Does someone in your league have your number? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does someone in your league have your number?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The_Dude » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:15 pm

I can never beat the Dudette... my team is always better, but she always wins.

I think the fantasy gods are punishing me for making her watch football all day on Sunday.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:45 pm

The_Dude wrote:I can never beat the Dudette... my team is always better, but she always wins.

I think the fantasy gods are punishing me for making her watch football all day on Sunday.

That's classic! My BF has never beaten me either.....edit: at fantasy football!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ampant » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:19 pm

Paladyr wrote: He has SA and LT this year with some terrible receivers.

How did he get both those guys on the same team?
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:45 pm

Never been owned....yet......
and only consider myself fortunate in this regard.

The Dude brought up an interesting point though....

In our league we also have a pair of teams that "were" husband and wife (they divorced last year). Regardless of their individual team records each year.....she has beaten him 10 of 11 times over the past seven years

Proving at least one of the fantasy Gods is a woman[/quote]
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:50 pm

After all my angst over this loss, the guy was actually very cordial about it. I figured he'd rub my nose in it big time, but overall it wasn't much.

It sucks to lose, and it sucks big time to lose the way I did, but if your opponent doesn't make you suffer for it, it gets a little easier to take.

But only a little. ;-)

------------------------------------------

Here's how I wrote this up for my weekly rag. Feel free to tell me it's better than Shakespeare. My team is the Comets, his is Tsunami...

The gods of fantasy football like to play their jokes, do they not? After all the stats I mentioned in my preview last week showing the statistical domination of the Comets over Tsunami through the first nine weeks of the season, all that gets tossed out the window with one bizarre, meaningless play late in a game that had been decided two quarters prior. Let me paint the scene…

We pick up action late Sunday afternoon. The Comets have streaked out to a 54-32 lead on the strength of the Bears D and some great running by Greg Jones, a bye-week filler for LT2, and Warrick Dunn. We’re deep into the Seattle/St. Louis game featuring Tsunami’s Hasselbeck and the Comets’ Bulger, Engram and Stevens. Bulger and my Seahawks haven’t done much, but then neither has Hass. Meanwhile, Moss, Davis and Mike Anderson are toiling away for Tsunami, earning next to nothing late in their games. I start to feel confident that I can notch this one up. I get on with the business of playing with my daughter and making dinner, only checking Live Scoring occasionally here and there. Life is good.

Suddenly, in the span of less than five minutes, Hasselbeck, Davis, Moss and Anderson each score. It’s now 56-54 Tsunami, and it’s LATE in these games. I need some juice and I need it now or I’m going down. Up steps Bulger with a sweet pass that finally isn’t dropped by his receiver (Holt and Bruce had both dropped sure completions earlier, Holt doing so in the end zone). I jump back on top, 60-58. A few more minutes and a few more yards from Bulger, Dunn and Stevens and the late afternoon games end. I’m up 66-60. Mo only has Antonio Bryant left to play. I’m feeling pretty good. Bryant has scored less than six points in six of his seven games so far. He’s only found the end zone in one game all year. He often checks out of games when he gets frustrated by a good defensive backfield, and he’s facing the Steelers – one of the better backfields in the NFL.

Through three quarters of the game Sunday night Bryant has four catches for 78 yards, with one fumble. He’s still four points shy of beating me. The only way I can lose is if he gets in the end zone. The Steelers have this game wrapped up before halftime, and late in the fourth quarter they put the final dagger in the heart of the Browns, taking a 34-14 lead with just over two minutes to go. They kick off, and the Browns begin their drive. It’s uneventful, except that the Steelers are playing Prevent, so Cleveland is moving down the field. They’re taking plenty of time to do it, and the game is all but over when the Browns get inside the 10 yard line with 40 seconds to go.

Mind you, I’m up watching this game – the only Sunday Night Football game I’ve watched all year. I want to know I’ve won bad enough to stomach that trio of idiots ESPN hired to announce these games. Whether it makes my ears bleed to hear them say such inane things as, “Nobody wanted him to get that record more than the whole football team,” I had to know that I won. I had to. I’ve lost so many times to Tsunami that I want to see the door actually slammed shut before going to bed.

So here it is. First and goal, seven yard line. Forty-two seconds to go. I have to hope that A) the Browns don’t score, B) the Browns kick a meaningless field goal, or C) they score with ANYONE ELSE than Bryant. First down – the Steelers cover everyone, and with the pocket collapsing Dilfer throws the ball away. Fan in the stands gets a souvenir, stuffed in his sweatshirt. One play over, three to go. Second down - Dilfer fires a laser to Dennis Northcutt in the back of the end zone, but about ten feet too high. This one doesn’t make it into the stands, but it’s close. Two plays done, I’m still alive. Third down – third straight shotgun snap; the Browns are intent on scoring here because it will REALLY matter in the end. Dilfer again overshoots his receiver, this time Braylon Edwards; nowhere near a catchable ball. Three plays down – will they kick a meaningless field goal or do they WANT that meaningless TD?

Fourth down. This is the last offensive play of anyone on Mo’s roster. Twenty-seven seconds left. It has to happen right now or I win. Cleveland lines up in shotgun again. Apparently it’s the meaningless TD or nothing for them. Dilfer gets the ball, rolls slightly to his right. The Steelers bring pressure with their front four only, dropping seven into coverage. Some Steeler (I don’t know who) pops through the line and heads for Dilf, about five steps away. Dilfer fades a couple more steps to his right, and WHAM – fires a bullet to the end zone. The defender is all over the receiver, so for a moment it’s impossible to tell who got it. The ball is juggled, but immediately you see the receiver grasp it and fall to the turf, right in the middle of the end zone.

It’s Antonio Bryant.

I leaped up from my chair hardly believing my eyes. They call interference on the play, but it doesn’t matter – Bryant hangs on. I literally shout “NOOOOO!!!” at the top of my lungs, not caring if I wake Maddie up (she doesn’t), absolutely shocked by this. I hold my head in my hands as Bryant lays there in the end zone, cradling the ball. I’m stunned.

But there it is. The only catchable ball Dilfer throws in that whole sequence, to the only player who can beat me, with the only outcome that can hurt my team, to score a meaningless touchdown in a game that had been decided two quarters prior.

And Maurice wins.

In the grand scheme of things this loss will probably not mean much. I’m still comfortably ensconced atop my division. I’m going to the playoffs, and once there I don’t care who I play or what week it is – I’ve got the firepower to beat anyone. Instead of wrapping up the Campbell division crown in week ten, which I would have with a win, I drop to only a one game lead over the Tsunami.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:36 am

I have not beaten one of the guys in our league for over 3 years, this includes a championship game. We have played about 9 games and I have had a comperable record to him and even better teams than him but he always seems to beat me. !+) :-#
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Cooner » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:05 am

footballchick23 wrote:That's classic! My BF has never beaten me either.....edit: at fantasy football!

erm... so when HAS he beaten you? There are places you can go and people you can see you know... ;-)

There's this guy in my league who has my number. We've played in a league for three or four years, and we're always near the top. He's beaten me the only time we've faced in the title game (though my team didn't belong there anyway, it wasn' that good). This year, we both drafted a very nice team, but my is exceptional. I've been cruising, putting up huge points every week, and lead the league in total points by 200 points (with a total of 1500ish).

The first week we play is week one. Thanks to the Hurculean play of Willie Parker, I put up 145 points. This total has only been beaten 4 times so far this season, by any team in any week. Of course, one of those 4 times is week one, by my opponent. He puts up 147 and takes the W. I say, grrr, I'll get you next time.

Week 8 rolls around, time for the rematch, but things aren't looking so good. I've got SA and Dunn on bye weeks, but I manage to snag Marion Barber off the WW for a spot start. Behind a great week by Barber, a nice effort by Joey Galloway, and great days by both of my QBs, I put up a new league record 163 points. Of course, this is also the week that Steve Smith puts up 200 yards and a TD, and Fred Taylor and Kevin Jones put up great games- he scores 166 and takes the W again.

I can't buy a win against this guy...
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bunko » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:17 am

I'm my old league wich I was in for five years before I droped out this year there was this guy I never beat. What realy made me sick though was two years in a row he beat me by 1 FRIGI'N PIONT!!! I mean seriously what are the odds of losing to the same team two years in a row by a combined 2pts.

Now I'm in a keeper league that me and my bro started and I have a new rival. Last year when I played this guy I was up by like 20 pionts giong into monday night. I had DJax giong and he had Julious Jones(who I drafted but droped). So I figure I'm fine...WRONG!!! JJ runs amuck and we tie something like 133 to 133(stupid yahoo no tie breaks), then he beats me second round of the playoffs.

I played him for the first time this year over the week end and of course its the week LT is on his bye, I get destroyed by Alexander, Fitz, carolina D, Hinez Ward(I kept burleson instead Awgh!). I'll get him someday.
Bunko
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:17 am

Cooner wrote:
footballchick23 wrote:That's classic! My BF has never beaten me either.....edit: at fantasy football!

erm... so when HAS he beaten you? There are places you can go and people you can see you know... ;-)

He doesn't really, it's just that when I typed it, I figure someone would go there, so I just beat them to it! :-b I do feel bad beating him at FF though...I look at it as a better chance of getting in the $$!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk