired of not being able to play Madden online because my Xbox is modded, sure I got any game I wanted for free, but it comes to a point of getting tired of playing the computer, so I am going to buy a mod-free xbox this week soley to play madden on xbox live.

you should try xbox connect. its xbox mod friendly and free, thats where i go to play halo ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:22 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:This may sound pathetic but had to add it in, I'm buying the xbox alright! the Regular xbox that is haha.

Sick and tired of not being able to play Madden online because my Xbox is modded, sure I got any game I wanted for free, but it comes to a point of getting tired of playing the computer, so I am going to buy a mod-free xbox this week soley to play madden on xbox live.

you should try xbox connect. its xbox mod friendly and free, thats where i go to play halo ;-D

Yea, I have xbconnect, but it only works on games with direct link, which means they allow you to hook up 2 xbox's together and play 8 player.

I am buying another xbox and xbox live just for Madden, because Madden does not have the direct link in the game, therefor u cant play it on XKai or XB Connect.

But if you are ever on Xb connect for games like halo 2, u should give me a holler ;-D

We should have a CAFE madden tourney on xbox Live, what you guys think?

As for the 360, my boss just walked in with one, damn it is sick, straight wireless controllers only, removable 20 gig HD, the lights on it are sick, has like 3 or 4 usb connections and the external power supply it comes with is like a brick with an industrial power cord.

Looks fricken sweet.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby gogogadget » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:33 pm

10 reasons to wait for the PS3.

I am convinced by Reason #4: Full Backwards Compatibility and Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player

It is a bit more appealing than the $400 xbox 360 and same price.
Last edited by gogogadget on Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:55 pm

gogogadget wrote:10 reasons to wait for the PS3.

I am convinced by Reason #4: Full Backwards Compatibility and Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player

It is a bit more appealing than the $400 xbox 360 and same price.

First of all, you can't compare vaporware to actual units that were sold today. From everything I'm hearing, the PS3 will be more expensive than the XBOX360.

Second of all, there's still a fight over HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Intel, MS, Time Warner, Univeral, Paramount, HBO, New Line backed HD-DVD. If Blu-Ray goes the way of the Betamax, do you really want a Blu-Ray player?

The PS3 is so far away that there might be a compromise in the meantime or one of the formats will win. Who knows? Therefore, championing a system whose specs you don't know and will not know seems foolish.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Slingblade » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:15 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Said it a million times before...I have a PC, so I have no need for an xbox.

same here..id rather play the games on my pc...better graphics on my machine than the xbox
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby gogogadget » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:32 pm

by the way, I meant to have a link to the article in my last post...i edited it.

But the PS3 will probably be $400 just like the xbox 360. Yeah, they have a 300 dollar version but why buy the worst of the three. If you pay 300 then you are not getting nearly what's advertised.
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Manja » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:24 pm

The consoles very well may be $400 each (most likely not), but the games.. the games are where it is at. $70 for a PS3 game?
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby gogogadget » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:19 pm

"Let’s just hope the actual meaning got lost in translation somewhere (it did, sort of). GameGeekNews is reporting that Hirokazu Hamamura, president of Enterbrain (who publish everyone’s favorite overseas magazine, Famitsu) spoke at the CESA Developers Conference. He believes that all next-generation games will see a price increase, and pointed out that he believes PlayStation 3 games will be in the price range of 7,800 to 8,800 YEN, or $70 to $79 in the U.S. when calculated.

While this is a bit on the scary side, 1up is quick to point out (and justly so) that games in general cost more in Japan anyways - you have to pay almost $70 for a PlayStation 2 game over there. So in Japan, Hamamura is expecting an increase of $10. So will we see $60 PlayStation 3 games in the States? Quite possibly, but that was already expected. It is still outrageous, but nothing to cry over too much"

Not quite $70, more like $60 at the tops. Same as 360 I believe.

Either way, I am waiting for the release of the PS3 so that I may make a decision. There is no way I am spending $400, or $300 if I know I can dish out another $50-100 and get the superior machine. They are building the PS3 to last for atleast 10 years. So while the xbox owners are paying another $400 for the xbox 720, I will still be using the state-of-the-art console.
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games