2006 Mock Draft - UPDATED 11-16 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2006 Mock Draft - UPDATED 11-16

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:55 am

With the QBs going so early, it sure does leave BAL hanging, doesnt it - but then again, its a pretty likely scenario that both of the top QB could be gone by the time BAL picks. That being said - with a relatively early pick, will BAL jump for Omar Jacobs this early, or hope he falls to them in the 2nd rd? :-?

The more I think about what DET needs, the more I am convinced they either go with a T like Joe Thomas - who more than likely will be there, or they happen to get lucky and have Ahmed Brooks fall to them as they will need to replace Holmes at MLB within a yr. I know they wont go after a QB, and Im beginning to think they may even pass on a DE.

I really like that Rod Wright pick for KC - some meat on the DLine is exactly what they need - aside from the OLine issues they have too.

How about STL going for Marcedes Lewis? I never would have guessed that one - but then again apparantly Lewis is the real deal, and he simply wont fall that far - expect him to go in the top 15, and I guess STL is as good as anyplace - although Im pretty sure they have a bigger need on the other side of the ball still. Im glad he updated this draft to reflect the standings in the NFL better - CHI with a top 15 pick and landing that TE seemed pretty far fetched to me in his last mock.

Other thoughts?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ampant » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:12. STL - Marcedes Lewis - TE

Dude, if St. Louis drafts a TE in the 1st round, I am gonna be pissed. They need defensive help BIGTIME. Like a top CB, or safety.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:28 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I really like that Rod Wright pick for KC - some meat on the DLine is exactly what they need - aside from the OLine issues they have too.

How about STL going for Marcedes Lewis? I never would have guessed that one - but then again apparantly Lewis is the real deal, and he simply wont fall that far - expect him to go in the top 15, and I guess STL is as good as anyplace - although Im pretty sure they have a bigger need on the other side of the ball still. Im glad he updated this draft to reflect the standings in the NFL better - CHI with a top 15 pick and landing that TE seemed pretty far fetched to me in his last mock.

Other thoughts?

I think KC drafting a defensive tackle is a terrible idea in the first. Sims (believe it or not) was showing a lot of promise this pre-season before his injury. Then you have Siavii, who they spent a high 2nd round pick on just last year. Do you think they're going to cut bait with these guys yet? I don't. They need to start addressing their offense, especially the line. This is the year of the tackle. I could see as many as five going in the first round, with three of them being, "franchise" type. KC has shown that's it's terribly thin on offense and just an injury here or there has all but shut them down.

As far as Lewis going to St. Louis, well, I don't like that pick either. I don't know why draftniks love to give this offense a tight end in the first every year (much like they gave the Packers a QB in the first round every year for the past four years). They don't utilize the tight end in that offense, period. Now, if Martz is gone and takes his offense with him, then I could see the pick happening. But until then, no.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:33 pm

I don't see a lot of those guys coming out early anyways. Vince Young, Joe Thomas, Ahmad Brooks, Haloti Ngata, Chad Jackson. I'd be more than surprised if any of these guys declared for the draft. I also have reservations about Darnell Bing and Mario Williams too, not that any of this matters.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: 2006 Mock Draft

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:45 pm

The Lung wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:If PIT happens to land Jean-Gilles I would be suprised as it will probably be one of the bigger steals in the draft.

2004 - QB Ben Roethlisberger
2005 - TE Heath Miller

Pittsburgh got THE steal of the draft two years in a row, why wouldn't we score the hat trick?

No tightend taken in the first round can be considered the SOD... If you burn a first rounder on a tightend, you expect to get an immediate starter who's good in the redzone - which is exactly what Miller is....

Roethlisberger could be considered the SOD, but only because he went so far after Manning and Rivers, neither of which have had the same success he has....

But no way in hell was Miller the SOD in 2005.... It's a little early to tell, but I would say right now, the leading candidates for that honor have to be Kyle Orton (106th overall), Odell Thurman (48th overall), or Channing Crowder (70th overall)....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:54 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:I think KC drafting a defensive tackle is a terrible idea in the first. Sims (believe it or not) was showing a lot of promise this pre-season before his injury. Then you have Siavii, who they spent a high 2nd round pick on just last year. Do you think they're going to cut bait with these guys yet? I don't. They need to start addressing their offense, especially the line. This is the year of the tackle. I could see as many as five going in the first round, with three of them being, "franchise" type. KC has shown that's it's terribly thin on offense and just an injury here or there has all but shut them down.

Fair enough - but here's the thing - the T position this yr is all about depth - there are a ton of them, but only 2-3 are 1st rd material. KC could just as easily target one like McNeil or Trueblood in the 2nd. Thats part of the gamble of this yrs draft - the OT position being as deep as it is means they will fall as a group.

I couldnt agree more that KC needs to address their OLine immediately, but at the same time, I would absolutely look to give that DLine some true 1st rd talent. Sims could be the man - but its been 4 years now and he hasent done squat since his sophmore campaign. I can see why you would want to hold out hope for him though - especially since he was a 1st rd pick for KC. Even still then - that leaves this group with 2 talented but young hopefuls in the middle. The DE position needs talented help desperately.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:55 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:I don't see a lot of those guys coming out early anyways. Vince Young, Joe Thomas, Ahmad Brooks, Haloti Ngata, Chad Jackson. I'd be more than surprised if any of these guys declared for the draft. I also have reservations about Darnell Bing and Mario Williams too, not that any of this matters.

When is the declaration date anyway?

Good point about this being just speculation - and early speculation at that. Lots of these guys wont declare until 2007.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: 2006 Mock Draft

Postby onnestabe » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:07 pm

warrick95 wrote:Deuce's real name is Dulymus Jenod McAllister. Can't really blame him for going with Deuce, for whatever reason.

Being an Alabama fan, I just wanted to point out the McAllister took up the nickname of "Deuce" as a result of watching David Palmer play for the Tide back in the day. Palmer was an electric player who wore #2 on his back, and whenever he would break a big play, the announcers would yell, "The Deuce is loose!" I remember loving that when I was too young to really understand what was going on in a football game - I just knew something exciting was happening whenever I heard the announcer say those words.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I find it to be an interesting factoid.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:32 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
sharptongued1 wrote:I don't see a lot of those guys coming out early anyways. Vince Young, Joe Thomas, Ahmad Brooks, Haloti Ngata, Chad Jackson. I'd be more than surprised if any of these guys declared for the draft. I also have reservations about Darnell Bing and Mario Williams too, not that any of this matters.

When is the declaration date anyway?

Good point about this being just speculation - and early speculation at that. Lots of these guys wont declare until 2007.

It begins sometime in mid-January, although I'm not 100% positive of the date.

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:37 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
sharptongued1 wrote:I think KC drafting a defensive tackle is a terrible idea in the first. Sims (believe it or not) was showing a lot of promise this pre-season before his injury. Then you have Siavii, who they spent a high 2nd round pick on just last year. Do you think they're going to cut bait with these guys yet? I don't. They need to start addressing their offense, especially the line. This is the year of the tackle. I could see as many as five going in the first round, with three of them being, "franchise" type. KC has shown that's it's terribly thin on offense and just an injury here or there has all but shut them down.

Fair enough - but here's the thing - the T position this yr is all about depth - there are a ton of them, but only 2-3 are 1st rd material. KC could just as easily target one like McNeil or Trueblood in the 2nd. Thats part of the gamble of this yrs draft - the OT position being as deep as it is means they will fall as a group.

I couldnt agree more that KC needs to address their OLine immediately, but at the same time, I would absolutely look to give that DLine some true 1st rd talent. Sims could be the man - but its been 4 years now and he hasent done squat since his sophmore campaign. I can see why you would want to hold out hope for him though - especially since he was a 1st rd pick for KC. Even still then - that leaves this group with 2 talented but young hopefuls in the middle. The DE position needs talented help desperately.

Well I personally agree it needs a bit of an upgrade, but the staff, for whatever reason seems completely unwilling to part with Eric Hicks. Jared Allen is a fixture at the other end spot. The middle's not soft by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't know of any interior line that wouldn't be helped by adding Wright to it's lineup. The front seven really isn't the problem with this defense, though. The secondary is junk. I'd say it and offensive line are the two biggest areas of concern for this franchise. Sure, the wide receivers aren't that great, but this offense has survived the past few years without anything special there. I'm not advocating that they don't try to upgrade this position, but I think it's the weakest draft for wide receivers in quite some time.

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk