Julius Jones Situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Julius Jones Situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:53 pm

I don't think it's destined to be an RBBC at all. JJ's knock isn't his ability to be a workhorse back, but his ability to not get hurt. And his injuries aren't wear or tear ones, but legit injuries.

I was really happy with the situation last night until the last quarter. I thought for sure that JJ would be handed the rock for the last series as the more experienced RB. I thought that the choice there had a lot to do with Parcells' faith. Who knows, though. Both RBs looked pretty bad last night and most of Barber's yards came up on that draw that my grandma could've run through.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:14 pm

I just dont understand why you would go away from a guy as explosive as Julius is....It is pretty clear that he is the harder runner of the two and he is not brought down as easily as Barber is. I thought Parcells was all about having a clear-cut feature back in the offense who can become more effective with more carries.
I could understand using Barber in 3rd down situations due to his hands and pass blocking ability, but no way should he get carries over Julius in running downs. I had JJ pencilled in for a huge year and now an ankle sprain is turning him into a complete bust. :~(
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:29 pm

warrick95 wrote:I thought for sure that JJ would be handed the rock for the last series as the more experienced RB. I thought that the choice there had a lot to do with Parcells' faith.

agreed. parcells cycles through players until he finds those that accept his mindset and don't make mistakes. and then he sticks with them. the fact that it was barber, and not jones, in the last series should make jones owners very worried.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ek » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 pm

Julius Jones...the next Cadillac Williams?
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:47 pm

Ek wrote:Julius Jones...the next Cadillac Williams?

That'd be just peachy, since I own 'em both. :-P

Still, it's a little early to throw dirt on JJ (or Caddy for that matter).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Dplymkr88 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Julius spoke to the media today on DC radio and said he wasn't 100%. Not really sure how much of an impact that had. I wouldn't hit the panic button on JJ just yet. Barber, as mentioned before, has shown that he likes to put the ball on the carpet. Parcells got on him in the preseason asking him, "you're not one of those are you?" I honesly can't say which way it will go, but I wouldn't panic on JJ just yet.
Still looking for that Eagles trophy case...

Dplymkr88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:13 pm

C'mon you guys had to see this coming when the Cowboy's went out and signed Anthony Thomas in the offseason. Barber has shown as much the past few games as Julius Jones has his entire career. Face it, Julius only had to beat out Eddie George and Richie Anderson to win the job last year. Who says that he is the Cowboy's RB of the future?They gave him the carries because they had nobody better. Barber carried the ball 30 times a couple weeks ago and he was a fantasy stud also.

Julius Jones has gotten injured two years in a row now. Parcell's would be smart to limit his carries and use the Barber to keep them both fresh. Julius is just not gonna get 30 carries now that Dallas has another alternative.

If last night was any indication, Julius may not even see 50% of the carries for a few weeks until he's back at full strength. Sure Barber was ineffective and he fumbled the ball. But he was also the guy who pounded in the rock at the goalline and the guy who made a big play when they needed it. To say that Barber will be totally dismissed in favor of "30 carry stud RB Julius" just because of 1 fumble is wishful thinking at best IMO.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dplymkr88 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Kensat30 wrote:C'mon you guys had to see this coming when the Cowboy's went out and signed Anthony Thomas in the offseason. Barber has shown as much the past few games as Julius Jones has his entire career.

Um, I don't know what you've been seeing from Barber, but to say that is just a little bit of a stretch. Barber is good and I was very happy they drafted him. But to say that in the two good games Barber has had he's shown more than Julius is crazy....and that's insulting to crazy people. Anthony Thomas was signed for depth. Remember that word? Depth wins games. Dallas RB situation was horrible last year and the lack of depth was horrible. Parcells never wanted to be caught in that situation again. To provide depth for the team Barber and Thomas were brought in . Thomas as an NFL RB is slightly above Eddie George at this point in their careers. Need proof, he was unseated by an undrafted rookie.
Jones is not healthy now and I'm glad Barber is in the fold but let's keep this in perspective. My main concern is Barbers ability to hold onto the football. He's great at picking up the blitz.
Still looking for that Eagles trophy case...

Dplymkr88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:37 pm

Looking better for JJ Owners....

Nov 16 Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells wants to see RB Julius Jones in practice this week, but he is confident Jones will start Week 11. However, Parcells wants to continue using rookie RB Marion Barber III.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Previous

Return to Football Talk