People who refuse to trade with teams w/ better records? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

People who refuse to trade with teams w/ better records?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby henryhormann » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:47 pm

I agree with bwagner112, the guy can do what he wants. He sounds like a dweeb who isn't much fun to have in the league, but trading philosophies are always unique to the individual.

I don't have any policies like this on trading myself, but I would say conversely that having people who insist that everyone makes trades or get offended when their deals are rejected w/o counter-offers are just as obnoxious sometimes. It's a game, folks!
henryhormann
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:16 pm

I was probably going to offer Chris Brown for Marvin Harrison and expect to get it shot down to Chris Brown for Hines Ward.

I'm not really criticizing him for his choice not to trade, because it's his team. I'm trying to tap into the psychology of these people...it really doesn't make much sense to me...that's all. Despite my better record, I have only scored around twenty more points than him total over the entire season. I have had a very soft schedule.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby Kilroy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:24 pm

footballchick23 wrote:It's all in how you sell it sometimes. No one would trade with me in my league...seriously....because I won it last year and they don't want me to do it again. It sucks, but the only way I can really trade is if I really sell low on someone.

It's like you have to convince the other person that he's getting the better deal...sometimes they bite and sometimes they don't. It sucks, but you never know when desperation might cause someone to change their mind! Good Luck!

I'm in the same boat...The one trade I managed to get accepted in my $$$ league was vetoed overwhelmingly, and one owner as much as told me that it was because I'm the defending champ and "they" don't want to see me win again. Just motivates me more to smoke their a***s. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby maddog60 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:37 pm

Some people are like that, and well their records suffer for it usually. Some people just don't get that trading is all about improving your team overall, and you have to give something that will improve the other team in order to make yours better. However, some people are too petty, and don't want to let anyone else's team improve.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:55 am

NOBODY in my league will trade. Our trade deadline passed last Friday and there were zero trades in our league. Mostly I think this happens because people don't educate themselves to the true value of the players involved.

One guy made a serious offer of his Antonio Gates for my LT2. He seemed miffed when I declined.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby octagon999 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:13 am

Agree with the "nobody trades in our league" post. Maybe there is just something congenital about trading? I mean, they will do WW pickups and drops every day of the week. But propose a trade for someone and its not even considered.

I have offered players for someone, had it refused, and literally within the same week, seen the player I asked for dropped to the WW for some other player.

And we aren't talking me asking for SA in return for Boller. I just think there's some wierd FFL psychology at work.
octagon999
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Matthias » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:23 am

octagon999 wrote:Agree with the "nobody trades in our league" post. Maybe there is just something congenital about trading?

there's been academic work on people's perception of value because, contrary to what economist's assume, people behave irrationally. one study i heard about people had coffee mugs put in front of them on a table and were asked to write down on a piece of paper how much they would pay for each. then their valuations were collected and everyone was randomly assigned a mug. afterwards, they gave everyone the chance to trade mugs with everyone else and people refused to trade a mug that they had assigned a lower value to for a mug that they had assigned a higher. so there's apparently an attachment/ownership premium that people put on to things that i'd guess would translate over to fantasy football. "my thing is better because i own it" kind of mentality... which makes trading tough.

and then there's also people's just general risk-aversion, that they would rather do the safe nothing rather than be burned by doing something and not having it work out... why so many nfl coaches kick the extra point with no time left and go to overtime rather than go for 2 and win the game (like kc did this past weekend... joining only the vikings as the only team to ever do so).

so yes... getting someone to trade is a pain. even when, objectively, it should make sense.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ball of goof » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:11 pm

thanks, matthias, that study on perception of value was extremely interesting and i think relates directly to this discussion. economists be damned, it's obvious people behave irrationally. further, your point of risk-aversion is well taken. i often get the feeling that owners don't want to risk being seen by the league as the fool who got the short end of a trade. despite my numerous overtures, there has not been a trade in my league this season.

i needed to drop a qb and didn't want to put bledsoe on the waiver wire where my main competitors might pick him up. so i offered him to various teams either much lower in the standings or whom i would not play again this season. no takers, not even the last place team, for brooks; but he took bledsoe off waivers after i released him.

then again, like footballchick23 and kilroy1872, i have won the championship twice in a row and am going for the unprecedented threepeat. i have been told point blank that teams are doing whatever they can to prevent this. fools, destiny cannot be altered!
ball of goof
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby footballchick23 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:23 pm

ball of goof wrote: i have been told point blank that teams are doing whatever they can to prevent this. fools, destiny cannot be altered!

LOL! Isn't it funny to think about how much time the other teams must spend "plotting" against you when they should just focus on their own teams? Pure comedy!

i often get the feeling that owners don't want to risk being seen by the league as the fool who got the short end of a trade.

Our league made a big stink about the guy who basically traded LT for Portis and Westbrook to his best friend and roomate...well, he dropped 2 games after that trade and everyone was riding him. Now in his smack talk this week, he gave us all the stats for Westy and Portis to try to justify it (even though he barely won)! Sometimes it does come down to the old grade school teasing, etc. tactics...you just don't want to be that guy.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Horizons » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:36 pm

I've found the availability of trades varies greatly league to league.
My experience has been that football knowledge isn't an important criterion for guesstimating the number of trades in any given league, more important is the mental make-up of the leagues owners. For instance, one money league I'm in is comprised of 8 owners, 5 of which are employed by a P.D. and most would gladly go down with the ship rather than make a trade which could ultimately benefit another owner or worst of all, be used against them down the road. To date there hasn't been a single trade in '05. I'm not saying this is unique to people in this field of endeavor, I'm simply using it as an example.
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk