Who are the best non starting running backs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who are the best non starting running backs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:31 am

Tatum Bell, Marion Barber (although he might not be considered a "backup" at this point), and a rare vote for Maurice Morris.
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:03 am

Chester Taylor is the only true good back that isnt starting, that dude could be a beast!
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:19 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Now, let's flesh out my list by examining the contract situations of the backs, and the backs ahead of them, while also considering the possible retirements of the guys playing ahead of these guys:

Chester Taylor - Free Agent in 2006 (as is Jamal Lewis)

Najeh Davenport - Free Agent in 2006 (as is Ahman Green)

Chris Perry - under contract in 2006 (as is Rudi Johnson)

DeShaun Foster - Free Agent in 2006 (Stephen Davis under contract, but possible retirement)

Ladell Betts - under contract in 2006 (as is Clinton Portis)

Dominic Rhodes - under contract in 2006 (Edgerrin James is a free agent in '06)

Michael Pittman - under contract in 2006 (as is Cadillac Williams)

Greg Jones - under contract in 2006 (Fred Taylor likely to retire, and LeBrandon Toefield is a free agent)

Derrick Blaylock - under contract in 2006 (as is Curtis Martin, but possible retirement)

And the RBBC guys:

TJ Duckett - under contract in 2006 (as is Warrick Dunn)

Ricky Williams - under contract in 2006 (as is Ronnie Brown)

Travis Henry - under contract in 2006 (as is Chris Brown)

Tatum Bell - under contract in 2006 (as is Mike Anderson)

So, now let's do a ranking based on the likelihood that these guys will have a starting job next year, based on not only their own contract status, but the contract status of the guy playing ahead of them:

1) Chester Taylor
2) Najeh Davenport (coming off injury)

3) DeShaun Foster
4) Dominic Rhodes

5) Derrick Blaylock
6) Greg Jones (competition from Pearman)

7) Chris Perry
8) Michael Pittman
9) Ladell Betts

And since all the RBBC backs are under contract themselves, and their other halves are under contract as well, we'll rank them based on the likelihood that the other back in the RBBC either retires, is cut, or is traded, OR the likelihood that they are traded themselves:

1) Ricky Williams - the Dolphins best bait to go fishing for a QB

2) Tatum Bell - Denver loves to trade their starting back in the offseason

3) Travis Henry - the Titans may look to shop Brown for help elsewhere

4) TJ Duckett - Dunn is aging, but he's having his best season ever. I don't see him retiring just yet.

Lovely List...Can you do this with Johnathan Wells and Dom Davis?

Jonathan Wells must get a look b4 Morency. Wells consistently has great games when filling in for DDavis. 2 consectutive seasons with great injury induced starts. End of '05 appears to be his third season. Selected in the 4th round.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:21 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:Lovely List...Can you do this with Johnathan Wells and Dom Davis?

Jonathan Wells must get a look b4 Morency. Wells consistently has great games when filling in for DDavis. 2 consectutive seasons with great injury induced starts. End of '05 appears to be his third season. Selected in the 4th round.

Jonathan Wells is a Free Agent following the 2005 season... Likely will be released as Vernand Morency and Dom Davis will both be under contract....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:25 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
UNDEFEATED wrote:Lovely List...Can you do this with Johnathan Wells and Dom Davis?

Jonathan Wells is a Free Agent following the 2005 season... Likely will be released as Vernand Morency and Dom Davis will both be under contract....

Wells could thrive as a featured back on some needfull team, maybe the Jets would be a good fit.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:59 pm

Another RBBC to consider is Staley/Parker/Bettis/Haynes. Bettis has said he will retire. Staley has 3 more years left on his contract. But there was talk earlier in the year that Staley would end up back in Philly since the Stillers assumedly wouldn't need him anymore with Parker's emergence.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby MadScott » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:39 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Greg Jones is an obvious one.
Fason is another one that will probably fly under the radar, he has 1st round talent.
Perhaps Vernand Morency who is the 3rd stringer in Houston.
Ryan Moats of Philly perhaps, I'm not high on him but others are.
Great pull on Jones. Pearman may also factor into the mix for JAX once Taylor is done though too.

Fason would do nicely in there if given the opportunity instead of the ludicrous committee that exists there.

The only thing that is somewhat troublesome about Morency is that he is older, ala Mike Anderson when he came in, so his window may be shorter than most.

Brandon Jacobs is also pretty intriguing.

Rhodes could definitely be a nice pull too if Edge moves on. In the same vane, Maurice Morris may have a chance in SEA it SA moves on, which is looking less and less likely.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:05 am

Redskins Win wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Wells could thrive as a featured back on some needfull team, maybe the Jets would be a good fit.

Totally agree, I've been a big fan of his since his college days...given the opportunity he'll run with it (so to speak).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:42 am

Best non-starting running back has got to be Mike Anderson or tatum Bell, whichever one doesn't start.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:24 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:Best non-starting running back has got to be Mike Anderson or tatum Bell, whichever one doesn't start.

I'm not so sure about that.... Denver has proven time and again that anyone can run in their system... I'd have to see what Bell or Anderson do outside of Denver before I start touting them as being top notch RB's....

The good news is that the Broncos will most certainly trade Mike Anderson in the off-season, and we'll get to see what both backs can do in a featured role...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk