Does anyone besides me think Westbrook is highly overrated?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does anyone besides me think Westbrook is highly overrated??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does anyone besides me think Westbrook is highly overrated??

Postby Bronco_7 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:05 pm

I am not sure why this guy is talked up so much? I would not class him among the elite backs in the league. When making my picks I made sure that Westbrook was far down my draft list as I did not want to waste a high pick on him. Maybe I am missing something and he is great but please in a bad system for him, but that said, why would anyone pick him high in a fantasy draft? I certainly would not.

Thoughts??
Sig GoodStash

12 team
QBs Roethlisberger, Kapernik
RBs Doug Martin, D Thomas, Bryce Brown
WRs C Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Garcon
TE Gates
K Vinatiari
DST Jets, Cards
Bronco_7
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:10 pm

i've seen him have some incredible games. he is a bit inconsistent...and i think that is part of issue. he's not a hard runner, you know, he's not going to rush for 100 yards in very many contests.
I remember playing against him last year and he had like 200 offensive yards and 3 TDs.

But he's nowhere near as overrated as Shaun Alexander ;-7 :-?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Slingblade » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:28 pm

Westbrook is a great back, he is just not used enough.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants! » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:34 pm

In PPR leagues westbrook is very underrated. In non ppr leageus i can see him begin ovverrated as he doesnt get a lot of rushing yards and rushing tds
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UNDEFEATED » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:45 pm

Over the summer, i was a major hater of westbrook. I consistently dropped him in my rankings and voiced my opinion of how overrated he is. Just like this thread is doing. But boy was i wrong.

What does it matter if he doesn't rush for 80-100 yards a game. Last I checked rec yards are worth just the same. And he leads the league in rb receptions AGAIN.

Westybrook is a yardage whore. He puts up numbers all the time. And he is explosive.

rankings by year
'02-73
'03-20
'04-10
'05-7

Not only is he under-rated but he is improving every year.

Its not only about mcnabb the offense fits him and mcnabb perfectly.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Keyser_WV » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:25 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:Over the summer, i was a major hater of westbrook. I consistently dropped him in my rankings and voiced my opinion of how overrated he is. Just like this thread is doing. But boy was i wrong.

What does it matter if he doesn't rush for 80-100 yards a game. Last I checked rec yards are worth just the same. And he leads the league in rb receptions AGAIN.

Westybrook is a yardage whore. He puts up numbers all the time. And he is explosive.

rankings by year
'02-73
'03-20
'04-10
'05-7

Not only is he under-rated but he is improving every year.

Its not only about mcnabb the offense fits him and mcnabb perfectly.

I agree.

Westbrook is underrated big time IMO.

As you can see in the above post he was a top 10 back last year and will be again this year.

I liken it to Tiki Barber and Warrick Dunn. People just can't get over the fact that they don't get 20+ carries a game.

What they don't factor in is that they will generally have at least 50 rushing and 50 receiving every week. Throw in a TD and you are looking at some nice numbers each week.

In my league (1 point every 10 rush/rec, 6 points per TD) Westbrook has scored as follows:

16, 17, 32, 6, 3, 9, 15, 7, 17 = 7th ranked RB

That puts him ahead of guys like Portis, McGahee, and R. Johnson who were all probably drafted ahead of Westbrook.

2004 - 1511 total yards and 9 TD's

2005 so far - 924 total yards and 6 TD's and he still has 7 games left.

Grossly underrated
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Warhawk » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:17 am

Well, assuming that your points:yards is the same for rushing and receiving...

Westbrook has over 900 combined yards... Which is pretty good for any RB at this point in the season. I think it's dumb to say he's overrated because a lot of his yardage comes in receptions. That counts for points, too, and he gets a lot of it.

Anyway, if they start running the football more now, it will be good for them and him. Against dallas he has 84 yards on 16 carries and a TD and 32 yards on 5 catches. Decent in a normal league, very good in a ppr league.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:02 am

I own Westbrook in a performance heavy keeper league.

The scoring rules are prefect for him. We get 1 point per reception, 1 pt per 5 rushes, 1 pt for every 10 yards rushing and receiving and 6 pts per tds.

Plus there are bonuses for catching 10 passes a game. You get 3 extra points. One game this year, Westbrook got me 13 points just on catches alone!!! I love him in that league and plan on holding on to him for a few years. Last year he was the #9 best running back scoring-wise and this year he is #6 only behind LT, SA, Edge, Lamont and Tiki.

Is he overrated in a performance type scoring league? NO - probably underrated.

Only way you can call Westbrook overrated is if you spent a high draft pick on him when your league is TD-oriented scoring system. Even then, you still are getting decent value out of him. But Westbrook clearly deserves the high praise in leagues that award yardage and touches.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby johnrambo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:22 am

he is tough like Dunn and if used properly could be one of the best in the legue. it will be intresting to see want he does without mcnabb and TO. if you want to talk overated eagles lets talk mcnabb.
" Who can make a play? T.O. can make a play." T.Owens
johnrambo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 4Pack » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:25 am

Westbrook thrives in point per reception leagues (as does Dom Davis when healthy). Westbrook has the 5th most fantasy points for RB's in my PPR leagues.

I am the commish in a newly formed private league and I included the PPR category. Apparently the other managers did not pay a lot of attention to the settings because I got a few laughs when I grabbed Westbrook with my 2nd round selection. Me....I was very happy he was still on the board.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk