Is this crazy or what!?!?!?! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this crazy or what!?!?!?!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this crazy or what!?!?!?!

Postby e3d02 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:25 am

I am in an 8 man standard league with the starters being 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D. the rules are standard for yahoo and every thing was fine....

Then after last week i realized that the commisioner had changed the rules to 1 POINT PER CATCH. I argued with him on the phone for an hour last night, but he says he said it at the draft. Some members said they heard it, others are as mad as i am. i drafted for TD's, not catches!!! THIS RULE MAKES WR the most valuable position on the field.
EXAMPLE: a catch by moss for 1 yard gave a point to opponet. it just doesnt make sense. QBs dont get a point per completion, and RBs for carries.
MY FIRST 2 PICKS were RB's like many of u out there
my WR are stallworth, Robinson, issac bruce, and rod gardner.
DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS RULE IS CRAZY!?!?!
e3d02
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DudeLaw » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:48 am

THAT'S BUNK MAN!....whether he did say it at the draft or not, that scoring system sucks. What kind of bizarro league is Randy Moss more valuable than Priest Holmes or Ricky Williams?!?!.....dude, continue to fight that, even to the point where you threaten to scrap your team. You got totally screwed!
DudeLaw
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby e3d02 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:02 am

thank u, and ya know wats funny i found about the whole thing....he drafted T OWENS, Plaxico Burress, and Eric Moulds first.....and he is winning by HUGE margins over everyone....i am so pissed, and some people are sticking up for him. thank god this is a for fun league. i am in a money league, me being the commissioner, and i PRINTED up rules, handed out week b4 draft. Thanks for the support ;-D
e3d02
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SinCity » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:48 am

I wouldn't show up anymore and make a big stink. But thats just me.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jeru » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:53 am

It all depends on whether or not he did in fact tell people at the draft that was the way the scoring system would be setup. If he drafted 3 WR with his first 3 picks, then clearly he must have at least thought that he had made that clear.

If he set up the league incorrectly and realized that after week 1 had been played, I think it was fine for him to make that change if that was in fact what everyone agreed on.

My league also awards 1 point per reception, and I wouldn't be too worried about you taking RBs the first two rounds even in that type of scoring system. I have noticed that excellent performances by either a WR or an RB tend to score about 25 points, while a decent performance by either scores 10-15 points (ie Coles scored me 26 points this week, the same as Priest Holmes or Jamal Lewis would have scored, while Faulk and Harrison both scored me around 12 points with so-so games.).

The difference though is that RBs are more consistent from game to game, while WRs can be very boom and bust. Since you will have 2 strong RBs, you should be able to make up for his strong WRs, because if he didn't take a RB until round 4, he probably has like Stacey Mack and Emmitt Smith as his starters. There are only maybe 15 solid RBs, while there's probably 30+ solid WRs, so you still have an advantage by going RB-RB, just not as large of one as in normal drafts. Also, keep in mind that RBs also get receptions, so it's not as big a deal as you think.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SinCity » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:59 am

Who cares. Adding a bunk rule like that on draft day isn't right. It's a stupid way to score a fantasy league anyway. Makes little since.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:37 am

Better than the commish of this 16 team league I'm in.

First, before the draft, return yards are set for crazy high points, like 5 return yards=1pt or something.

Then, at the draft, he said that was a mistake and he was going to take away points for return yards.

Some people didn't hear him, and drafted return guys anyways, and then after the draft he says nevermind, he's gonna leave it how it is.

Then, he meant to set completions to .5 pts and incompletions to -.5, but accidentally left the decimal out on incompletions, but put the decimal in on completions, meaning completions are 0.5 as they should be, but incompletions are -5! No one even noticed until the scores for week 1 started pouring in. We start 2 qb's also, my qb's got me -150pts in week 1. To top it off, he's gone AWOL now so we can't change it.

Oh well, at least it weeds out the inactives since they haven't benched their qb's :p.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:18 am

One point per catch isn't that far fetched. I'm in one like that, and I know a lot that do that.

Anyway, what is messed up is how the rule changed. That shouldn't have happened, especially right before the draft.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4Pack » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:54 pm

I am also in a league with 1 point per reception and Yahoo standard scoring otherwise and RB's are still the most valuable commodity in our league. A Randy Moss is still not near as valuable as a top 5 RB in our league.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:23 pm

its a fairly common rule, but not knowing of it at the draft isnt right. :-t
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk