Young Coaches - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Young Coaches

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:35 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:I think one thing that must be acknowledged is the atmosphere of college football. Boosters, fundraisers, gladhanding, and keep that money coming in. Money is what prevents a playoff, keeps bowls, and keeps coaches thier jobs.

When Norm Chow went to the Titans, he mentioned that he was having difficulty getting head coaching interviews in the college ranks. UNIMAGINABLE. He had the best offense in the land. He was however an older asian man. Whoever the head coach is has to go golfing with old white men boosters and get those donations pouring in.

It's my personal opinion, but the "old boys club" and its cash donations are why I don't think you see almost any African American head coaches in college football.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly. Curses, I got pulled back in...must not..... :-o
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:09 pm

VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:22 pm

I think everyone knew this hiring was coming after the SMU ad USF coaches got sewn up by their current schools. Again, for me, these types of issues shouldnt be about color. The best candidate should get it with no matter. Once the 2, more qualified, white coaches were off the list, the next guy in line got it. The story brings up the fact that 62% of all college football players are black. This of course translates to pro sports where it seems there are more multi millionaire black athletes than any other race. Any institutional racsim there?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:20 pm

This talks about the NFL, but I feel this guys setiments illustrate the way I feel not just about coaching, but about all aspect of how Americans (the media) should act/write when it comes to a black "whatever he/she wants to be".
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2249548
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sharptongued1 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:47 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:

I think everyone knew this hiring was coming after the SMU ad USF coaches got sewn up by their current schools. Again, for me, these types of issues shouldnt be about color. The best candidate should get it with no matter. Once the 2, more qualified, white coaches were off the list, the next guy in line got it. The story brings up the fact that 62% of all college football players are black. This of course translates to pro sports where it seems there are more multi millionaire black athletes than any other race. Any institutional racsim there?

I have a workable theory on this. If you disagree, fine, but please don't flame me for it. The reason why I think there are so few black college coaches (coordinators or otherwise) is that while there are several (roughly 35% according to the article linked above) white players in college, even less get drafted and play in the NFL. Now, those players in college that don't have a snowballs chance in playing professionally but have a good feel for the game are approached by coaches about possibly becoming a GA, thus bringing them into the web. Sure, this happens with black kids too, but several of them move on to play on a professional level and go from there rather than starting out in the college ranks. Who knows, I could be way off my rocker on this...
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:20 pm

sharptongued1 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:

I have a workable theory on this. If you disagree, fine, but please don't flame me for it. The reason why I think there are so few black college coaches (coordinators or otherwise) is that while there are several (roughly 35% according to the article linked above) white players in college, even less get drafted and play in the NFL. Now, those players in college that don't have a snowballs chance in playing professionally but have a good feel for the game are approached by coaches about possibly becoming a GA, thus bringing them into the web. Sure, this happens with black kids too, but several of them move on to play on a professional level and go from there rather than starting out in the college ranks. Who knows, I could be way off my rocker on this...

I wouldnt flame on you wether I agreed with you or not. Just wanted to get that out of the way! Anyway, I agree with your thought. I dont know to what percentage one could place this card. But certainly your stance makes me think of guys like Major Applewhite or Mike Shula. The fact that the NFL is 62% black players certainly means that more of them are getting playing gigs where a lot of whites arent. If youre playing youre concerned about playing. If youre not playing, youre looking at other ways to be involved.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to College Football