Unfair Tie Breaker for our League!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Unfair Tie Breaker for our League!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jjigglers » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:01 pm

WesleyGator wrote:I disagree. That's not the case for the real NFL is it?

Depending on who I'm playing and who my players matchups are each week I play differently.

If I'm playing a weak team in the league I usually just play my safe bets that I know will put up decent, but not outstanding numbers...because it's safer to play those players when I know the other team can't match my "safe" players. But when I play a team I know can put up numbers like my team I tend to put in my players that can have hot games but aren't consistent...over the players that are usually "safe" plays.

For instance, this week I played the number 1 team from Division 2...I knew he had a good team so I played Samkon Gado instead of Sjax. I know Sjax is a safer bet, but I needed that extra umph to beat the other team...turns out that I didn't need Samkon to pull me through because we're both tied at 147 at the moment when I have Gado and Bubba Franks tomorrow night while he has nobody left to play.

If his team is better then why didn't he beat me in head to head play?...because it takes strategy, just like I said above. You play different kinds of players against different teams in your league.


I don't know about you, but I always just try to get the most points each week.
jjigglers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 292
Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WesleyGator » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:11 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:It's not like you are playing different players vs. different teams because of a strategy. The goal of fantasy football is to get the most possible points and to have more total points than your opponent.


It is indeed a strategy though. If my opponent is a below average team, my strategy is to play the sure bet players that I know will put up consistent numbers but who usually never have hot games. When I am playing a team I know is above average my strategy changes. Instead of playing those consistent players I will throw in a few players that have game spurts to help me overcome the opponent.

This strategy changes your total points a whole lot. If you were to just play the consistent players the whole season you would have less points, but would probably have a better record. If you played sporadic players the whole season you may have a higher points total...but the majority of those points totals may only come from 1/4 or your games, the rest of the games giving you so-so points at best. Therefore you would loose 3/4 of your games but you would have a higher points total.

Ex. (These stats are actual stats of players in our league, they are not false or created stats)

Plaxico Burress could argueably be called a sporadic player...his scores are as follows in our league...
W1 - 20
W2 - 12
W3 - 16
W4 - 52
W5 - bye
W6 - 9
W7 - 22
W8 - 8
W9 - 14
W10- 10
W11- 31
This all adds up to 163 points, putting him in 7th place in our league for highest amount of total points by a WR. Notice though, that he has 4 weeks of 12 or lower points.

Now lets look at a more consistent player, Deion Branch.
W1 -24
W2 -12
W3 -14
W4 -0
W5 -20
W6 -16
W7 -bye
W8 -24
W9 -16
W10-16
W11-12
This all adds up to 142, 21 points lower than that of Plaxico Burress. This puts Deion Branch at the number 16 spot for most points by a WR in our league. Notice though that he has no real breakout games, he doesn't even have a game higher than 24. Also notice that he only has 3 weeks of 12 or lower points.

If these two players were to meet head to head every week in cronological order, with the exception that Plax and Deion combine bye weeks(Plax W7 vs. Deion W5), the score would be 5-4 with 1 tie(W2). Deion Branch would come out on top with a score of 5.

This proves my theory that my strategy does win games, yet it does not get the most total points. If you are a consistent team you will have more of a chance when it comes to playoffs, whereas if you are a sporadic team you will probably be knocked off in one of the round of playoffs due to sporadic play.

Now tell me there is no strategy in my thoughts for week to week games...
WesleyGator
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 85
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:25 pm

WesleyGator wrote:Now lets look at a more consistent player, Deion Branch.

Just as an aside, who ever thought we'd be referring to Deion Branch as consistent? :-b

It's a crazy season...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6631
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 50 yard line

Postby WesleyGator » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:31 pm

Arlo wrote:
WesleyGator wrote:Now lets look at a more consistent player, Deion Branch.

Just as an aside, who ever thought we'd be referring to Deion Branch as consistent? :-b

It's a crazy season...


haha, yeah it has been...who would have thought so many injuries this season too?...really weird season. I not even need to bring up the unexpected King, samkon gado....lol.

jk about samkon, just wanted to get a rise out of people cuz there's been a lot of controversy over him as a FF player lately.
WesleyGator
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 85
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 0:45 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact