Top 3 RBs, right now???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CTC » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:04 am

I predict that by the end of the year, the top three backs will be:

Holmes
Portis
LT
(in no particular order)

What is it in the water in the AFC West?
CTC
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jeru » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:16 am

It's really hard to tell, but the top RB could easily be any of 5 guys IMO, all have questions surrounding them.

LT: (can SD defence keep the game close enough that they don't have to junk the running game?)
Williams: Can Fiedler and the passing game keep defences off balance?
Portis: If Plummer struggles, will D's be able to shut him down; also does he have the durability to withstand a full season of punishment with his small frame?
Holmes: Can he stay healthy; already a bit banged up?
Faulk: Easiest schedule in the league the rest of the way and seems to play better with Bulger QBing, but does he have anything left?

It also wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see McAllister or Alexander get into the mix, given the high octane offenses they are in.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby arrbez » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:20 am

why is everybody still predicting LT to come out over ricky? not only did ricky outperform him last year, but he's outperforming him this year by 110 yds and 2 TD's through 2 games. he's on a better team, and get's the ball more than LT as well. i agree that tomlinson is not performing up to his capabilities right now, and i'm sure he'll do better as the season progresses. but still, ricky is getting no respect.
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:37 am

arrbez wrote:why is everybody still predicting LT to come out over ricky?

Because LT put up his # with no support to open things up for him last year. This year that was supposed to change. It may yet, if the D decides to show up.

Friendliness: %

Postby mack-avelli » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:49 am

By the end of the season in this order:

Holmes
Henry
Williams
mack-avelli

Postby arrbez » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:56 am

but it's not the issue of who is a better RB. the issue is: who will have better numbers. i really don't see a big turnaround for the chargers any time soon. i think boston is a bust, brees isn't a gamebreaker, and their D is doomed. i DO however, think miami could continue to get better, especially once their D gels.
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:58 am

More effective than the D showing up, would be if the passing game could become a threat, then defenses would have to respect it, letting LT turn loose on maybe only 6-7 man fronts instead of 8-9.

I'm suprised how the Holmes skepticism isbeing kept up. He may have not lead the yardage totals last year, but he was by far the best RB, with 24 TDs and one of the best yardage totals in only 14 games. He's proven his injury didn't effect him, and is clearly dominating the running game in the nfl: 5 TD (tied 1st) 300+ total yards (2nd), and when you consider that he's gotten 100+ yards and 2+ TDs in both games, his consistency tops that of backs which are currently putting up impressive numbers (Jamal Lewis getting almost all his yards last weekend, Henry getting no yards practically, but 3 TDs this week). Priest looks set to lead the RB position once again for nfl and fantasy.

My picks for top 3:
1) Holmes
2) Williams
3) Portis
maddog60

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:39 pm

Holmes, Portis, Alexander and Henry,,,ya ok 4,,,SD just cant do it therefore LDT just cant do what he normally does, and I just dont see Ricky keeping up with this guys (fantasy wise). I'll keep ya posted with fantasy scoring through out the year untill I am getting proven wrong.

And no Jamal is not on my list and won't be...........ever.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

top 3

Postby jas99_ca » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:07 pm

top 3 right now

holmes
portis
green or alexander
jas99_ca
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Orange and Blue » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:55 am

CTC wrote:What is it in the water in the AFC West?

Talent?

As far as Fantasy points go, it's Holmes, Portis, Williams. As far as yards rushing go, it's Portis, Williams, Holmes. TD-wise, it's back to Holmes, Portis, Williams.

Holmes is to KC under Vermeil what Faulk was to StL under Vermeil. The entire offense.

Portis is carrying the Broncos bigtime while Plummer gets a handle on the scheme. I don't know if anyone realizes it, but he was actually averaging MORE yards per carry than Jamal Lewis last week, and had 129 yards in the first half alone. Also, Stephen Davis and Clinton Portis are the only 2 backs to have 2 100 yard weeks so far (despite Portis only playing for the first half against SD).

Williams is like Stephen Davis, only a lot more talented, and with a slightly better pass attack (which he is mildly involved in). He got 34 carries last week, which is an insane number, and puts him as a bigger injury risk as Portis or Holmes, in my book. He also didn't even get as many yards as Portis did (on nearly 3 times as many carries), but he wasn't playing SD either. The Dolphins are going to give the ball to Ricky- a lot- and he might not do as much with it as Holmes or Portis, but he won't have to, because he'll be getting it- a lot.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk