Dumbest Sports Article of the year (about McNabb) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dumbest Sports Article of the year (about McNabb)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dumbest Sports Article of the year (about McNabb)

Postby splitz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:23 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10075326/

By JT the Brick
NBCSports.com contributor
Updated: 1:21 a.m. ET Nov. 17, 2005

JT the Brick
Philadelphia fans have already started to panic and many of them are finished backing Donovan McNabb as the starting quarterback of the Eagles.

He has lost several big games throughout his career, including the Super Bowl and several NFC championship games, but the Monday night loss to Dallas might be the one that takes him the longest to live down. The stage was set for the Eagles to put all of the Terrell Owens talk behind them and climb back into the playoff race, but the house of cards came crashing to the ground with under five minutes to play as Philadelphia blew a 13-point lead an ended up losing to its hated rival 21-20.

McNabb has thrown 66 interceptions in the regular season during his seven-year professional career, but none was more dramatic than Monday night’s telegraphed laser beam that put the Cowboys in a tie for first place in the NFC East with the New York Giants. That is the type of mistake you make when you playing on the road in a meaningless preseason matchup, not in a must-win game in front of your home fans that could make or break the entire season.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

That pick ranks only behind the one that McNabb threw to Ronde Barber of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Jan. 19, 2003 at Veterans Stadium that resulted in a 92-yard touchdown with 3:12 left in the NFC championship game. The Eagles lost to the Bucs 27-10 and missed a chance at winning Super Bowl XXXVII. Speaking of the Super Bowl, McNabb also blew Philadelphia's chance at winning its first football championship since 1960 by throwing three interceptions against New England last season.

Could it be that McNabb just might not be able to win the big game? That is nothing to be ashamed of. Just ask Charles Barkley, Ernie Banks or even Peyton Manning what it feels like to chase a championship ring and come up short every time. My question is, might McNabb be better off playing for a different team with a fan base that might embrace him and encourage him to push on after coming up short so many times in his already painful career?

Slide show
Buccaneers' Alstott dives over top for touchdown in Tampa
Launch

• NFL week 10
See the best images from Sunday's action
I had a blast talking to football fans around the country who want Donovan to bolt Philadelphia and end up in their city. Even though McNabb signed a $115 million contract in 2002 through the year 2010, fans in other NFL markets want McNabb to reconsider his future in Philly. A Tampa Bay Buccaneer sfan tried to convince me that McNabb could run Jon Gruden's West Coast offense along with Joey Galloway, Michael Clayton and Cadillac Williams. Detroit Lions fans, who are sick and tired of losing, would love to see McNabb in the Honolulu Blue throwing passes to Mike Williams, Roy Williams and Charles Rodgers. A die-hard Detroit fan proposed a blockbuster trade to the Motor City that would only help secure the job status of general manager Matt Millen and head coach Steve Mariucci. Think of McNabb playing in Baltimore for Brian Billick as he opens up his playbook for his new quarterback who could count on Ray Lewis and the rest of that defense to deliver for him in big games.

If I were McNabb, I would do anything in my power to get out of Philadelphia and play for a fan base that appreciates me more. McNabb has played the entire 2005 schedule with a serious sports hernia injury and has had to deal with all of the media distractions that come with being associated with Owens. That should be enough to get a free pass from his hometown fans, but they continue to pile on.

Slide show: The Week in Sports Pictures
Liebherr German Open - Day 2
Launch

• Nov. 7 - 13
Getting ready for Turin, glory on the courts and on the gridiron, and more.
Philadelphia is a great sports town because they hold their professional athletes accountable for their actions on and off the field, but they are the worst group of sports fans when it comes to kicking their own while they are down. The Eagles are all but done this season and I am sure McNabb will continue to work his tail off to recover from his injuries so that he can lead his team back to the playoffs and maybe even the Super Bowl next season.

I feel sorry for McNabb because we should all be able to see the writing on the wall. The fans who booed Santa Claus and Mike Schmidt are the same ones who cheered while Michael Irvin laid motionless on the ground at Veterans Stadium back in 1999. The only way McNabb can win over the die-hard fans of Philadelphia is by winning a Super Bowl and his best chances for doing that might be in his rear view mirror.
© 2005 NBC Sports.com
splitz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:42 am

Why is it the dumbest? Ia pplaud him for going against the grain. I may not completely agree, but he makes some interesting arguments.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby splitz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:33 am

I think the dumbest part is him saying that McNabb should go somewhere that he is more appreciated. That is ludicrous! The Philly fans have made McNabb one of the most popular players in the league and they more than appreciate him...
splitz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:58 am

well there are some points that are accurate. He does always seem to make the game ending pick. And yes, he has lost a lot of big games. But the simple fact of the matter is, unless your name is TOm Brady, there isn't another QB in the league who has won more big games this century either. In the playoffs, every game is a big game.

I just think that was a boneheaded play, and he was pressing to turn the season's fortunes around.

Philly has a lot of Donovan detractors, and TO has a lot of supporters. Go figure.

i think it is idiotic, some of those early playoff years, Donovan was the only thing going for the Eagles, he was like 90 percent of the offense.

I just think he has had an unfair amount of detractors in his career, and has been uphill all the way. Vick gets all kinds of credit, while donovan did the same thing and was basically slammed until last year. He handles himself with grace, and that should count IMO.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:03 am

btw, santa claus was drunk that day.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:06 am

portisfan24 wrote:Why is it the dumbest? Ia pplaud him for going against the grain. I may not completely agree, but he makes some interesting arguments.

Yeah, like when he says that Philly fans are the worst group of sports fans when it comes to kicking players when they're down....THEN he proceeds to kick McNabb while he's down.

Hypocrite.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Dumbest Sports Article of the year (about McNabb)

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:48 am

JT the Brick wrote:That is the type of mistake you make when you playing on the road in a meaningless preseason matchup, not in a must-win game in front of your home fans that could make or break the entire season.

It seems to me that if you're going to write an article bashing someone you had better make sure it's gramatically correct. :-t

Even I, a die hard Redskins Fan and bejeagle hater, can appreciate how D-mac has handled his situation in philly from the very start from when he was booed on draft day or rather his selection was booed through this whole TO mess.

"Next Question"
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cooner » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:06 am

seems to me Donovan has mainly failed in big games when he realizes that he must carry the team in order for them to win. He presses too hard, trying to force a play, because he knows if he doesn't, no one else will. So yeah, the guy has made mistakes in big games... but mainly when it was a case of carry the team or go down in flames trying. And while McNabb has more often than not simply carried the team, said nothing about it, won games, and received little to no recognition from many for it, he's also had his fair share of going down in flames. We all know which of those situations Philly fans, media, and other obnoxious players who are no longer with the team focus on...
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:23 am

What makes this article ludicrous is the suggestion that Philly has turned on Donovan McNabb. I know from being an Eagles fan that we're a very tough fan base. We booed his selection and cursed Andy Reid for not taking Ricky Williams, though no one will admit to having personally done so now. One bad opening half against TB in 2003 and the home crowd was chanting "Feeley." Yes, we get angry, and sometimes violent, any time our players don't perform to their best.

But there is no athlete in Philadelphia sports right now more beloved than Donovan McNabb. And in my 20+ years of being a fan of every Philadelphia sports team, I've never seen a player so beloved by this city's fan base. So what's wrong with this article is that the author contrived some nonsensical misinformation about Philly fans in order to juice up his story by suggesting McNabb might go to another team. It's sensationalism, and its retarded.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby gablefan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:09 am

OK you guys booed him on Monday after the INT and cheered when they pu McMhan (sp) in. That is being beloved???
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk