People who refuse to trade with teams w/ better records? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

People who refuse to trade with teams w/ better records?

Moderator: Football Moderators

People who refuse to trade with teams w/ better records?

Postby warrick95 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:06 pm

Okay, so I have a good number of RBs (although Julius Jones is a tad bit shaky right now), but have Boldin, Housh, and Stallworth at WR, and thus am pretty bad there. I want to swing a deal to trade an RB for a WR...so I see this guy who started Droughns and Staley last week. He has Betts on his bench along with Jerome Bettis. He has Harrison, Santana, Hines Ward, and Moulds at WR (start three with a flex), so I figure that we may very well work out a deal.

However, he tells me that it is a matter of principle for him to not trade with any teams that have better records than him. Pardon me, but I don't get it. Yes, I am in 2nd place in record, but I am actually only 6th in points scored. In addition, if it's a trade that will benefit both, why does it matter who he's trading with? :-t

Any of y'all have any input/experiences with this?
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:22 pm

well, any plan in roto had better not be "iron clad" as sometimes, overpaying for a piece is wise, holding onto someone against better judgment, perhaps taking a 0 at a position rather than cutting an asset, etc.

However, it makes no sense to trade to improve your team if you are locking it up for another team. So I could in theory have a trade that would move me from 5th to 2nd, but the number one guy has an almost definite win. What is the ultimate point?

I don't get it as an absoloute strategy, and I tend to think those who are rigid lose more often than not. We know the type -- never trade a stud rb for a wr, because of scarcity, despite the fact a stud rb is on the bench and they have greg lewis and donte stallworth as starters.

I think all you can do is highlight the benefit and if they don't get it, their loss. BUT unfrotuantely, you might have to scale down your asking price for the next guy (eventually) as another potential trading parter is removed from the equation.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:26 pm

It's all in how you sell it sometimes. No one would trade with me in my league...seriously....because I won it last year and they don't want me to do it again. It sucks, but the only way I can really trade is if I really sell low on someone.

It's like you have to convince the other person that he's getting the better deal...sometimes they bite and sometimes they don't. It sucks, but you never know when desperation might cause someone to change their mind! Good Luck!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bwagner112 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:26 pm

As much as it sucks and it is frustrating, I think the bottom line is, he can do whatever he wants. It very well may hurt his team to not make the deal, but if that's what he wants, then so be it
bwagner112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:42 pm

bwagner112 wrote:As much as it sucks and it is frustrating, I think the bottom line is, he can do whatever he wants. It very well may hurt his team to not make the deal, but if that's what he wants, then so be it

Agreed, it's his team, he can do what he wants with it.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:46 pm

Sometimes this makes it impossible for you to win... and that frustrates me. If i don't consider myself to have the best team... and no one will trade with me, then I get stuck with a mediocre team i can't improve.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:52 pm

it's his loss. if everyone else is trading and he's limiting his opportunity for bettering his team, he's only hurting himself ultimately.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:59 pm

I dont see a problem with it, Its the same as Philly dealing TO to Dallas or Washington.

The only other thing worse than having TO on their team is having him play against you and beat you.

I'm sure he's not the only team to trade with in your league.

and if there is a player you are dying to get and that ass has it, try to negotiate with another team to pull a 3-way trade for them to get that player and then you to get that player from ther 3rd team.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby ampant » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:06 pm

I would file a grievance with the FFLPA. ;-7
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby LouisC9999 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Just out of curiosity, what were you thinking of proposing?
LouisC9999
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk