Too early for an '06 mock? NAH! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Too early for an '06 mock? NAH!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:34 pm

VaderFin wrote:Plinds--The Vikes already have McKinnie at LT and Winston is a LT not a RT so I really don't see him going there. Now Miami. ;-D

Switching from LT to RT is basically a downgrade in responsibility... NFL teams draft more LT's than anything else, and usually switch them to RT if needs be. It's a very common practice. Rarely do RT's get drafted, because 90% of the time, a college team's best tackle plays LT, and it's only the cream of the crop that get drafted. So the fact that Winston plays LT in college has no bearing on what an NFL team will do with him after the draft....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:37 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Plinds--The Vikes already have McKinnie at LT and Winston is a LT not a RT so I really don't see him going there. Now Miami. ;-D

Switching from LT to RT is basically a downgrade in responsibility... NFL teams draft more LT's than anything else, and usually switch them to RT if needs be. It's a very common practice. Rarely do RT's get drafted, because 90% of the time, a college team's best tackle plays LT, and it's only the cream of the crop that get drafted. So the fact that Winston plays LT in college has no bearing on what an NFL team will do with him after the draft....

There is no way I see anyone playing Winston at RT. He is a pure LT. Someone might do a Rams and draft a Barron to move him but that would be a big mistake.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:45 pm

VaderFin wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

There is no way I see anyone playing Winston at RT. He is a pure LT. Someone might do a Rams and draft a Barron to move him but that would be a big mistake.

NFL teams don't draft a LT or RT anymore than they draft a left corner or right corner. They draft the best tackle on the board, and put him where they need him....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:51 pm

Very good draft, looks like you are right on the button with alot of these ;-D

It all depends with Warner, whether he retires in Arizona. If he decides to stay I could see them taking AJ Hawk instead.

This is a year I really expect a big deal to made in the top 3 because of Lienart. because there is a consensus #1 QB heads and tails above others (can't compare Young and Lienart). Look for a team like Baltimore, the Jets, and maybe even the Titans to push for a top 3 spot. Ecspecially if Vince Young stays in school because there won't be a quarterback to fall back on .
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby klaxs258 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:00 pm

PACKman1144 wrote:Very good draft, looks like you are right on the button with alot of these ;-D

It all depends with Warner, whether he retires in Arizona. If he decides to stay I could see them taking AJ Hawk instead.

This is a year I really expect a big deal to made in the top 3 because of Lienart. because there is a consensus #1 QB heads and tails above others (can't compare Young and Lienart). Look for a team like Baltimore, the Jets, and maybe even the Titans to push for a top 3 spot. Ecspecially if Vince Young stays in school because there won't be a quarterback to fall back on .

even if warner stays they would draft leinhert y would they pass on a player like that to continue to build there team. There would be no way that the cardinals passed on leinhert. To get leinhert you are going to have to trade away alot. There is no way the ravenns can get leinhert unless they finish worse enough to get leinhert without trading. The ravens need to much to trade away picks.

[b]Tiger Woods[/b]
2006 British Open Champion
Woods-11 Nicklaus-18
[b]Wins At Age 30[/b]
Woods-50 Nicklaus-33

[b]The Greatest Golfer ever Tiger Wood[/b]
klaxs258
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:26 pm

I can't see Laurence Maroney, if he isn't taken before DeAngelo Williams, to slip past Cleveland, Minnesota, and Jacksonville, all of whom need a RB.

Cleveland - Suggs is always hurt, and Droughns just isn't a long term solution IMO.

Minnesota - Mewelde Moore is decent, but he has had some injury problems, and we all know Michael Bennett's injury history

Jacksonville - Fred Taylor is hurt every year, they need some fresh legs
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:35 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:I can't see Laurence Maroney, if he isn't taken before DeAngelo Williams, to slip past Cleveland, Minnesota, and Jacksonville, all of whom need a RB.

Cleveland - Suggs is always hurt, and Droughns just isn't a long term solution IMO.

Minnesota - Mewelde Moore is decent, but he has had some injury problems, and we all know Michael Bennett's injury history

Jacksonville - Fred Taylor is hurt every year, they need some fresh legs

Cleveland I could maybe see...

The other two drafted RB's last year, and I don't see them giving up on the ones they have just yet... Jacksonville, especially, as they have drafted RB's in consecutive years, and Greg Jones seems like he can get it done if needs be....

Minnesota has too many other pressing needs to draft a RB in the first round, when they have 4 servicable RB's on the roster, as is...

Cleveland just seems to me like they have too many problems on the defensive side of the ball to worry with a RB in the first... I could see them taking a chance on a RB in the subsequent rounds, possibly someone like Leon Washington, who is bound to slip further than he should, but in the first, I don't see how they can possibly avoid going defense...

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:44 am

dave416 wrote:Eslinger seems like a steal for Pitt at 30...

The knock on Eslinger is his size... If he were to somehow put on about 20 pounds before the combine, I could maybe see him going considerably higher than 30.... But if he stays roughly the same size he's playing at right now, I think he's a late first rounder.

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:44 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:

The knock on Eslinger is his size... If he were to somehow put on about 20 pounds before the combine, I could maybe see him going considerably higher than 30.... But if he stays roughly the same size he's playing at right now, I think he's a late first rounder.

It's not like centers are drafted that high anyways. Very rarely is one even drafted in the first round, let alone high first round. I can't recall in recent memory one getting drafted even in the teens. I'm sure there probably is one, point is, even if he did add 20lbs, I don't think it'd help his stock all that much anyways. What does he play at right now, 285, 290? That's right where the top centers in the NFL are (Mawae, Kreutz, Hartings, Birk is listed at 308).
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:52 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

It's not like centers are drafted that high anyways. Very rarely is one even drafted in the first round, let alone high first round. I can't recall in recent memory one getting drafted even in the teens. I'm sure there probably is one, point is, even if he did add 20lbs, I don't think it'd help his stock all that much anyways. What does he play at right now, 285, 290? That's right where the top centers in the NFL are (Mawae, Kreutz, Hartings, Birk is listed at 308).

He's listed on the Minnesota website at 285, but I think the consensus opinion is that he probably ate a couple large pizzas before he got on the scale if that reading is anything close to accurate... If you just look at the kid, he's quite a bit thinner than guys like Mawae... I think, in reality, his playing weight as of this minute is probably in the neighborhood of 275-280 lbs.... He may not need to put on 20 pounds, but he does need to add some bulk...

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk