Young Coaches - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Young Coaches

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:13 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Then Plinds tell me this...why are there currently so very, very, very few African American Head Coaches? It can't be because none of them are talented enough. I don't know the number but it is 3 or 4 in all of Div 1A....you gonna tell me there are no other qualified candidates?? The number of current coaches show he is at a disadvantage...your opinion doesn't outweigh the facts here.


Hope you dont mind, Vaderfin, but I'd like a crack at this one. The media and the BCA, much like with other issues, want this to be made an issue of racism when its actually just an issue of race. (For those that will jump all over this, yes, there's a difference.) Desegregation is still fairly new in terms of systems that have been in place for a long time. We are still a very segregated society in regards to many Amercians' lives. Most blacks have many black contacts compared to most whites. Most whites have many white contacts versus black contacts. It isnt this way due to racism (maybe thats how it got started), but due to who you group up with or where, friends of family members, etc. Times are changing so that our society becomse more desegrated, but it is a process, wont happen overnight or because Jesse Jackson wants it to. So to come back to the original question a presumably white/rich AD is going to have more white contacts or know more white people that know the white coaches, etc., etc. If someone is trying to find racism, they'll claim this is too broad of a stroke to paint this picture with. But its realitly, like it or not. I will agree with Pindsley, that if the AD is presented two candidates that he/she has no ties to and all else is equal, the black candidate may be given the nod to bolster the schools PR. Again, whether you like it or not.



I'm waiting to see this in action......
Last edited by VaderFin on Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Re: Young Coaches

Postby sharptongued1 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:15 pm

Lushcrush wrote:Arkansas coach Houston Nutt needs to go. Who are the good, young coaches out there that YOU would want coaching your favorite team?
If you were an AD, who would you go after?:-?


For Arkansas, and I know that he's tried to leave before, but Bobby Petrino would be a nice get. I'd venture to say that he's holding out for an, "elite" program though. Mike Price is going to be coaching in a BCS conference again soon, maybe even next year (although he's really not, "young"). No reason why it can't be Arkansas. And a darkhorse to enter back into the coaching field is the one, the only, Rick Neuheisel.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:16 pm

VaderFin wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:And yes, coaching makes a difference. Talent alone can't win you games. We both should know that.


Obviously coaching makes a difference, but I submit to you that there are FAR better defensive coaches out there than Shannon, who do not have the same success he does, because their recruits are not 99.5% 1st team All-Americans....


And I would say you are wrong.



Of course you would....


But like it or not, Miami had success on defense long before Shannon, and they'll have success on defense long after Shannon.... The defensive co-ordinator position at the University of Miami is similar to the running back position in Kansas City or Denver in the NFL - any warm body will do....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:25 pm

VaderFin wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Then Plinds tell me this...why are there currently so very, very, very few African American Head Coaches? It can't be because none of them are talented enough. I don't know the number but it is 3 or 4 in all of Div 1A....you gonna tell me there are no other qualified candidates?? The number of current coaches show he is at a disadvantage...your opinion doesn't outweigh the facts here.


Hope you dont mind, Vaderfin, but I'd like a crack at this one. The media and the BCA, much like with other issues, want this to be made an issue of racism when its actually just an issue of race. (For those that will jump all over this, yes, there's a difference.) Desegregation is still fairly new in terms of systems that have been in place for a long time. We are still a very segregated society in regards to many Amercians' lives. Most blacks have many black contacts compared to most whites. Most whites have many white contacts versus black contacts. It isnt this way due to racism (maybe thats how it got started), but due to who you group up with or where, friends of family members, etc. Times are changing so that our society becomse more desegrated, but it is a process, wont happen overnight or because Jesse Jackson wants it to. So to come back to the original question a presumably white/rich AD is going to have more white contacts or know more white people that know the white coaches, etc., etc. If someone is trying to find racism, they'll claim this is too broad of a stroke to paint this picture with. But its realitly, like it or not. I will agree with Pindsley, that if the AD is presented two candidates that he/she has no ties to and all else is equal, the black candidate may be given the nod to bolster the schools PR. Again, whether you like it or not.



I'm waiting to see this in action......



Ummm..... Remember Tyrone Willingham? Are you seriously trying to tell me that Notre Dame - THE NOTRE DAME - couldn't find a more qualified coach than Tyrone Willingham?

Please...

That was a CLASSIC example of favoritism working in favor of a black coach for PR purposes if I ever saw one....

The University of Notre Dame could hire ANYONE they wanted to be their head coach... Jesus Christ himself probably applied for the job.... Do you really expect me to believe that Tyrone Willingham was the most qualified coach in the country willing to take the head coaching position at the University of Notre Dame?
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby VaderFin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:31 pm

I'm not going to sit back and argue this anymore. Everyone is going to have their own opinion, which is cool. My last thought is the numbers speak for themselves....3 out of 118 is a number you can try to justify anyway you want but in the end it is a crappy one none the less.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby sharptongued1 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:00 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Then Plinds tell me this...why are there currently so very, very, very few African American Head Coaches? It can't be because none of them are talented enough. I don't know the number but it is 3 or 4 in all of Div 1A....you gonna tell me there are no other qualified candidates?? The number of current coaches show he is at a disadvantage...your opinion doesn't outweigh the facts here.


Hope you dont mind, Vaderfin, but I'd like a crack at this one. The media and the BCA, much like with other issues, want this to be made an issue of racism when its actually just an issue of race. (For those that will jump all over this, yes, there's a difference.) Desegregation is still fairly new in terms of systems that have been in place for a long time. We are still a very segregated society in regards to many Amercians' lives. Most blacks have many black contacts compared to most whites. Most whites have many white contacts versus black contacts. It isnt this way due to racism (maybe thats how it got started), but due to who you group up with or where, friends of family members, etc. Times are changing so that our society becomse more desegrated, but it is a process, wont happen overnight or because Jesse Jackson wants it to. So to come back to the original question a presumably white/rich AD is going to have more white contacts or know more white people that know the white coaches, etc., etc. If someone is trying to find racism, they'll claim this is too broad of a stroke to paint this picture with. But its realitly, like it or not. I will agree with Pindsley, that if the AD is presented two candidates that he/she has no ties to and all else is equal, the black candidate may be given the nod to bolster the schools PR. Again, whether you like it or not.



I'm waiting to see this in action......



Ummm..... Remember Tyrone Willingham? Are you seriously trying to tell me that Notre Dame - THE NOTRE DAME - couldn't find a more qualified coach than Tyrone Willingham?

Please...

That was a CLASSIC example of favoritism working in favor of a black coach for PR purposes if I ever saw one....

The University of Notre Dame could hire ANYONE they wanted to be their head coach... Jesus Christ himself probably applied for the job.... Do you really expect me to believe that Tyrone Willingham was the most qualified coach in the country willing to take the head coaching position at the University of Notre Dame?


He was the guy they hired in a panic after the O'Leary thing happened. It's not like tons of guys were lining up to take that job, either. Bob Davie wrecked that program and the thought at the time was that Willingham, who was able to recruit to Stanford with its strict academic guidelines could do the same at Notre Dame (which he didn't).
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:03 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:
He was the guy they hired in a panic after the O'Leary thing happened. It's not like tons of guys were lining up to take that job, either. Bob Davie wrecked that program and the thought at the time was that Willingham, who was able to recruit to Stanford with its strict academic guidelines could do the same at Notre Dame (which he didn't).



There is ALWAYS a line out the door to coach at Notre Dame... It is perhaps the most covetted job in all of sport... Virtually any NFL coordinator would take the head coaching job at Notre Dame any day of the week....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:07 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:He was the guy they hired in a panic after the O'Leary thing happened. It's not like tons of guys were lining up to take that job, either. Bob Davie wrecked that program and the thought at the time was that Willingham, who was able to recruit to Stanford with its strict academic guidelines could do the same at Notre Dame (which he didn't).


Excellent point.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3936
Joined: 8 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sharptongued1 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:56 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
sharptongued1 wrote:
He was the guy they hired in a panic after the O'Leary thing happened. It's not like tons of guys were lining up to take that job, either. Bob Davie wrecked that program and the thought at the time was that Willingham, who was able to recruit to Stanford with its strict academic guidelines could do the same at Notre Dame (which he didn't).



There is ALWAYS a line out the door to coach at Notre Dame... It is perhaps the most covetted job in all of sport... Virtually any NFL coordinator would take the head coaching job at Notre Dame any day of the week....


Yeah well, that's what the boosters at Notre Dame thought too. Problem was, nobody wanted the job. Nobody. I really can't believe you don't remember this. It was a huge story when the best candidate that applied for the job was George O'Leary, then he quit/got fired because he lied on his resume', only to go with the other guy they interviewed, Ty Willingham.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 186
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:28 pm

I think one thing that must be acknowledged is the atmosphere of college football. Boosters, fundraisers, gladhanding, and keep that money coming in. Money is what prevents a playoff, keeps bowls, and keeps coaches thier jobs.

When Norm Chow went to the Titans, he mentioned that he was having difficulty getting head coaching interviews in the college ranks. UNIMAGINABLE. He had the best offense in the land. He was however an older asian man. Whoever the head coach is has to go golfing with old white men boosters and get those donations pouring in.

It's my personal opinion, but the "old boys club" and its cash donations are why I don't think you see almost any African American head coaches in college football.
Image
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6209
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On my Ipod Touch

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:37 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact