Major problem with our league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Major problem with our league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:54 pm

ok...now the guy posted a message saying that its his team and he can do whatever he wants. 3 of the last 4 are contenders in this league. Ive personally faced this guy the twice with his usual team, now these guys are going to get cake walks...its just not fair
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:58 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:ok...now the guy posted a message saying that its his team and he can do whatever he wants. 3 of the last 4 are contenders in this league. Ive personally faced this guy the twice with his usual team, now these guys are going to get cake walks...its just not fair

Yep that's the way the Fantasy Football bounces. Just make sure he pays up, and don't have him back next season even if he is your borther. i don't really know what relation he is to you but you get my point.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:48 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:ok...now the guy posted a message saying that its his team and he can do whatever he wants. 3 of the last 4 are contenders in this league. Ive personally faced this guy the twice with his usual team, now these guys are going to get cake walks...its just not fair

I don't really like all this talk about not playing with him next week, and everyone from the Cafe says it. I read it every time one of these posts comes up about someone doing something shady in their league.

The fact is, you have to play FF with somebody, and when you get 12 people together, there are going to be different personalities. Some will try to win every game, regardless. Others will quit once they are out of contention. I am not judging any of these people because I am almost out of contention myself, and I am not sure that I will want to put forth the effort to keep the best possible roster out there every week should I fall by the wayside.

If someone is doing something you don't like, you have three options:
1. Suck it up and beat them anyway. Who cares about the shady stuff if you win?
2. Take your ball and go home (AKA quit the league next season). The problem is that eventually you will run out of leagues to play in - other than Yahoo publics (cause everyone in those pays attention the whole season).
3. Try to reform the shady behavior. Provide an incentive for them not to do what they are doing. (This is harder with open collusion, but quitting is a pretty easy one to solve)

Sorry about the shot I took at the Cafe-ers above. I don't mean to insult anyone, but if you were to quit the league everytime another owner does something you wouldn't do, you wouldn't have anyone to play with. And the standard response everytime someone asks this question seems to be "those guys aren't worthy to play with, quit the league."
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:28 pm

Seeing as though it's one guy who is the "problem," might I suggest that you have the commissioner not ask that person back next year instead of you just quitting the league? :-? Then it would be a lot easier to keep your league going and would weed out the people who don't want to be serious.

There was a joker in one of my leagues last year that tried to load up his whole team with Steelers players. He tried to get Ward away from me, and another idiot obliged him by trying to trade him Jerome Bettis for LT. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy about that. That trade did not stand because of the lopsided nature of the trade and the upset of competitive balance that would have ensued.

Someone else suggested to add in an incentive to keep playing. If you are in a money league or in a league that has a draft party or something like that, some sort of degrading task (paying for the party, etc.) for the last place team seems to be enough to keep people going. }:-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Wizzle » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:36 pm

I am in 2 money leagues and we have a toilet bowl for the bottom half of the leagues where you can at least get close to your money back for winning. Not sure what you can really do about people tanking games but having the toilet bowl has at least made it so people wont blow their rosters to be stupid.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk