College Football Game of the Week? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

College Football Game of the Week?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Game of the Week?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:48 pm

#8 Alabama (9-1) @ #11 Auburn (8-2)
57%
#9 Ohio State (8-2) @ #17 Michigan (7-3)
43%

Total votes : 23

Postby Atog » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:24 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Iron Bowl. Potential BCS berth is on the line, the fiercest rivalry in college football, and the teams are simply better ranked this year than OSU/Mich.

Potential BCS Berth, and the Fiercest Rivalry in College Football?
Arn't you talking about UM-OSU?

What does ESPN's Top 10 Sports Rivalries of all time say?
8. Auburn vs. Alabama
The "Iron Bowl"....blah, blah, blah interstate nobody cares number eight

1. Michigan vs. Ohio State
When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:40 pm

I think we've covered this before on this site.

What people consider the greatest rivalries is always going to break down to regions. Down here, they don't give a rat's ass about Michigan/OSU. They live and breathe the Iron Bowl all year. Seriously - it's bizarre. You're never going to convince someone from the south that OSU/Michigan is a better rivalry. I would assume that out west it's the same with USC/UCLA.

Don't take this as a dig against Michigan/OSU. My parents both went to MSU (that's Michigan, not Mississippi), and I grew up watching Big 10 football so I understand what it's all about.

Honestly, the only game I'm worried about Saturday is VT/UVA.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:35 pm

Atog wrote:What does ESPN's Top 10 Sports Rivalries of all time say?
8. Auburn vs. Alabama
The "Iron Bowl"....blah, blah, blah interstate nobody cares number eight

1. Michigan vs. Ohio State
When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.

Nobody cares about the Iron Bowl? Comical. It's basically the only thing anyone cares about in the entire South for 363 days a year. The other two days are dedicated to NASCAR. But otherwise, it's the Iron Bowl.

But since you enjoy quoting ESPN, I'll direct you to a more poignant article that actually discusses the rivalries as they relate to this year and, relevantly, this poll:

Pat Forde wrote:These are the games The Dash loves: the November rivalries that shape the final standings and the bowl lineup and the self-esteem of millions. Here are the 10 neighborhood disputes of greatest import playing out this week, in order of relevance:

Auburn-Alabama (1): It doesn't get any more heated than this, and the current installment of the Iron Bowl doesn't get much more high-powered. Last time the Tide and Tigers got together with a combined record better than the current 17-3 was 1994, when Alabama was 10-0 and Auburn was 9-0-1. (See? So long ago that there were still ties in college football.)

This game could have a pronounced ripple effect through the bowl picture: An Alabama win might be enough to propel the Crimson Tide into the BCS. That, in turn, would leave the SEC with at least one fewer bowl-eligible team than bowl commitments and could set off an interesting scramble.

If Auburn wins, the trickle-down scenario leads Tennessee to the Music City Bowl (where the game would be a lock sellout) and Florida to the Independence Bowl (not exactly what Gator Nation had in mind when Urban Meyer came to town). That is, if the feeble Volunteers can wheeze past Vanderbilt and Kentucky and earn a bowl bid at all.

Ohio State-Michigan (2): The classic Big Ten rivalry still could impact the league championship -- if Penn State slips at Michigan State. (Not completely out of the question despite the Spartans' miserable play of late.) And if the Buckeyes win, they'll be 9-2 and prominent among the pack of teams pushing for an at-large BCS bid and a possible date with Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. (Provided the Fighting Irish take care of business down the stretch.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... id=2224614

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tiki » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:43 pm

I chose Bama Auburn. I like Burn for this one. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Payne Dailey » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:06 am

Ala/Auburn wins 12-10
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:28 am

Long live the South! :-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gogogadget » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:20 pm

Shatner8 wrote:It has to be Ohio State-Michigan. Biggest Rivalry in all of College football and both teams are playing great right now

Biggest Rivalry is debatable. Auburn/Alabama is the biggest rivalry imo.

I vote the Iron Bowl. No explanation needed. In fact, no explanation could do it justice.
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Shatner8 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:41 pm

gogogadget wrote:
Shatner8 wrote:It has to be Ohio State-Michigan. Biggest Rivalry in all of College football and both teams are playing great right now

Biggest Rivalry is debatable. Auburn/Alabama is the biggest rivalry imo.

I vote the Iron Bowl. No explanation needed. In fact, no explanation could do it justice.

Fair. But when I think of the biggest Rivalry in College football Ohio State-Michigan automatically comes to mind. Im sure that down south Auburn and Alabama immediately comes to mind.
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to College Football