What to do as commish? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What to do as commish?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What to do as commish?

Postby Doctor P » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:41 pm

Our league is on ESPN where the scores don't go official until the Saturday after the games. I can change scores at anytime and they will be reflected immediately. I ran into a situation in week 9 that I need some advice on.

My game ended up in a tie last week but this past Saturday ESPN gave my Carolina D/ST another sack that they didn't have recorded before, and thus gave me the win.(ESPN states that they do not make scores official until the following Saturday) I had went back and checked on this mysterious sack and couldn't find anything. So I informed the other owner and I corrected the score to make our score tied again. I was still skeptical on how ESPN had just added a sack so I was checking the stats again today and they were now updated, giving Julius Peppers a 3rd sack. I NEED TO CHANGE OUR SCORE BACK TO THE ORIGINAL ESPN CORRECTION TO REFLECT THE CORRECT SCORE, RIGHT? OR NO?
QB: Romo, Freeman
RB: Foster, Peterson,LeShoure, Wilson, Mathews
WR: Bryant, Moore, Fitz
TE: Hernandez
D/ST: Pittsburgh, NYJ
K: Janikowski
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Doctor P » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:01 pm

Is this just too obvious of an answer that you guys don't want to respond. I know it probably seems that I should definately have the score reflect what the actual score should be, but I had already told the other owner that it was a tie game and now I'm going to change it a few days later and after we had already played another game. . But we play w/IDP and someone has Peppers so whatever I do affects that game from last week to.

??
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:09 pm

I'll be honest - Ive never been in a league where the commish had the power to change scores. I dont like the concept at all and I guess my feeling is that you backed yourself into the corner by ever thinking it was within your power to change scores in the first place.

I know that I am not familiar with your situation or your league history - but from what I did read, its your own fault. I dont mean to come off sounding like a jerk, but like I said - I would be pretty P.O.d if my commish ever changed a score for any reason.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Doctor P » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:19 pm

Well, like I said before, I changed the score b/c I thought it was the right thing to do. After they changed the score on Saturday, I went back and researched it only b/c ESPN had had so many problems this year already. I checked every website where stats were given and this sack was not accounted for. If there was no sack then there shouldn't be any points awarded. This stat was just updated. I may have backed myself into a corner, but in a league w/friends, I thought I was doing the right thing. :-/
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Doctor P » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:29 pm

Ok, so basically I did what I thought was the right thing to do, to keep our score as a tie b/c ESPN had changed it so late, which they never did before. I got confused and changed the score back assuming ESPN made a mistake, after I checked out the stats. It wasn't a quick decision on my part IMO; but basically what you're saying is that I'm an idiot for even changing it in the 1st place.
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Doctor P » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:40 pm

Can I get another opinion other than saying I'm an idiot; or is it unanimous?
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bowie » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:59 pm

It seems like you are trying to do the right thing, but Cornbread is right: you should not have touched the scores in the first place. Now that you have done so, and told the other owner about it, I would contact him and ask for his permission to change the score back. If he is a good guy, he should be OK with it. If not, you will just have to live with your mistake.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Doctor P » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:03 pm

i understand what you're saying and I appreciate the response. I wouldn't have changed the score at all but earlier in the season ESPN had really botched up our scores and I had to step in. The scores of every game where so messed up. Now, they changed the scores 6 days after the games and I couldn't find any record of this mysterious sack; not even on ESPN. Now all the stats were updated and realized I shouldn't have changed anything.
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Doctor P » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:07 pm

I will talk to him as he is a good guy and I'm not trying to rip him off. He, and a couple other owners in the league pointed it out to me on Saturday, and then I was told I did the right thing from them when I changed it back to being a tie. So, I was the good commish, and now I'm the bad one today. I'll see what he says.
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby chchelse » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 pm

I have to totally disagree with CM and Ziggy said. As commisioner it is your duty to make sure the scores are accurate. For example: week 7, Kevin Curtis is incorrectly given credit for a 21 yd catch. The site I use (Fanball) does not catch the error, Curtis' yardage total is incorrectly listed as 90 yds for the day and I get 3 extra points. To this day, Fanball has not corrected their scoring mistake. The results still show Curtis having 90 yds recieving for week 7. As commissioner I went in and changed the score (took 3 points away from myself). Bottom line, the score I got for that week is now correct. Two wrongs don't make a right. Change your score and stop being such a wuss..............
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk