Shaun Alexander overated?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shaun Alexander overated??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Shader » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:57 am

What in the heck does SA have to do to satisfy some of you guys?

If I want a running back here are my criteria:

1. Rush for alot of yards--Check
2. Stay healthy--Check (NEVER MISSES A GAME)
3. Get long runs--Check (Has more long runs than any other rb in the last 5 years)
4. Score touchdowns--Check

What the heck else is there? Someone earlier in this thread said he's not talking about yards or touchdowns, he's talking about talent!!! That is so absurd, I don't even know what to say.

Alexander has unbelievable vision and a nose for the end-zone that is unrivaled. And he'll be in the hall of fame as well, so you morons that think Edgerrin James or Jamal Lewis have more talent, well they can enjoy that talent because they won't sniff the hall, and Alexander is a shoo-in, barring serious injury.

People that think Alexander is overrated probably thought Emmitt Smith was overrated..which is an ever bigger travesty.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shader » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:07 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
henryhormann wrote:Unreal. There are a ton of runningbacks who haven't done jack behind a good O-line.

Like who?

I really hope you guys dont think Im anti-SA or anything along those lines. All Im trying to do is try and get you away from Yds and TDs as a measurement of talent - they are not.

LOL. Yards and touchdowns aren't a measurement of talent?? What is? Your 40 time? That is the most ludicrous thing I've read in a long time. All you have to judge a running back by is the yards. Touchdowns admittedly, aren't always a sign of greatness, but when you score them at the rate SA is scoring them...they most definetely are.

So if yards aren't a measurement of talent..what is? Seriously? I read another one of your posts claiming that if you were starting a team, you wouldn't put SA in your top ten for rb's. Again..laughable. What on earth can Edgerrin do that SA can't? Jamal Lewis? Un-believable that people think he's anywhere near Alexander. Why? What has he ever done to prove that?

I read that Alexander isn't great at moving the pile and getting the tough yards. Yet he scores more touchdowns than anyone...not the sign of someone that can't get the tough yards.

I read that Alexander isn't fast, elusive, or doesn't seem impressive...Yet, he has ALWAYS run for longer distances than any other rb in the league.

I challenge anyone to give me a single reason why I shouldn't think of him as one of the top two rb's in the league, talent-wise, fantasy-wise or whatever? The reason can't be "because I watched him one time and wasn't impressed". Tell me something he doesn't do great, and prove it somehow.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:41 am

Shader - yds and Tds have an element of skill in them, but mostly they are derived from the situation they are in - just like completion % isnt a measurement of accuracy.

The argument is that there are simply way too many other factors besides skill that go into yds and Tds, that to use yds and Tds as a measurement of skill completely writes off all of the other factors.

Do you understand?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shader » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:03 am

CM, I understand what you're trying to say. I just completely disagree. What else is there to judge talent by if you can't use the player's production?
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:24 am

Shader wrote:CM, I understand what you're trying to say. I just completely disagree. What else is there to judge talent by if you can't use the player's production?

Thats why I initially warned people about this topic:

Cornberad Maxwell wrote:The discussion is about talent. How do you measure talent? Well - you can start with combine numbers to get a base indication of a players physical abilities, but thats just a small starting point and you cant really go any further with it. In fact, the majority of this discussion will be based on those who watch SA play every week - purely subjective analysis. If you dont like that - then this probably isnt the argument you want to join in on - it is what it is.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:29 am

Well, you can do all the subjective analysis that you want about whether this guy or that guy is talented but ultimately talent and greatness are quantified by production. That's how people get into the HOF. Everyone in the HOF is in there to a large degree because of their productivity, quantified by statistics. People can bring up all the topics they want about Alexander is overrated, Peyton is overrated, Brady is overrated, etc, but you know what, you just can't prove it. You are wasting your breath.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby moonhead » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:45 am

welll, we made it to 8 aww :-B
the discussion has been petering out though.
you set the line well....almost, like you'd seen one of these before.... :-?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby danleroi22 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:53 am

Are you kidding... SA is underrated... I think he's better than LT.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sharptongued1 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:25 pm

VaderFin wrote:Dollars to donoughts says he won't be leaving Seattle. In fact, I would be very, very shocked if he did.

I'll wager you a Krispy Kreme factory that he's gone next season. He restructured his deal before the start of this season that made him a UFA at the end of the season. One of the things in his contract is that the Seahawks can't franchise him. I'm not exactly aware of their exact salary cap situation, but after giving big contracts to Walter Jones, Matt Hasselbeck and Leonard Little, not to mention that Hutchinson is also a UFA this year as well I'm sure there's not too much left in the pool, at least not enough to satisfy Alexander's needs. Couple that with several teams who have runningback needs and the means by which to pay him, it doesn't bode well for Alexander returning next season
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:30 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Dollars to donoughts says he won't be leaving Seattle. In fact, I would be very, very shocked if he did.

I'll wager you a Krispy Kreme factory that he's gone next season. He restructured his deal before the start of this season that made him a UFA at the end of the season. One of the things in his contract is that the Seahawks can't franchise him. I'm not exactly aware of their exact salary cap situation, but after giving big contracts to Walter Jones, Matt Hasselbeck and Leonard Little, not to mention that Hutchinson is also a UFA this year as well I'm sure there's not too much left in the pool, at least not enough to satisfy Alexander's needs. Couple that with several teams who have runningback needs and the means by which to pay him, it doesn't bode well for Alexander returning next season

Did you just say the Seahawks gave a big contract to Leonard Little?
Pokeyouindaeye
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk