Is the NFC North that bad? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Is the NFC North that bad?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:19 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:What about the NFC West - wouldnt they qualify to be in the NFC North/AFC East range - or does the presence of SEA raise the division?


The NFC West is 15-21 which is also worse than the NCF North - good call CBM.

So then why is so much made of the NFC North, is it just because the best team is not as good as the other best teams in those divisions.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Postby sharptongued1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:11 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:What about the NFC West - wouldnt they qualify to be in the NFC North/AFC East range - or does the presence of SEA raise the division?


The NFC West is 15-21 which is also worse than the NCF North - good call CBM.

So then why is so much made of the NFC North, is it just because the best team is not as good as the other best teams in those divisions.


I think it has to do with a lot of things:

1) The extreme underachievment of the pre-season favorite (Vikings)

2) The Bears winning ugly (defense, etc.)

3) The injury bug ravaging the two contenders in the AFC East (Patriots/Jets) sort of giving them a, "mulligan"

I'm sure there are other factors as well.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:14 pm

Part of what makes the NFC North look a little less than pitiful when you look at their records is the fact that they get to play eachother so many times.... Let's look at the results when they are playing teams outside their own pitiful division:


Detroit (3-2): Victories against: Baltimore, Cleveland, and Arizona, whose combined record is 7-20..

Chicago (3-3): Victories against: San Francisco, New Orleans, and Baltimore, whose combined record is 6-21....

Minnesota (2-4): Victories against: New Orleans and New York, whose combined record is 8-10....

Green Bay (2-5): Victories against: New Orleans and Atlanta, whose combined record is 8-10...


Seems like the one saving grace of the NFC North teams is that, with the exception of Detroit, they have all gotten to beat up on New Orleans.... Of course, Detroit got to beat up on Arizona....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby sharptongued1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:27 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Part of what makes the NFC North look a little less than pitiful when you look at their records is the fact that they get to play eachother so many times.... Let's look at the results when they are playing teams outside their own pitiful division:


Detroit (3-2): Victories against: Baltimore, Cleveland, and Arizona, whose combined record is 7-20..

Chicago (3-3): Victories against: San Francisco, New Orleans, and Baltimore, whose combined record is 6-21....

Minnesota (2-4): Victories against: New Orleans and New York, whose combined record is 8-10....

Green Bay (2-5): Victories against: New Orleans and Atlanta, whose combined record is 8-10...


Seems like the one saving grace of the NFC North teams is that, with the exception of Detroit, they have all gotten to beat up on New Orleans.... Of course, Detroit got to beat up on Arizona....


But couldn't the same be said for the AFC East or the NFC West as well? It'd be interesting to see what those records looked like.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:37 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Part of what makes the NFC North look a little less than pitiful when you look at their records is the fact that they get to play eachother so many times.... Let's look at the results when they are playing teams outside their own pitiful division:


Detroit (3-2): Victories against: Baltimore, Cleveland, and Arizona, whose combined record is 7-20..

Chicago (3-3): Victories against: San Francisco, New Orleans, and Baltimore, whose combined record is 6-21....

Minnesota (2-4): Victories against: New Orleans and New York, whose combined record is 8-10....

Green Bay (2-5): Victories against: New Orleans and Atlanta, whose combined record is 8-10...


Seems like the one saving grace of the NFC North teams is that, with the exception of Detroit, they have all gotten to beat up on New Orleans.... Of course, Detroit got to beat up on Arizona....


But couldn't the same be said for the AFC East or the NFC West as well? It'd be interesting to see what those records looked like.



Sure it could.... But, at least in the AFC East and NFC West there are marquee teams who can still beat just about anyone in the league on any given Sunday.... New England has been decimated by injuries this year, but you still cannot count out the back-to-back Superbowl Champs.... And Seattle could very easily end up being the number 1 seed from the NFC in the playoffs... Were it not for the fact that every division is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, there would be little to no chance that any team from the NFC North would make it, and there is every possibility in the world that the eventual division champion will finish at .500.... That's pitiful....

To use an NCAA analogy, the AFC East is like the Pac-10... They have one true marquee team that has won back-to-back championships.... The NFC West is like the Big-12... They have one team that is currently studly, while the rest falter... The NFC North is like the Big East, where all the teams suck pretty bad, but one of them will be granted a bowl bid merely because the spot has to be filled by somebody from the conference....

Of the Pack-10, Big-12, and Big East, I think it's pretty easy to pick out the loser conference....

Here is where you start telling me about UCLA and Oregon, and I'll admit my analogy isn't exactly dead on, but you get the point...
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:06 pm

Here are the NFC West and AFC East records against non-division:

AFC East
NE (3-4): Victories against: Oakland, Pittsburgh, Atlanta whose combined record is 16-11..

Buffalo (2-4): Victories against: Houston, Kansas City, whose combined record is 6-12....

Miami (3-3): Victories against: Denver, Carolina, New Orleans, whose combined record is 16-11....

NYJ (1-6): Victories against: Tampa Bay, whose combined record is 6-3...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFC West
Seattle (3-2): Victories against: Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, whose combined record is 13-14..

St Louis (3-2): Victories against: Tennessee, New Orleans, Jacksonville, whose combined record is 10-17....

Arizona (1-4): Victories against: Tennessee, whose combined record is 2-7....

San Francisco (1-6): Victories against: Tampa Bay, whose combined record is 6-3...


Not very stellar as most have beat up on Tennesse, Houston or New Orleans

Again, not sure it is much worse than the NFC North. The AFC East is a little better in this comparision, but the NFC West does not hold up very well
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:23 pm

dream_017 wrote:Here are the NFC West and AFC East records against non-division:

AFC East
NE (3-4): Victories against: Oakland, Pittsburgh, Atlanta whose combined record is 16-11..

Buffalo (2-4): Victories against: Houston, Kansas City, whose combined record is 6-12....

Miami (3-3): Victories against: Denver, Carolina, New Orleans, whose combined record is 16-11....

NYJ (1-6): Victories against: Tampa Bay, whose combined record is 6-3...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFC West
Seattle (3-2): Victories against: Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, whose combined record is 13-14..

St Louis (3-2): Victories against: Tennessee, New Orleans, Jacksonville, whose combined record is 10-17....

Arizona (1-4): Victories against: Tennessee, whose combined record is 2-7....

San Francisco (1-6): Victories against: Tampa Bay, whose combined record is 6-3...


Not very stellar as most have beat up on Tennesse, Houston or New Orleans

Again, not sure it is much worse than the NFC North. The AFC East is a little better in this comparision, but the NFC West does not hold up very well



OK, well here is another way of looking at it....

I'll give you the fact that San Francisco sucks.... Fine...

And I'll even admit that Arizona ain't much better, although I think they would be favored to beat Detroit or Minnesota if they played in Arizona...

But Seattle and St. Louis would be favored to beat all four NFC North teams regardless of venue....


And I'll give you the fact that the Jets suck.... Fine...

But New England would be favored to beat all four NFC North teams regardless of venue...

And Miami and Buffalo would probably be favored against all four NFC North teams at home, and would be favored against Detroit on the road...
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:44 pm

Gosh, before I read this thread I had no idea how much BAD football there is in the NFL this year.

Let's not knock my Bears too much. They're winning with a great D and a dysfunctional offense led by a Rookie QB and Thomas Jones.

Nobody ever knock the Bears! NEVER!

The Bears are going to the Super Bowl, do you hear me? They're going! They're going to WIN!!! Win I say!

WINNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnn!!! :~( :~( :~(
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:06 pm

Let's end this debate by saying the NFC North is the greatest division ever in the history of mankind, and will win out every game this year, including the ones where they play each other, where they will be given a W regardless of the score, and the NFL will decide to change the Superbowl to all NFC North teams instead of AFC vs NFC and have the first ever Battle Royal Superbowl where all 4 teams take the field at once and try to stop anyone from scoring at all. The winner is then decided by popular vote by the people of Uruguay so it will be impartial.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4887
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Who?

Postby daullaz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:43 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Let's end this debate by saying the NFC North is the greatest division ever in the history of mankind, and will win out every game this year, including the ones where they play each other, where they will be given a W regardless of the score, and the NFL will decide to change the Superbowl to all NFC North teams instead of AFC vs NFC and have the first ever Battle Royal Superbowl where all 4 teams take the field at once and try to stop anyone from scoring at all. The winner is then decided by popular vote by the people of Uruguay so it will be impartial.


C'mon now. You can't be serious.

We all know the people of Uruguay love Brett Favre. And that's just not fair.
Image
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3107
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cave

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:46 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact