Sneaky playoff strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sneaky playoff strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:35 am

I've been giving this some thought and the Colts, should they be 14-0, won't be benching their starters. The Colts would be somewhat foolish to play with their backups and seriously risk losing in weeks 16 and/or 17. Momentum is so important when you're entering the playoffs. Why risk losing that momentum if things are kosher at that point? When the Colts were under Jim Mora back in 1999, they were dominating the AFC and were 13-2 at week seventeens start. Mora decided to bench his starters at the end of the first quarter of week seventeens game against Buffalo and the team got blasted, losing their 3rd game of the year. Mora has stated publicly that he's regretted doing that because he felt the Colts lost steam going into their Divisional Playoff game against Tennessee.

Now, whether that contributed to their loss against the Titans, I'll never know. But the concept of not losing steam to enter the playoffs at a high level of morale and momentum does make sense. I think the Colts will at least want to know they have their games against the Titans and Cardinals well in hand before they start to bench their starters, regardless of whether they're undefeated or not.

As for the Seahawks...remember what a stink Shaun Alexander made when he came up one yard short of the rushing title? Do you honestly think Holmgren is going to bench Shaun with a possible 2,000 yard season likely waiting in the wings? I really seriously doubt that A. the Hawks will have home field wrapped up by week 17 and B. Shaun will sit if 2,000 yards is hanging in week seventeen's balance.

Just my two cents worth...
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:15 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:As for the Seahawks...remember what a stink Shaun Alexander made when he came up one yard short of the rushing title? Do you honestly think Holmgren is going to bench Shaun with a possible 2,000 yard season likely waiting in the wings? I really seriously doubt that A. the Hawks will have home field wrapped up by week 17 and B. Shaun will sit if 2,000 yards is hanging in week seventeen's balance.

You were doing okay up until the Holmgren and SA's 2000 yards thing... Do you honestly think Holmgren gives a flying f*** about whether or not SA makes the 2000 yd mark? Firstly, he didn't give a crap last year about the league rushing title, so why would he suddenly care about it this year? Secondly, anything like a 2000 yd milestone has 0 worth to Holmgren compared to his TEAM's performance in the post-season. Thirdly, a milestone like 2000 yards will make SA more expensive to the SeaParakeets if they want to keep him next year, so I don't see Holmgren risking an injury that will affect their chances this year for something that will only cost him MORE for next year on top of all that...

Flawed logic DDD...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:06 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:If the Colts are undefeated, wont you think they will go for the 16-0 mark? Meaning not benching their players, the way I see it is they wont bench their players unless they lose at least one and have home field advantage. Manning is obviously going after Marino's records one after the other.

Good point, except the undefeated season was Griese, not Marino.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dadd » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:11 pm

So since "the majority" feels this is a sound strategy. What other running backs could we use this strategy with? Chris Perry with the Bengals? Also, I'm sure there is a thread discussing which players will be given more playing time as the season winds down and they look forward to next season. Maybe Jones in JAX? Or any other young RB as the teams let the old guys rest up for next year.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:23 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:As for the Seahawks...remember what a stink Shaun Alexander made when he came up one yard short of the rushing title? Do you honestly think Holmgren is going to bench Shaun with a possible 2,000 yard season likely waiting in the wings? I really seriously doubt that A. the Hawks will have home field wrapped up by week 17 and B. Shaun will sit if 2,000 yards is hanging in week seventeen's balance.

You were doing okay up until the Holmgren and SA's 2000 yards thing... Do you honestly think Holmgren gives a flying f*** about whether or not SA makes the 2000 yd mark? Firstly, he didn't give a crap last year about the league rushing title, so why would he suddenly care about it this year? Secondly, anything like a 2000 yd milestone has 0 worth to Holmgren compared to his TEAM's performance in the post-season. Thirdly, a milestone like 2000 yards will make SA more expensive to the SeaParakeets if they want to keep him next year, so I don't see Holmgren risking an injury that will affect their chances this year for something that will only cost him MORE for next year on top of all that...

Flawed logic DDD...

I don't know if I'd go that far. Shaun's value is already peak, whether or not he hits 2,000 yards, so the idea that the Seahawks will have to pay out their ears more because he's a 2,000 yard rusher is senseless. They are already going to have to pay the man serious money, so letting him accomplish such a nice milestone like 2K would only make A. the fans happier and B. their franchise back a happier man. I do know that Holmgren has said publicly that he wishes he could've seen Shaun get the rushing record, but didn't realize he prevented SA from getting it. I believe that. It was one fricking yard. I'm sure Holmgren didn't think "gee, Shaun is one yard shy of the rushing title, but I think I'll sit him." He'd love for Shaun to get that mark and I'm sure if 2,000 yards or the single season record are waiting in the wings, he'd love to see Shaun get those marks, not only for Shaun but for the fans as well.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby johnrambo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:01 am

thats a cold, lowdown, and dirty move. i like it, good luck hope you play agaisnt edge in the superbowl and dungy benches him
" Who can make a play? T.O. can make a play." T.Owens
johnrambo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ateam » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:46 am

johnrambo wrote:thats a cold, lowdown, and dirty move. i like it, good luck hope you play agaisnt edge in the superbowl and dungy benches him

That is the plan! ;-D

At 9-1, I've got a 3 game lead there over a guy I take the train with and commute each day. He's def. my chief opponent, after Priest went down he now plays (LJ/Edge/Tiki) every game (ouch). After work on the train home, I told him I picked up 2 RBs, he couldn't figure it out. I said "just check your computer when you get home." It was pretty funny on the train the next morning.

If Edge rides the pine, and he can't turn to Rhodes (ala the Edge owner in my other league), he'll be toast.
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:15 am

If Indy beats Pittsburgh, I think it makes sense to pickup Rhodes. I wouldn't go out of my way to pickup Morris though, Seattle's record is just not good enough to lockdown homefield in the playoffs. They're 8-2 right now.... and there are what I think 5 other teams at 7-3? They're just not running away with it like Indy is.

P.S. - Teams don't sit their players when records are in reach. SA plays in week 17 no matter what happens IMO, at least the first half, and maybe the entire game.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk