Another ethics question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another ethics question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another ethics question

Postby grover99 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:30 am

In my 12 team dynasty league(auction draft) our trade deadline has passed. But the way our waivers work after friday you can pickup anyone that is dropped on a first come first serve basis. Another player put Edge on the trade block this week. We are both in the playoffs right now. He wants a RB and WR. Is is wrong if I try to work somethin out with him so that we drop the players and pick them up immediatly. I'm not looking to rip him off. I would probably offer Wayne, DJax, and Caddy. Is this wrong to find a loophole in the system?
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mystykoekaki » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:41 am

I would say its unethical because you have to go out of your way and against the original system to make this trade happen. This trade should never happen, respect your leagues rules.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby grover99 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:53 am

I agree, but this is the first year of this league. Is it better to bring it up the commish, sit back and watch somebody else do it, or be the player that makes a WW trade?
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:09 am

Sorry but that is cheating. You are making a trade after the trade deadline by finding and exploiting a loophole in your leagues rules. You couldn't do what you are proposing in any of my leagues. Once a player is dropped they are on waivers for 48 hours. This gives everyone in the league an oppurtunity to claim the player. The owner with the lowest WW position will get the player. Play by the rules and make sure that next year you make the trade before the deadline.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Wizzle » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:36 am

Looks like cheating to me, regardless if the moves are 'legal' or not. Dropping Edge if he is not on IR is collusion no matter how you look at it
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:38 am

A way to prevent such "transactions" is to make anyone dropped after the trade deadline "retired" for the season. This is performed in both of my big money leagues and it prevents people from making such moves.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Wizzle » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:42 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:A way to prevent such "transactions" is to make anyone dropped after the trade deadline "retired" for the season. This is performed in both of my big money leagues and it prevents people from making such moves.

Sounds like the perfect fix. ;-D
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby mystykoekaki » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:24 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:A way to prevent such "transactions" is to make anyone dropped after the trade deadline "retired" for the season. This is performed in both of my big money leagues and it prevents people from making such moves.

Couldn't the "cant cut list" work also in the case of big time players?
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:43 am

mystykoekaki wrote:

Couldn't the "cant cut list" work also in the case of big time players?

It could, if a league has such a list. But even leagues with "can't cut" lists don't cover all the bases. Players that aren't on the list can still find their way onto other rosters because of the loophole mentioned earlier. My league's "retired" list after the trade deadline covers all the bases.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Another ethics question

Postby Matthias » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:57 am

grover99 wrote:In my 12 team dynasty league(auction draft) our trade deadline has passed. Is is wrong if I try to work somethin out with him so that we drop the players and pick them up immediatly.

(a) your trade deadline has passed
(b) you're trying to do a trade
(c) you don't really need to ask if this is wrong, do you

i would bring it up to the league as a loophole so that noone comes across this idea and then gets upset if they're not allowed to do it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk