Lewis DID NOT predict he'd break Dillon's record!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lewis DID NOT predict he'd break Dillon's record!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:42 pm

BradtheBold wrote:There is a column at CNN/SI that says the same thing today.

CNNSI following me? Fabulous! LOL
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hayesb26 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:18 pm

haha yeah that takes a little bit of the shine off it for me :-)
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:27 pm

It doesnt bother me, hey the way the media is today who can really say they are surprised?
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby terpfan » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:29 pm

frosty wrote:Get used to it.

People still think Babe Ruth called his shot.

Never let fact get in the way of a good story! :-D

very true B-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:16 am

I never heard him claim anything other than he said he would have a career day, but the story definitely got out BEFORE the game that he claimed he would break the rushing record. Perhaps his words were misconstrued a bit, perhaps Jamal hinted a career day would mean breaking the record.

Somehow the prediction got out there, and he lived up to it. Whether it was directly out of his mouth or not doesn't really taint it for me.

The story (and therefore the goal) was out there before kick-off, and he broke the record. Whether it was his claim or a mis-interpretation of his claim, the legend is still born.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Orange and Blue » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:54 am

How many players make predictions every week, however? Whether they're talking trash with friends or just being arrogant, all players are making predictions all the time. "I'm going to score 5 times this weekend, they won't be able to stop me" or "I bet I catch more balls than the poor sap I'm assigned to cover". How many of those predictions come true? I mean, one of them was BOUND to happen sooner or later, it's the law of averages. Lewis just happened to be the guy who had his prediction come true.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:43 pm

I think Corey Dillon did too??????????????????
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby sundawg_58 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:14 pm

I'm not sure what to think. The night before last weeks' games I came across this article:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plainde ... 200143.xml

"One of my teammates has a friend on their team," Little said. "[The Ravens player] called his boy Jamal and put him on a three-way with one of our teammates. He actually told my teammate he was going to run over us and that he was going to break the NFL rushing record."

I was a little surprized that night J. Lew would do this. I thought that he just pissed off the Brown's defense and was going to get me no points. Well..... we all know what happened.

After it happened, I went back to the article to see if I read it correctly. According to Little on the Brown's, J Lewis did call it. BUT, as we all know, J Lewis went up on the podium and modestly said he only predicted a "career day".

The article is dated the day BEFORE the game. So, maybe Little on the Brown was just exaggerating. Maybe, he foolishly exaggered correctly.
sundawg_58
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:14 pm

Well there you have it then, the legend lives on! I do recall hearing prior to the game of his boasting that he would break the record. That he did or didn't actually say it should be left unconfirmed. That makes better copy. Personally, I don't ever want to hear that Franco Harris didn't make the immaculate reception. I was watching and I saw the catch, it's the moment a childhood hero was born. And a football fan was born. I don't need to know any other truth. Oh, and BTW, the Babe did call the shot, I saw it on a Turner Classics movie a few years ago! Lighten up haters!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby joester » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:12 pm

He did predict it..............this is an article from fanball before last weeks game

Sep 13, 2003 12:07PM ET
Lewis predicts single-game rushing record
THE NEWS

Ravens' running back Jamal Lewis apparently ticked off the Browns by telling them he's going set the NFL single-game rushing record against them tomorrow. "One of my teammates has a friend on their team," Browns safety Earl Little told the Plain Dealer. "[The Ravens player] called his boy Jamal and put him on a three-way with one of our teammates. He actually told my teammate he was going to run over us and that he was going to break the NFL rushing record." Little said Lewis also told the Browns' player "that one of the safeties, either me or Robert Griffith, is going to come down in the box and that he's going to run us over. I mean, that's totally disrespectful right there. We're looking forward to playing this guy, point blank."

OUR VIEW

Cool. Like there isn’t enough smack-talk in the NFL, but for fantasy sake, we like what Jamal is saying. Two of Lewis’ four best career games are against the Browns, 187 yards last season and 170 yards in 2000. Just for the record, the single-game rushing record is 278 yards set by Corey Dillon against Denver in 2000.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk