Too early for an '06 mock? NAH! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Too early for an '06 mock? NAH!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby sharptongued1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:24 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
sharptongued1 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
dave416 wrote:Eslinger seems like a steal for Pitt at 30...




The knock on Eslinger is his size... If he were to somehow put on about 20 pounds before the combine, I could maybe see him going considerably higher than 30.... But if he stays roughly the same size he's playing at right now, I think he's a late first rounder.


It's not like centers are drafted that high anyways. Very rarely is one even drafted in the first round, let alone high first round. I can't recall in recent memory one getting drafted even in the teens. I'm sure there probably is one, point is, even if he did add 20lbs, I don't think it'd help his stock all that much anyways. What does he play at right now, 285, 290? That's right where the top centers in the NFL are (Mawae, Kreutz, Hartings, Birk is listed at 308).



He's listed on the Minnesota website at 285, but I think the consensus opinion is that he probably ate a couple large pizzas before he got on the scale if that reading is anything close to accurate... If you just look at the kid, he's quite a bit thinner than guys like Mawae... I think, in reality, his playing weight as of this minute is probably in the neighborhood of 275-280 lbs.... He may not need to put on 20 pounds, but he does need to add some bulk...

My whole point was that even if he did add 20 lbs of bulk, he's not likely to go much higher in the draft anyways.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:45 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
sharptongued1 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
dave416 wrote:Eslinger seems like a steal for Pitt at 30...




The knock on Eslinger is his size... If he were to somehow put on about 20 pounds before the combine, I could maybe see him going considerably higher than 30.... But if he stays roughly the same size he's playing at right now, I think he's a late first rounder.


It's not like centers are drafted that high anyways. Very rarely is one even drafted in the first round, let alone high first round. I can't recall in recent memory one getting drafted even in the teens. I'm sure there probably is one, point is, even if he did add 20lbs, I don't think it'd help his stock all that much anyways. What does he play at right now, 285, 290? That's right where the top centers in the NFL are (Mawae, Kreutz, Hartings, Birk is listed at 308).



He's listed on the Minnesota website at 285, but I think the consensus opinion is that he probably ate a couple large pizzas before he got on the scale if that reading is anything close to accurate... If you just look at the kid, he's quite a bit thinner than guys like Mawae... I think, in reality, his playing weight as of this minute is probably in the neighborhood of 275-280 lbs.... He may not need to put on 20 pounds, but he does need to add some bulk...

My whole point was that even if he did add 20 lbs of bulk, he's not likely to go much higher in the draft anyways.

Agreed rarely do you ever see Centers or even Guards drafted in the first round. Just going back through the last 5 years there have been 3G and 2C drafted in the first round. And I believe all those picks have been after #15. (Keep in mind I'm going on what they are drafted as, I know many times tackles are converted into guards.)
Image
Image
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1906
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kinnick

Postby maddog60 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:08 pm

Plindsey, I really think the Eagles will go offensive line. They lost Mayberry this past year, will most likely lose Runyan to FA this year, it will be a much bigger concern than WR.

I dont like the Maroney pick, but KC has spent high picks on a RB and TE when they did not need them before, so it actually makes some sense.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:19 pm

maddog60 wrote:Plindsey, I really think the Eagles will go offensive line. They lost Mayberry this past year, will most likely lose Runyan to FA this year, it will be a much bigger concern than WR.

I dont like the Maroney pick, but KC has spent high picks on a RB and TE when they did not need them before, so it actually makes some sense.


I agree that the Eagles need some O-Line help as well, but if you're management and 3-4 tackles have already been drafted and no WRs have, who will you take? The guy that graded out as the 4th or 5th best lineman in the draft, or your top-rated WR? Additionally, we all know you can find quality lineman in the middle and end of the draft, and those rounds produce more starting lineman than receivers. I think. I would much rather see the Eagles pick up a Holmes/C.Jackson (or whomever grades out on top) and pick up a couple lineman in rounds 2-4.
Image
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3107
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cave

Postby maddog60 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:26 pm

Well, if the Eagles could get the best WR in the entire draft, I would not object to that either.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PackerAttack84 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:20 pm

If Maroney were to fall to Kansas City, I think that Jacksonville might take him. They could use a running back a lot more then the Chiefs.
Image
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 4532
Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At a Friend's House

Postby TheFranchise » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:47 pm

Very intuitive and very intriguing post Plinds ;-D
Image
TheFranchise
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 730
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 31 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Niagara Falls, NY

Postby sharptongued1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:35 am

daullaz wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Plindsey, I really think the Eagles will go offensive line. They lost Mayberry this past year, will most likely lose Runyan to FA this year, it will be a much bigger concern than WR.

I dont like the Maroney pick, but KC has spent high picks on a RB and TE when they did not need them before, so it actually makes some sense.


I agree that the Eagles need some O-Line help as well, but if you're management and 3-4 tackles have already been drafted and no WRs have, who will you take? The guy that graded out as the 4th or 5th best lineman in the draft, or your top-rated WR? Additionally, we all know you can find quality lineman in the middle and end of the draft, and those rounds produce more starting lineman than receivers. I think. I would much rather see the Eagles pick up a Holmes/C.Jackson (or whomever grades out on top) and pick up a couple lineman in rounds 2-4.


That's not really sound logic, because it could very well be that the fourth or fifth offensive lineman carries a higher grade than the #1 wide receiver. We don't know that for sure until the draft comes around though. Apply it to fantasy sports if you will; would you rather have the #5 runningback or the #1 tight end?
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:43 am

sharptongued1 wrote:
daullaz wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Plindsey, I really think the Eagles will go offensive line. They lost Mayberry this past year, will most likely lose Runyan to FA this year, it will be a much bigger concern than WR.

I dont like the Maroney pick, but KC has spent high picks on a RB and TE when they did not need them before, so it actually makes some sense.


I agree that the Eagles need some O-Line help as well, but if you're management and 3-4 tackles have already been drafted and no WRs have, who will you take? The guy that graded out as the 4th or 5th best lineman in the draft, or your top-rated WR? Additionally, we all know you can find quality lineman in the middle and end of the draft, and those rounds produce more starting lineman than receivers. I think. I would much rather see the Eagles pick up a Holmes/C.Jackson (or whomever grades out on top) and pick up a couple lineman in rounds 2-4.


That's not really sound logic, because it could very well be that the fourth or fifth offensive lineman carries a higher grade than the #1 wide receiver. We don't know that for sure until the draft comes around though. Apply it to fantasy sports if you will; would you rather have the #5 runningback or the #1 tight end?


No way you should apply this concept to fantasy sports. And it has as much to do with the positions as anything. Your logic is pretty flawed.

Lineman in the NFL draft and RBs in fantasy drafts couldn't be any more different. RBs in fantasy drafts are taken very high because of position scarcity. In leagus where 2 QBs start, you see that position fly off the board too. In the NFL, there are oodles of quality lineman available at the end of day one and throughout day two, and the best scouting departments unearth those diamonds.

The Eagles will grade all the prospects and do all the research and study they need to. When draft day comes, if the #1 WR is on the board with three or four lineman off, they'll get a WR and pick up some lineman later. If they're up and the only lineman taken is Ferguson, well then it becomes a tougher decision.
Image
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3107
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cave

Postby sharptongued1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:48 pm

daullaz wrote:
sharptongued1 wrote:
daullaz wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Plindsey, I really think the Eagles will go offensive line. They lost Mayberry this past year, will most likely lose Runyan to FA this year, it will be a much bigger concern than WR.

I dont like the Maroney pick, but KC has spent high picks on a RB and TE when they did not need them before, so it actually makes some sense.


I agree that the Eagles need some O-Line help as well, but if you're management and 3-4 tackles have already been drafted and no WRs have, who will you take? The guy that graded out as the 4th or 5th best lineman in the draft, or your top-rated WR? Additionally, we all know you can find quality lineman in the middle and end of the draft, and those rounds produce more starting lineman than receivers. I think. I would much rather see the Eagles pick up a Holmes/C.Jackson (or whomever grades out on top) and pick up a couple lineman in rounds 2-4.


That's not really sound logic, because it could very well be that the fourth or fifth offensive lineman carries a higher grade than the #1 wide receiver. We don't know that for sure until the draft comes around though. Apply it to fantasy sports if you will; would you rather have the #5 runningback or the #1 tight end?


No way you should apply this concept to fantasy sports. And it has as much to do with the positions as anything. Your logic is pretty flawed.

Lineman in the NFL draft and RBs in fantasy drafts couldn't be any more different. RBs in fantasy drafts are taken very high because of position scarcity. In leagus where 2 QBs start, you see that position fly off the board too. In the NFL, there are oodles of quality lineman available at the end of day one and throughout day two, and the best scouting departments unearth those diamonds.

The Eagles will grade all the prospects and do all the research and study they need to. When draft day comes, if the #1 WR is on the board with three or four lineman off, they'll get a WR and pick up some lineman later. If they're up and the only lineman taken is Ferguson, well then it becomes a tougher decision.


The only point I was trying to make was that you're assuming that the #1 wide receiver in this draft will be a better prospect than the 4th or 5th best lineman. I don't think this is the case. It's an incredibly strong year for lineman while being an incredibly weak year at wide receiver.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 5:15 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact