Yahoo! response to Vasher TD Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo! response to Vasher TD Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo! response to Vasher TD Question

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:15 pm

Okay - so I emailed Yahoo! to find out why I didn't get any yardage credited to my Bears Defense for the returned TD - here's the response:

-------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.

Joe Nedney's 52-yard missed field-goal attempt in the second quarter wasshort and wide resulting in the Bears' Nathan Vasher returning the ball an NFL-record 108 yards for Chicago's first touchdown of the day. This play has brought up many
questions in regards to fantasy football scoring.

For this play Nedney is awarded points only for the field goal that was missed, while Vasher is awarded for the touchdown, but not the return yards.

By NFL rule the Chicago DEF was on the field for this play as the Niners were trying to score. The Niners were not kicking or punting the ball away. Therefore the Chicago DEF is credited for a TD on the play.

The Chicago DEF did not block the kick, the ball was carried by an extremely heavy wind thus why we are not crediting the Chicago DEF with a blocked kick.

I hope this clears things up!

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,
Jamie Lynn
Yahoo! Customer Care
---------------------------------------------

So they say they credited Chicago D with the TD (they did) but not the yardage (they didn't) but there is no clarification given for why... Seems fishy to me...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:22 pm

By NFL rule the Chicago DEF was on the field for this play as the Niners were trying to score. The Niners were not kicking or punting the ball away. Therefore the Chicago DEF is credited for a TD on the play.

that's the reason right there.BH and I said that earlier this week when you asked. it wasn't a return it was a defensive TD. minnesota was not credited for sharper's TD yardage either becasue a return only happens when the opposing team punt's or kicks off. not on a turnover score. defense and special teams ,even though scored in the same area on yahoo, are not scored in real life the same way.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:15 pm

No no you may be misunderstanding. The quote you point out is in reference to why it is a defensive TD and not a special teams TD. Most leagues score D and SP teams together. Some award points for return yards on special teams and some award points for return yards on D. This play should have counted as a defensive TD, with defensive return yards. It had nothing to do with special teams.

One league I play in awards points for defensive return yardage. IE a ball gets intercepted and returned 50 yards, we get points for the score and 50 yards for our defense. Same for a fumble recovery. It is not a part of yards against. If he is in a league that scores like this (I don't know if Yahoo even can) then his question wasn't fully answered.

Hope that helps because the wording of your question makes it hard to understand which aspect of scoring you are concerned over.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby logan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:01 pm

yahoo does not score int/fumble etc returns in that way no. they only score return yards for kick and punt returns. (or altleast i'm guessing. it does not exactly specify) i'm guessing by their r comment they would have scored the return yards had it been blocked although that still doesn't make any sense. i see what they are saying and as far as nfl statistics go it is not included in the return yardage. i always took the return yardage scoring cat as kicks and punts for ST not Def becasue that's how it is put in the nfl record for the game.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:19 pm

Okay - by the logic being stated I can understand the omission of the return yardage, although I have never heard of the anti-FG unit not being a part of special teams...

It always was when I played, and when I coached...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Payne Dailey » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:56 pm

Another reason to fine tune the rules and regulations of your league for next year.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk