Who's Green Bay's RB next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who's Green Bay's RB next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Right on Plindsey ;-D

If I had to guess at this point I would say that it will be Jamal Lewis
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:If I had to call it right now, I think they sign whichever of Jamal Lewis or Chester Taylor the Ravens release and draft Leon Washington with the 37th overall pick.... That's one seriously nice young offense: Taylor/Lewis, Gado, and Washington at RB - coupled with Aaron Rodgers and the young receiving corps of Walker, Chatman, Ferguson, and Thurman (with Donald Driver as the featured veteran)... I think the Packers will be looking pretty good going into the next 5 years....

Is it just me, or did you just describe the Detroit Lions' lineup?

1. Underperforming starting RB
2. Tedford coached QB in a league where Tedford coached QBs have historically been busts (Harrington, Boller, Dilfer)
3. Receivers that have shown flashes of brilliance but are by no means studs (Driver and Walker have been better than Roy Williams and Chuck Rogers, but is that due to their talent or Favre's?)

Not trying to take any jabs at GB fans or Lions fans, for that matter (how could I, as a Saints fan?), it just struck me that the lineup Plindsey is describing has some eerie similarities to Detroit's and no one is saying they are in good shape for the next five years.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:50 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Green Bay is a prime candidate for one of the Free Agent RB's next year.... They will be out from under the contracts of Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher, Ryan Longwell, and possibly Brett Favre....

That's a lot of dollars to shop with.... Samkon Gado will be the back-up and goal line back, and they will likely go after one of the following Free Agents in the off-season:

1) Jamal Lewis
2) Edgerrin James
3) Shaun Alexander
3) Chester Taylor
4) DeShaun Foster

Then, they will likely draft a 2nd or 3rd round RB to bring along slowly, as the eventual replacement for the guy they pick up in Free Agency.... I would bet on guys like Leon Washington, Gerald Riggs, Jr., or Joseph Addai.... If they end up with a high enough draft pick to get Reggie Bush, he is also a possibility, but the Pack tend to come on strong at the end of the year, and I wouldn't count on them finishing with one of the top 3 picks necessary to pull Bush - not in that powderpuff division....

If I had to call it right now, I think they sign whichever of Jamal Lewis or Chester Taylor the Ravens release and draft Leon Washington with the 37th overall pick.... That's one seriously nice young offense: Taylor/Lewis, Gado, and Washington at RB - coupled with Aaron Rodgers and the young receiving corps of Walker, Chatman, Ferguson, and Thurman (with Donald Driver as the featured veteran)... I think the Packers will be looking pretty good going into the next 5 years....

I agree that the Packers will have quite a bit of cap room to work with next year (approx. 30 million dollars with a reported 90 million cap) and will make some moves this off-season. The biggest thing that I have to disagree with though is that if they sign a Jamal Lewis for instance, they wouldn't spend an early 2nd round pick on a runningback. Why would they? Lewis is only 26 years old. They have so many other positions of need that they can't (or shouldn't) afford a luxury pick like that would be. Now if an older back were signed, such as a James or Alexander, then I could possibly see it happening. I'd like to think that Ted Thompson would be a better steward of the Packers monies/draft picks, and thus far, have no reason to think he isn't.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:52 pm

But don't get me wrong, I want Lewis in Green Bay and I want him bad. He'd be a perfect back to bridge the gap between Favre and Rogers.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:06 pm

Ok - I'm going to respectfully disagree that Clifton and especially Traucher are top 10 at their position. Clifton is slightly above avg - but I dont know why you would think Traucher is even close - he's avg on his best day. They may even lose Flanagan this offseason if he decides to test the market.

Apparantly we see two completely different needs regarding the GB OLine. I see one above avg player at LT that they have under contract for next yr - thats it. And as far as drafting players are concerned - as was mentioned before - drafting a T to move him over to G is a common practice in the NFL.

I think that the most glaring hole in GB is their DLine though - gotta be. Their LB corps is decent - their secondary could use some help of course - but its their DLine that is just plain talentless.

I love the idea that GB go out and sign a player like JLew - I agree he is going to be a huge value for whatever team gets him.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:11 pm

onnestabe wrote:Not trying to take any jabs at GB fans or Lions fans, for that matter (how could I, as a Saints fan?), it just struck me that the lineup Plindsey is describing has some eerie similarities to Detroit's and no one is saying they are in good shape for the next five years.

I say DET can be in very good shape as soon as next yr. The problems with the Lions are more mental than anything else - they have top talent at nearly every position (sans QB of course). Give them a better offensive scheme, a vet QB, and a disciplinarian coach and they will be a regular playoff contender. This isnt a sentiment confined to DET homers either.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:22 pm

I'd venture to say that Edgerrin James or Deshaun Foster finds his way to Green Bay this offseason. If they get a high enough pick though, watch out for Deangelo Williams.
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:28 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Green Bay is a prime candidate for one of the Free Agent RB's next year.... They will be out from under the contracts of Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher, Ryan Longwell, and possibly Brett Favre....

That's a lot of dollars to shop with.... Samkon Gado will be the back-up and goal line back, and they will likely go after one of the following Free Agents in the off-season:

1) Jamal Lewis
2) Edgerrin James
3) Shaun Alexander
3) Chester Taylor
4) DeShaun Foster

Then, they will likely draft a 2nd or 3rd round RB to bring along slowly, as the eventual replacement for the guy they pick up in Free Agency.... I would bet on guys like Leon Washington, Gerald Riggs, Jr., or Joseph Addai.... If they end up with a high enough draft pick to get Reggie Bush, he is also a possibility, but the Pack tend to come on strong at the end of the year, and I wouldn't count on them finishing with one of the top 3 picks necessary to pull Bush - not in that powderpuff division....

If I had to call it right now, I think they sign whichever of Jamal Lewis or Chester Taylor the Ravens release and draft Leon Washington with the 37th overall pick.... That's one seriously nice young offense: Taylor/Lewis, Gado, and Washington at RB - coupled with Aaron Rodgers and the young receiving corps of Walker, Chatman, Ferguson, and Thurman (with Donald Driver as the featured veteran)... I think the Packers will be looking pretty good going into the next 5 years....

I agree that the Packers will have quite a bit of cap room to work with next year (approx. 30 million dollars with a reported 90 million cap) and will make some moves this off-season. The biggest thing that I have to disagree with though is that if they sign a Jamal Lewis for instance, they wouldn't spend an early 2nd round pick on a runningback. Why would they? Lewis is only 26 years old. They have so many other positions of need that they can't (or shouldn't) afford a luxury pick like that would be. Now if an older back were signed, such as a James or Alexander, then I could possibly see it happening. I'd like to think that Ted Thompson would be a better steward of the Packers monies/draft picks, and thus far, have no reason to think he isn't.

I don't think either of the Ravens RB's is money in the bank... If I were running the show, I would strongly consider burning a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a potential back-up plan....

They will get the help they need defensively with their first round pick, and still have plenty of cap room after they sign a RB to address some other defensive issues via the free agency market, but they are potentially losing 3 RB's to free agency next year (Ahman, Najeh, and Fisher), and I don't think drafting a spare back early on is a bad idea at all.... Who knows, they could stumble onto the next big thing....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:34 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Ok - I'm going to respectfully disagree that Clifton and especially Traucher are top 10 at their position. Clifton is slightly above avg - but I dont know why you would think Traucher is even close - he's avg on his best day. They may even lose Flanagan this offseason if he decides to test the market.

Apparantly we see two completely different needs regarding the GB OLine. I see one above avg player at LT that they have under contract for next yr - thats it. And as far as drafting players are concerned - as was mentioned before - drafting a T to move him over to G is a common practice in the NFL.

Ok, no offense back, but do you even know what you're talking about? Seriously. I know that this is a fantasy football website and all, but is it too much to expect someone to know real football? What is it about Clifton and Tauscher you don't like? The fact that they give up so few sacks ( a combined zero sacks last year) or that they helped pave the way for the Packers to run roughshod over everyone? Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Willie Roaf, Jonathon Ogden, Chris Samuels are the only guys that I would definitively say are better than Clifton. Outside of Willie Anderson, I wouldn't concede that any right tackle is better in football than Mark Tauscher. It's a forgone conclusion Flanagan is gone in the offseason, which really isn't that huge of a losee considering he's been less effective these past two years.

Why would you draft a tackle, especially one in the first round that can play the left side and try to make him into a guard? For one, you don't know if he can do it in the first place, and secondly, you just spent a first round pick on a guard.

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
sharptongued1 wrote:

1) Jamal Lewis
2) Edgerrin James
3) Shaun Alexander
3) Chester Taylor
4) DeShaun Foster

I don't think either of the Ravens RB's is money in the bank... If I were running the show, I would strongly consider burning a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a potential back-up plan....

They will get the help they need defensively with their first round pick, and still have plenty of cap room after they sign a RB to address some other defensive issues via the free agency market, but they are potentially losing 3 RB's to free agency next year (Ahman, Najeh, and Fisher), and I don't think drafting a spare back early on is a bad idea at all.... Who knows, they could stumble onto the next big thing....

Oh I'm not saying it's not possible, and I'm not even saying that Lewis is the end all be all. I would however be disappointed if we spent a nice little chunk of change on a runningback (let's say Lewis) and then turned around and spent a 2nd round pick on a runningback to boot. Yes, I know that our top three runningbacks are free agents in the offseason, but I'd be surprised if one was not retained. Runningback is by far the easiest position to, "plug and play", that's why I'd be hesitant to draft one early.

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk