Who's Green Bay's RB next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who's Green Bay's RB next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:03 pm

Well - first of all GB has at least 2 more wins in them this yr. They will not be in the Bush sweepstakes.

That being said, I really cant see how they can go any way other than addressing their OLine or DLine in the first rd regardless of if Farve retires or not. Expect to see either Ferguson (doubtful - he'll go before they have a chance to draft him), Mario Williams, Ngata, or Eric Winston in GB next season.

I would be very suprised if they were able to pull off a deal that lands them numerous draft picks for their early 1st rd pick.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vixtor » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:30 pm

I can't see them taking a back early in the draft because they need to plan for the post-Favre years and in that weather you have to start with defense. I believe it'll be some kind of RBBC and that they will probably re-sign Ahman Green since nobody is going to give him a big contract. It depends though. My guess is Davenport starting with A. Green getting some carries as well.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sharptongued1 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:32 pm

Ok, let me point something out to everyone real quick-like before I continue:

Chad Clifton - 29 years old, signed a long term deal this past offseason; one of the top 8 LT's in football

Mark Tauscher - 28 years old, is in the middle of a long term contract; one of the top RT's in all of football.

Please oh please stop saying the Packers are going to take tackles in the first round; it ain't happening. The problem is the interior line (you know, where we lost two all-pro guards last year due to salary cap issues).

Now that being said, if I had any say in front office moves (which I don't) my first offer would be to Jamal Lewis. Sure, he's running like a sissy this year. I think that has to do with a lot of different reasons (coming off his terrible off-season, still being gimpy because of the ankle surgery, his team sucks, etc.). He's a man that needs a change of scenery. I also think he'll come at a bargain price because of this season. Good for the team that lands him. That would be ideal situation #1.

#2 would be to use a first day pick on a RB and resign Davenport to be a backup. That'd give the Packers a lineup of Davenport, rookie (with him easing in), Gado.

#3 would be to resign Green (at a reasonable price) and ride him for three more years.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:56 pm

switch #3 with #2 and i think you've got a plan. Or how about not resigning ahman or any back for that matter and not drafting a back and drafting a defensive player in the 1st round, a gaurd... some more defense.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby sharptongued1 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:01 pm

skibrett15 wrote:switch #3 with #2 and i think you've got a plan. Or how about not resigning ahman or any back for that matter and not drafting a back and drafting a defensive player in the 1st round, a gaurd... some more defense.

And the runningbacks would be...?
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby umphrey » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:28 pm

I'd say 60% chance it's Davenport, 10% chance it's Green, 20% chance it's Gado, 8% chance it's Reggie Bush, and a 2% someone else.
umphrey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PackerAttack84 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:29 pm

I really cannot see it being Gado, he is more of a quick fill, don't get me wrong, the guy has been great. But, he fumbled twice in Sunday's game against Atlanta, that's not a good habit.

I also cannot see them bringing back Davenport, why bring back a guy who cannot stay healthy to save his life and try to use him as you weekly starter. Davenport has the talent to get it done, but he is not tough enough to take 20 plus carries week in and week out.

Ahman Green will be gone after the season, or resigned for a lot less then he is making now. He's been great for us, but his domination of the NFC North has ended.

I see the Packers either signing some one, or drafting someone like Marouney or Bush, depending on where we draft.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby wizbang » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:56 pm

As noted GB does NOT need OTs. They will be able to land a decent OG in Rounds 2 or 3. I'll bet that is where the majority of starting interior linemen are taken (few exceptions like Hutchinson). They are most desperate on defense. I would be pretty shocked if they took anything other than a defender. They could take a stab at a RB in rounds 2 or 3 if someone slides (entirely possible).

Where will they get their starting RB? Green is just about out. I give him 10% or less, especially since he's already griping and probably would rather sign with another team than feel slighted by Green Bay (and they won't give him big mone, period). Gado? Who knows. 20%? If he strings together a bunch of great games.... maybe. Davenport? Better chance but he's also hurt all the time and they will try to get him cheap. Plus they would have to have a backup plan since he's always hurt. No way can they put all of their hopes on his shoulders. He is more likely to come to terms though so I think his odds are closer to 25%. Someone else and lets be honest these are just wild arse guesses at this time so I'll lump them all together and give them the remaining 45% chance.

Of the four options I probably gave Davenport too low of odds. GB could easily count on him to start and back him up with a somewhat proven Gado (assuming he continues to play well). Remember that contrary to most positions RB can have a major impact early in their career so the position is usually the last piece to fill when rebuilding.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Fool42 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:10 pm

IMO it will be Najeh, Gado, Fisher. The draft will be focusing on DL & LB. The Pack isn't in as bad a shape as there record indicates. They are very young and gaining exp very quickly. Some young guys are really starting to step up and show what they got. Thompson isn't a believer in paying big money to O-linemen and what they have will work. Whitticker(sp) is becoming a good lineman and the move to Wells from Klemm will prove to be a good one. They do however need some depth at the position. They really need some kind of D-lineman to start opposite KBG. They also need to get another good LB. Barnett is a stud but they need another guy out there that can step it up. Th DB's are young but improving and Collins will be a pro bowl saftey if not next year then in 2007.
Winning isn't everything...It's the only thing!

Vince Lombardi
Fool42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:16 pm

Green Bay is a prime candidate for one of the Free Agent RB's next year.... They will be out from under the contracts of Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher, Ryan Longwell, and possibly Brett Favre....

That's a lot of dollars to shop with.... Samkon Gado will be the back-up and goal line back, and they will likely go after one of the following Free Agents in the off-season:

1) Jamal Lewis
2) Edgerrin James
3) Shaun Alexander
3) Chester Taylor
4) DeShaun Foster

Then, they will likely draft a 2nd or 3rd round RB to bring along slowly, as the eventual replacement for the guy they pick up in Free Agency.... I would bet on guys like Leon Washington, Gerald Riggs, Jr., or Joseph Addai.... If they end up with a high enough draft pick to get Reggie Bush, he is also a possibility, but the Pack tend to come on strong at the end of the year, and I wouldn't count on them finishing with one of the top 3 picks necessary to pull Bush - not in that powderpuff division....

If I had to call it right now, I think they sign whichever of Jamal Lewis or Chester Taylor the Ravens release and draft Leon Washington with the 37th overall pick.... That's one seriously nice young offense: Taylor/Lewis, Gado, and Washington at RB - coupled with Aaron Rodgers and the young receiving corps of Walker, Chatman, Ferguson, and Thurman (with Donald Driver as the featured veteran)... I think the Packers will be looking pretty good going into the next 5 years....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk