Waiver Wire/FA Priority? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Waiver Wire/FA Priority?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Waiver Wire&FA Priority?

My league uses Waiver Wire/FA Priority - I like it!
74%
My league uses WW/FA priorty - I think it sucks!
11%
My league doesn't use WW/FA priority - I wish it would
No votes
My league doesn't use WW/FA priority - Thank God!
11%
What is WW/FA priority???
5%

Total votes : 19

Waiver Wire/FA Priority?

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:47 am

What do you think? My personal feeling is that Waiver Priority Sucks. My league used to have limited transactions per week, but it was first come-first served with WW and Free Agent pickups. Now, I feel like I'm missing out on players I could have swiped before the news hit every fantasy site known to man. Some goof can just wait all week, read a website for the latest player news and then make a move to pick up a guy that I already decided I wanted to pick up 5 days ago.

I think it's meant to even things out for the people who don't frequently monitor Fantasy Football, but since I am monitoring all the time, I think it sucks for me. I've missed out on almost all the hot pickups this year. All because of WW priority. What's your opinion?
Last edited by saundman2000 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 am

The WW priority is disabled in our Yahoo league. On Tuesday morning, the last place team gets 2 hours to pick up one player if they want. Everyone should have already had a shot by Thursday night...on Friday morning, it's a free for all until the rosters are locked 5 minutes before a player's game time. It's worked out well so far...we had a couple snags since the WW priorty feature wasn't disabled until about 3 weeks ago, so guys with higher waiver priority were getting guys dropped to waivers before anyone else had a shot.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SniperShot » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:52 am

Skip work or school or dentist or life issues to be at the computer at 9:00 AM EST -6 GMT to pickup players when transaction period starts up again for the week. It's my simple rule. ;-D I've never been in a Waiver Priority league or had that in effect so I don't know exactly what it is but I'm assuming its defined picks and so on so only a specific team can make a pick at a time right?

EDIT:
footballchick23 wrote:The WW priority is disabled in our Yahoo league. On Tuesday morning, the last place team gets 2 hours to pick up one player if they want. Everyone should have already had a shot by Thursday night...on Friday morning, it's a free for all until the rosters are locked 5 minutes before a player's game time. It's worked out well so far...we had a couple snags since the WW priorty feature wasn't disabled until about 3 weeks ago, so guys with higher waiver priority were getting guys dropped to waivers before anyone else had a shot.
That sounds like it could work very well.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:57 am

SniperShot wrote:Skip work or school or dentist or life issues to be at the computer at 9:00 AM EST -6 GMT to pickup players when transaction period starts up again for the week. It's my simple rule. ;-D I've never been in a Waiver Priority league or had that in effect so I don't know exactly what it is but I'm assuming its defined picks and so on so only a specific team can make a pick at a time right?

EDIT:
footballchick23 wrote:The WW priority is disabled in our Yahoo league. On Tuesday morning, the last place team gets 2 hours to pick up one player if they want. Everyone should have already had a shot by Thursday night...on Friday morning, it's a free for all until the rosters are locked 5 minutes before a player's game time. It's worked out well so far...we had a couple snags since the WW priorty feature wasn't disabled until about 3 weeks ago, so guys with higher waiver priority were getting guys dropped to waivers before anyone else had a shot.
That sounds like it could work very well.

Yea it's basically a list of all teams 1-12 (in my case) and the initial order is determined by reverse draft order.

After that, if you are #1 on the list, you can make a move on the WED before a game to pick up a guy and even if someone else filed for the same transaction on MON, you get the guy. If you had been #4 on the list and the #3 team filed for the guy, then you lose out.

The list changes week to week. As you excercise your option to make an add/drop and you are successful, you go to #12 on the list.

If you make an add that no one else filed for, then your WW priority position does not change.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:58 am

We use a waiver wire, but it runs twice a week, at noon on Wednesday and 6:00 Friday, after that players are first come first serve. Works well.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Horizons » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:59 am

I've tried the WW both ways in one league that I'm commissioner of and have found the wire, in reverse order of standings, seems to work best. In a good, knowledgeable league where all the owners are on top of their game, it gives people a chance to recover from injuries and other misfortunes that happen over the course of a season. This also keeps the league more competitive and everyone seems happier. In the past owners got upset with the same ghouls hovering over the "continue" button at 5:59am every Monday morning. Believe it or not FF isn't about grinding the opposition into Banta fodder it's about having a good time with peeps you like. ;-)

Bahahahaaaaa.....right
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:12 pm

I like the "modified" type of WW priority that people are describing.

I am one of those Ghouls who likes to try and beat everyone to the punch. I really don't care if other people miss out because they were too slow.

I'm competitive by nature and I can live with it if I miss out because someone is faster at acting than I am. I find it incredibly frustrating if I miss out because I used up my #2 waiver wire priority back in week 2 and now 10 people have all week to realize/read that a guy is a key acquisition when I realized it before the news hit the wires.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:16 pm

Waiver pickups are players that have been dropped and have to go through a waiver period in that time if a couple owners opt to pick that guy up then the person with highest waiver position wins.
I think this topic is regarding FA pickups. In which case it's first come first serve. May the smartest and fastest owner win. Does it suck yes, but it's all part of the game. Who'd ever thunk samkon gado would be this crazy FA beast.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:56 pm

My Keeper league bases waiver priority on inverse order of record. It's all still processed in batch (by ESPN) on Wed morning, but the ordering is changed each week according to the record. I like this more than the old fashioned queue (once you use it, you're back to the bottom). Saving waiver priority is annoying, and worse teams should get first shot, to try to keep everyone participating.

In competitive leagues, I like waiver priority. The less time between the end of Monday's game and the transactions the better tho. Some leagues have you wait til Thurs or Frid - bah! There's no time to do anything else but set your lineup. In public leagues it is just an annoyance.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:06 pm

I like having WW priority.... But, I work 7 days a week... On Sundays I am usually working my second job, and often times only get to watch the late game... It sucks if you miss out on the good pick-ups only because your computer access is limited on the weekends, or immediately following the games.... Truly competitive leagues should offer a fair chance for everyone to pick up players, and not rely on whoever has the most time on the internet....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk