Unfair Tie Breaker for our League!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Unfair Tie Breaker for our League!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Unfair Tie Breaker for our League!!!

Postby WesleyGator » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:48 am

Our league has two divisions. Right now I am tied for first in Division 1 with us both having 9-2 records after this week. If both of us win out the rest of the reg season(which will probably happen due to the teams we both have ahead) we will still be tied with the same record in Division 1. But who will get the first round bye for playoffs?...him...why?...because he has more Points Scored overall than me(not by much but too much for me to catch up in the last two weeks).

This is BS for two reasons...1)I beat him head to head and 2)I am 5-0 in the division and he is 3-2!!!

Now somebody explain to me how this is logical for that to be the tiebreaker?

GAAAAAHHHHH!!!! needed to vent.
WesleyGator
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cooner » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:47 am

because often the team who put up the most points in the league is the better team...
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcesFull » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:56 am

That is how we break ties. Wins and losses are generally luck based but putting a team out there that score the most points over the course of the season is where the skill comes through.
The Guru
Cutler, Schaub, Thigpen
Addai, Portis, Slaton, Rhodes, Ward
B Marshall, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, A. Bryant
Cooley, Boss
Prater
Dolphins, Vikings
AcesFull
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby WesleyGator » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:04 am

I disagree. That's not the case for the real NFL is it?

Depending on who I'm playing and who my players matchups are each week I play differently.

If I'm playing a weak team in the league I usually just play my safe bets that I know will put up decent, but not outstanding numbers...because it's safer to play those players when I know the other team can't match my "safe" players. But when I play a team I know can put up numbers like my team I tend to put in my players that can have hot games but aren't consistent...over the players that are usually "safe" plays.

For instance, this week I played the number 1 team from Division 2...I knew he had a good team so I played Samkon Gado instead of Sjax. I know Sjax is a safer bet, but I needed that extra umph to beat the other team...turns out that I didn't need Samkon to pull me through because we're both tied at 147 at the moment when I have Gado and Bubba Franks tomorrow night while he has nobody left to play.

If his team is better then why didn't he beat me in head to head play?...because it takes strategy, just like I said above. You play different kinds of players against different teams in your league.
WesleyGator
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:07 am

Most leagues break ties with points. If you don't think its fair for your divisional setup then lobby against it next year. You've got a point but in general points as tie breaker makes perfect sense.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:10 am

The time to discuss this is before the season. The rule has been there since the league started. Live with it.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WesleyGator » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:16 am

Yeah I know...this is our first year for fantasy football for all of us(including the commish) so we just left it up to the default settings for the most part cuz we really didn't know what we were doing....good thing it's just a 20 dollar league.

I'm just venting for the most part, I know it's a good way for a tie breaker, but I also know it has it's flaws as a tie breaker.

I'm looking forward to playing him in playoffs anyways...it's not like it makes that much of a difference cuz I know it's gonna come down to me and him in the semifinal playoffs. Just would have been nice to not have to worry at all that first week of playoffs.

VENT VENT VENT VENT!!!! ahhhhh...that feels better.
WesleyGator
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FatFoot » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:06 am

You're not playing in the NFL. It's FF. You know the rules when you sign up. The better scoring team should go to the playoffs... they've performed better through the year. You're not playing your team vs another team... you're comparing numbers at the end of the day. How well you've performed against your division shouldn't even matter... you don't get to put Peyton up against the Bears D and see who performs better... they aren't real football matchups. They're statistical comparisons. I think total points is the only way to go.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 am

agree generally with above.

as others have stated, you're not playing "real" football. you don't play defense against the other team. perhaps you vary your lineup depending upon who you believe is a safer play versus a high potential, but most people just go to score the highest amount of points in any given week.

quite frankly, the week-to-week win/loss format is popular because it's interesting every week and it simulates a real nfl game. but it's not the best way to judge who does best in picking talent and matchups. someone might have a terrible team but just lucks out to catch strong teams on weak games (e.g., yesterday's steven jackson, lamont jordan, and curtis martin). whereas you might score the 2nd highest point total in your league on a given week only to lose to someone who hit the jackpot on their starters. total points, however, just measures how you do independent of anybody else.

so, no, total number of points is not a BS, stupid, or illogical tiebreaker.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:03 am

portisfan24 wrote:The time to discuss this is before the season. The rule has been there since the league started. Live with it.

;-D
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk