2006 NFL Mock Draft! Pick Descriptions! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2006 NFL Mock Draft! Pick Descriptions!

Moderator: Football Moderators

2006 NFL Mock Draft! Pick Descriptions!

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:02 pm

Draft order is based on Week 9 records. If a tie occurs, the worse team in my opinion is given a higher pick.

1) Houston Texans OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson
Rarely is an offensive lineman so dominant to be considered for the #1 pick. But, with Leinart having little value and Ferguson giving the Texans someone to stop Freeny twice a year, the mammoth finds a home in Houston.
2) Green Bay Packers RB Reggie Bush
Reggie Bush inches ahead of Matt Leinart to be the first USC player taken. Had Aaron Rodgers not been drafted, Leinart would go here, but with Ahman Green and Najeh Devenport's contracts up, a running back like Bush would be ideal in keeping the Packers offense clicking.
3) New Orleans Saints QB Matt Leinart
The Saints are given a gift with the 3rd pick, Matt Leinart. Aaron Brooks is no Peyton and will give Leinart at least a year to excel in the NFL. Brooks' contract is set to expire in 2007... as of now. Yes, Leinart is that good.
4) Tennessee Titans CB Jimmy Williams
Williams has great versatility and will most likely be utilized as the team's SS. A defensive stud, Williams will help the Titans defend the pass that has haunted them into the 4th overall pick.
5) New York Jets DT Rodrique Wright
The New York Jets are having a difficult time replacing Jason Ferguson at DT, and for good reason. But Wright, considered the best DT in this year's draft, should provide immediate help and give the Jets more depth at a position that was at one time their strength.
6) San Francisco 49ers DE Mario Williams
If there were a WR worthy of this high of a selection, he would be wearing maroon and gold come April. However, the best WR prospects appear to be Derek Hagan or Martin Nance. Both would be a stretch here and Mario is a big end who can do amazing work in Nolan's coveted 3-4 defense.
7) Arizona Cardinals OT Eric Winston
Eric Winston is a beast of an athlete who (obviously) more time than not, gets overlooked. Entering college as a TE, Winston was converted to one of the best offensive linemen in the country. Injuries have slowed him down in the past and may hurt his value come draft day, but Winston is a force at tackle who will be competitive in the NFL as long as his knee allows him.
8) Baltimore Ravens QB Omar Jacobs
Vince Young would be a sexy pick here, but the Ravens need a passer and they don't come any more prototypical than Jacobs. Over 4000 yards, 40+ TD passes, and only 4 INTs make Omar Jacobs a beautiful pick that should end the Ravens quarterback woes.
9) Cleveland Browns DE Mathias Kiwanuka
Kiwi is the ultimate playmaker at DE. The more explosive of the two studs (Mario being the other), Kiwi will be a pass rusher that will be a force... come the time the rest of the Browns defense forces teams to actually pass the ball.
10) Miami Dolphins LB A.J. Hawk
To have this great of a prospect fall this much would be a blessing for the Miami Dolphins. A.J. gives the Dolphins an amazing playmaker that will stop offenses at the second line of defense on any given play. Hawk is as good as they come at linebacker out of college and Saban would be happy to have someone of this caliber slip to him.
11) Minnesota Vikings RB Laurence Maroney
Hawk would have been beautiful here, but the Vikings need a running back that can carry the workload. Nobody in the NCAA puts up with more work than Maroney. With Bennett, Onterrio, Moe, and Tice all having contracts running out, a running back appears to be a prime concern and nice fit at pick 11.
12) Buffalo Bills DT Haloti Ngata
The loss of Pat Williams left Sam Adams aging and with no depth behind him. Ngata is a stud at the defensive tackle position and will help lift the Bills defense back to its dominance of only a year ago.
13) Detroit Lions OT Marcus McNeill
Marcus McNeil is the perfect fit for the Lions. Harrington's underachieving will eventually force the Lions to focus on the run and they don't get any better at run-blocking than McNeill. Heralded across the NCAA for Cadillac and Ronnie Brown's success, McNeill should compete immediately for the RT spot for the Lions.
LB 14) Oakland Raiders Chad Greenway
Oakland was given a gift this year. Their most glaring need will be addressed this draft with a VERY deep LB class. Ahmad Brooks is a possibility here, but Greenway, a senior, should be able to make the transition to the NFL quicker and become a starter immediately.
15) Philadelphia Eagles WR Derek Hagan
Obviously, this pick is pending the Owens fiasco. There are a few WRs worthy of consideration in the middle of the draft, but Hagan is most NFL-ready. If the Eagles end up losing Owens, they will want an immediate contributor, making Hagan the most sensible pick here.
16) St. Louis Rams TE Marcedes Lewis
Everyone knows the Rams need to address defense and the consistantly falling Ahmad Brooks is an option here again, but the Rams love the passing game and adding a dominant tight end like Lewis will make the Rams passing game the best one the NFL has seen in a long while.
17) New England Patriots CB Jason Allen
Allen is reluctantly an injury-prone defensvie back, but if he can show a full recovery come draft day, Allen will be in very high demand. His versatility is ideal for the Patriots' coaching system and should be a steal here if he falls.
18) San Diego Chargers ILB Ahmad Brooks
Not very often does a gem fall this low, but with the Chargers having no glaring needs except potential depth at offensive line, the Chargers can take Ahmad Brooks here and set themselves up to be ready for when Donnie Edwards, who is slowly aging, decides he's too old for the NFL.
19) Jacksonville Jaguars RB DeAngelo Williams
The last of this year's "Big Three" goes off the board late with teams earlier having more pressing needs. Williams gives the Jaguars a reliable, healthy running back who can control the game and make the Jaguars offense more potent that it has been in a long while, possibly the best in its short career.
20) Kansas City Chiefs WR Martin Nance
The Kansas City Chiefs have no WR help alongside Kennison. While defense is a need, Nance will fall and give the Chiefs' offense another dimension so defenses can no longer simply stack the line and double Gonzo.
21) Chicago Bears OLB Ernie Sims
The Chicago Bears need outside linebacker help and Ernie Sims is a talent. Similar to Randy Moss of 1998, Sims would get drafted MUCH higher without consistant off the field college problems. The Bears can take a chance on Sims, especially with a leader like Brian Urlacher leading the defense.
22) Dallas Cowboys QB Vince Young
The Drew Henson experiment is long gone and Drew Bledsoe is not the long term answer in Dallas. With the defense as consistant as it has become under Parcells, another playmaker on offense like Young would make the Cowboys a great team and contender for many years to come led by JJ and Young.
23) Tampa Bay Bucaneers WR Santonio Holmes
Tampa Bay needs an offense. The biggest need is clearly WR. Galloway stepped it up thus far this season, but at 34, how long can he last anyway? Santonio is the best WR still available and Gruden is forced to take him here.
24) Denver Broncos (From Washington) OT Andrew Whitworth
Whitworth is a beast who could fly up the draft board. Amazing upside make Whitworth a great addition for the Broncos. He could be a big disappointment as well, but the Broncos have strong enough offensive line to take the risk on Whitworth at this point in the draft.
25) Pittsburgh Steelers DT Jesse Mahelona
Cleveland Browns rejects can only do the job for so long. Mahelona will give the Broncos a Kevin Williams-esque defensive tackle who can help the Broncos control the ball as much on the defense as they do on offense.
26) New York Giants S Darnell Bing
Darnell Bing is a Top 15 prospect in my book. Underappreciated, Bing has the ability to compete immediately and will upgrade a Giants secondary that looks weak at times and is the biggest weakness on a team very close to competing for the SuperBowl.
27) Denver Broncos
28) Atlanta Falcons C Greg Eslinger
Centers usually don't go in the first round and Atlanta already has a strong rushing game, but Eslinger's versatility and sheer athletism will be a huge gift to Atlanta's rushing game and will add yards to every Mike Vick bootleg.
29) Seattle Seahawks DE Manny Lawson
The Seahawks are trapped here into taking a defensive end who can solidify their defense. Lawson is a big stretch here at 29, but with only one major need, the Seahawks draft Lawson. Trading up is a strong possibility, but if they stay here, they still need to address their defensive line needs.
30) Carolina Panthers OG Max Jean-Gilles
The Panthers have a NFL-renowned defensive line and adding offensive line help like Jean-Gilles will give the Panthers immediate help in the run-blocking department. It may take him a while to settle his weight and get adjusted to the NFL, but Jean-Gilles should contribute early in obvious rushing situations.
31) Cincinnati Bengals DT Claude Wroten
The Cincinatti Bengals defense has done an amazing job under Marvin Lewis but a run-stopper like Wroten would solidify any weakness. Wroten does an amazing job plugging holes and while he needs proper coaching to fully develop in the NFL, who better to learn from than defensive mastermind Marvin Lewis?
32) Indianapolis Colts CB Devin Hester
Talent is undisputable. Hester, however, has yet to settle into a concrete position. The Colts, with no glaring needs, can afford to risk a pick on Hester's potential and let the defensive genious of Dungy mold him into a reliable starter as the year progresses.

This Mock Draft was researched, written, and copyrighted by Bennett4prez.
Last edited by Bennett4prez on Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:07 pm

Interesting post B4P..

Didn't the Titans draft Pacman, and the Cards drafted Rolle?

I look forward to reading the rest of it though. ;-D

I do have trouble seeing Bush slide to #5 though. GB and NO wouldn't take a shot at him? Green's contract is up, and Deuce is going to be questionable for the start of next season isn't he? Maybe too early to tell there...Just would be surprised at this point if he lasted that long. Who knows maybe someone trades up for him.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daullaz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:54 pm

Pretty good mock so far. I don't see SF picking out of the top five, and you were already called on the Rolle/Pacman error. Also, you drafted Ngata twice.

I think you're off on DeAngelo; I think he's top ten for sure and will get selected over Maroney. Thanks for the read though.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crimedogg32 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:25 am

I sure hope the Packers dont take a DE hopefully Gado is the real deal and they dont have to take Bush but DE is pretty solid with KGB and Kampman in my mind
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:38 am

I don't see any way Bush falls past NO or GB with GB's RB's being FA and Deuce is a big question in NO. I don't think Tennessee will be looking at Williams there, they'd be more likely looking at Leinart if he fell or whoever is left of Williams/Kiwi. No way Jonathan Scott goes that high, might not even be a first rounder as he's struggled this year. I don't see Wright being taken top 10 and Hawk being that low. I don't see Marcus McNeil being drafted that high either, him and Scott should be replaced by Winston and Thomas IMO. Coming of an injury Allen likely won't be picked that high. Ngata is drafted twice...That's just few thoughts of mine, don't take it too harshly just trying to give some constructive criticizm.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:50 am

While I would prefer for the Fins to take an Offensive Lineman I couldn't argue with Hawk. The Fins have the oldest defense in the league and can use young talent on that side of the ball.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:51 am

Eric Winston is now fully recovered from his knee injury and is playing great. He will be a 1st round pick.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sharptongued1 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:19 am

2) Green Bay Packers DE Mathias Kiwanuka
The Packers defense is horrible. If the Texans throw a wrench into the system or trade away their top pick for someone wanting Leinart, the Packers could select D'Brickshaw, but KGB and Kiwi make for an amazing duo that will get the Packers defense out of the category of "Laughingstock".

The Packers would take Bush (much to my chagrin) or Mario Williams (a better player at the same position) before they drafted Kiwi. And oh, your assesment that they'd take Ferguson? Idiocy. We've got a couple of pro-bowl tackles. I know I know, a Vikings fan wouldn't know what those look like, but I assure you, they exist, and exist in Green Bay.
Marcus McNeil is the perfect fit for the Lions. Harrington's underachieving has left the Lions relying heavily on the run and they don't get any better at run-blocking than McNeill. Heralded across the NCAA for Cadillac and Ronnie Brown's success, McNeill should compete immediately for the RT spot for the Lions.

Not that I disagree with the pick, but dang, do you seriously not watch any divisional games? They're not even in the top half of rushing attempts this season, and that's with Kevin Jones (a top flight back).

Reach much?

Every year someone tries to put a tight end on this offense in the first round. Every year they don't. Face it, people, this is an offense that doesn't utilize the tight end nor has shown a desire to change that. If Martz ultimately is not back with the team and they bring in a new offensive system then maybe this pick happens. I won't be hold my breath though.

See pick #15

Unless he rapes a sheep while high on PCP with a broken leg the night before the draft, there's no way he falls this far. Not that he's coming out this year anyways....

And what are you going to do with George Foster? Whitworth is not going to be a LT at the next level, and Foster can't slide over.

25) Pittsburgh Steelers DT Haloti Ngata

Just because one Haloti Ngata in this draft wouldn't be enough.

Have the Giants given up on Gibril Wilson? The Packers will gladly take him.
The Panthers have a NFL-renowned defensive line...

That's always hurt. They're going to address the front seven (DL, LB) this offseason early in the draft, I assure you. Not that it's the only reason it's a bad pick. Signing of Wahle last off-season, drafting of Evan Mathis in the third round last year (who many considered the top guard prospect), etc. etc....
Talent is undisputable. Hester, however, has yet to settle into a concrete position. The Colts, with no glaring needs, can afford to risk a pick on Hester's potential and let the defensive genious of Dungy mold him into a reliable starter as the year progresses.

If you did research like you have claimed to, then:

a) this mock wouldn't be a train wreck
b) you'd see that the Colts have an extensive list of free agents this off-season on both sides of the ball and will in fact have glaring needs

This Mock Draft was researched, written, and copyrighted by Bennett4prez

Funniest line of the year.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby VaderFin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:40 am

sharptongued1 wrote:
2) Green Bay Packers DE Mathias Kiwanuka
The Packers defense is horrible. If the Texans throw a wrench into the system or trade away their top pick for someone wanting Leinart, the Packers could select D'Brickshaw, but KGB and Kiwi make for an amazing duo that will get the Packers defense out of the category of "Laughingstock".

The Packers would take Bush (much to my chagrin) or Mario Williams (a better player at the same position) before they drafted Kiwi. And oh, your assesment that they'd take Ferguson? Idiocy. We've got a couple of pro-bowl tackles. I know I know, a Vikings fan wouldn't know what those look like, but I assure you, they exist, and exist in Green Bay.
Marcus McNeil is the perfect fit for the Lions. Harrington's underachieving has left the Lions relying heavily on the run and they don't get any better at run-blocking than McNeill. Heralded across the NCAA for Cadillac and Ronnie Brown's success, McNeill should compete immediately for the RT spot for the Lions.

Not that I disagree with the pick, but dang, do you seriously not watch any divisional games? They're not even in the top half of rushing attempts this season, and that's with Kevin Jones (a top flight back).

Reach much?

Every year someone tries to put a tight end on this offense in the first round. Every year they don't. Face it, people, this is an offense that doesn't utilize the tight end nor has shown a desire to change that. If Martz ultimately is not back with the team and they bring in a new offensive system then maybe this pick happens. I won't be hold my breath though.

See pick #15

Unless he rapes a sheep while high on PCP with a broken leg the night before the draft, there's no way he falls this far. Not that he's coming out this year anyways....

And what are you going to do with George Foster? Whitworth is not going to be a LT at the next level, and Foster can't slide over.

25) Pittsburgh Steelers DT Haloti Ngata

Just because one Haloti Ngata in this draft wouldn't be enough.

Have the Giants given up on Gibril Wilson? The Packers will gladly take him.
The Panthers have a NFL-renowned defensive line...

That's always hurt. They're going to address the front seven (DL, LB) this offseason early in the draft, I assure you. Not that it's the only reason it's a bad pick. Signing of Wahle last off-season, drafting of Evan Mathis in the third round last year (who many considered the top guard prospect), etc. etc....

If you did research like you have claimed to, then:

a) this mock wouldn't be a train wreck
b) you'd see that the Colts have an extensive list of free agents this off-season on both sides of the ball and will in fact have glaring needs

This Mock Draft was researched, written, and copyrighted by Bennett4prez

Funniest line of the year.

I'm waiting for your list. I might not agree with the whole mock but it is still November and one guys opinion.

You can dislike the picks but being mean about it is classless. :-t
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:19 am

Great feedback so far (with the exception of the obvious). A few of the picks are a little distorted because (a) drafting 32 teams, with explainations takes a while. The standings changed over that time and with it most pick predictions. (b) It's only November. The Colts comment really irked me because, yes, the Colts have many free agents, but how can someone predict who they are going to keep and not? You can't, so you take what you've got now.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to College Football