William Green - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

William Green

Moderator: Football Moderators

William Green

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:40 am

Is Willy Green going to turn it around? I just traded Coles for him, and he was to rotate in my second RB spot with Garner (behind Alexander).

The way he's going, he won't ever play except in bye weeks.

What does everyone think? Is this like last year? Slow start?...

Should I worry? :-o
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slowkidz » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:48 am

one of the main probs so far is that their FB is injured and while he's recouping, they have two backup TEs pulling the lead blocking duties. Neither one "enjoy" this job, so there aren't many holes for him to hit.

the last two games, he's been looking like he's holding back still. he hit a few holes (limited amount) hard yesterday and thats when he went for 7-9 yds each time. but right now, it looks like he's a lil timid still. i wouldn't be too worried just yet. once his FB comes back, next week or so i think, things should start to look up.

oh...and the browns finding a passing game wouldn't hurt either.....ugh...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:54 am

What also may have help his slow start is that he played a Ravens D that was already mad before his dumb challenge to R Lewis, and the Colts D seems tougher than expected. Don't give up on him yet, but look out for White to take away rushes if he doesn't get going soon. White gives them the option for the pass, and they need big help there too.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:05 am

You think they'd give up on him this early even with the way he finished last year?

And, you think this might be a product of the Browns getting their butts kicked and not being able to run? Or is it Green himself?
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

It is not Green fault

Postby NFLknowitall » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:56 am

The problem is Holcomb. Green is running hard and has made some nice cutbacks etc... 1st game he ran for over 80 yards and looked good in a crap 9-6 loss to the Colts. Last week Jamal Lewis ran all over them and they were losing so bad the quit running the ball and just threw. But Green had over 50 yards in that game also. I'm disappointed in Holcomb. I thought the Browns were close to turning it around after their playoff game last year. Holcomb will probalby get one more week then Tim Couch will come in if he does not improve. Don't give up on Green, he just needs some help.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cardigan65 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:20 pm

I second that. Green is a good back who could do a lot of damage if he had either a strong o-line or a legit passing attack that kept the defenses honest. He has neither right now. He'd be a solid 2nd back if the Cleveland offense could stay close enough in ballgames to keep their running game relevant.
cardigan65

Friendliness: %

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:56 pm

cardigan65 wrote:I second that. Green is a good back who could do a lot of damage if he had either a strong o-line or a legit passing attack that kept the defenses honest. He has neither right now.

OK, but will he get either by the end of the year and return to #2 back numbers?
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby slowkidz » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:32 pm

i think the oline is doing well. holcomb has had plenty of time to throw and they are keeping the dline contained. once there is a lead blocker for him, he won't be able to get very far past that line. whether the passing game comes from kelly or tim, that will work wonders for his game. until then the defense will just stack the box and force the browns to throw and prove themselves. all of these things will be corrected this year, and sooner more than later.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to Football Talk