Is it finally CTaylor's job now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is it finally CTaylor's job now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is it finally CTaylor's job now?

Postby venus » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:17 am

I finally gave up on Jamal and dropped him, I picked up Chester Taylor instead and am wondering from Raven's fans, if Billich will finally begin to give the majority of carries to his only productive back?

10 team league
7-4
QB's Palmer, Plummer
RB's SA, Dillon, CTaylor, R. Williams, Ronnie Brown
WR's DJax, Kennison, Driver,Housh, Lelie, Antonio Bryant
TE's Gonzo
K's Scobee
D Da Bears
venus
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:41 am

Looks to be his job. Lead the team in carries and yardage.

Jamal ypc just got worse.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SportsLitter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:14 am

As the Ravens begin to prepare for the future, running back Jamal Lewis can see where the road is headed. He's one of those veterans on the outside looking in, standing in line with other possible candidates like right offensive tackle Orlando Brown, left guard Edwin Mulitalo, quarterback Anthony Wright and fullbacks Ovie Mughelli and Alan Ricard.

Lewis said he received news early last week that he was going to split more time with Chester Taylor. When Taylor finished with 19 carries for 59 yards yesterday in the Ravens' 16-13, overtime win against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Lewis had only 13 carries for 28 yards, Lewis wasn't surprised, but still disappointed.

"I'm not a fool," Lewis said minutes after the game.

Neither are the Ravens.

Inserting Taylor over Lewis will have some impact on the Ravens' offense for the remainder of the season, but it won't be significant, because there need to be other changes. But the Ravens needed to make this move. Actually, they had to make this move.

They need to find out if Taylor can be an every-down back. They need to know if Taylor can survive games where he carries the ball 25 to 30 times against a team such as Pittsburgh and then has to pull the same load against a team like Cincinnati the next week.

Thus far, we know Taylor, in his fourth season, is productive and has potential. He has good hands as a pass catcher, and always seems to get positive yards because of a good body lean. He has the ability to make tacklers miss, but the jury is out on whether his 213-pound body can take the pounding, not only game after game, but also quarter after quarter.

Fans and media have been clamoring for Taylor for weeks, but coach Brian Billick has been reluctant to play him until he relented yesterday. Lewis started the game, but hit the bench by the second quarter.

With the playoffs out of the picture, it's out with the old, in with the new.

"I've never ever had to forgo a role," said Lewis. "If they want me to carry the ball 14 or 15 times a game, if that's the role they give me, that's all I got. It's a fight I can't win. All I can do is control my own destiny. Everything happens for a reason."

Lewis had his chances. Certainly, Billick gave him every opportunity to succeed, starting him the first nine games. He probably stuck with him too long. But Lewis hasn't returned to the form he showed in 2003, when he rushed for 2,066 yards on 387 carries. He stutter-steps too much. He isn't decisive. In the past, he made holes when there weren't any. Now, with this poor offensive line, he's done just about as soon as he's getting the handoff.

Taylor has a bit more spark. He's finding daylight on those cutback runs that Lewis can't see. He's carrying two or three tacklers on his back for yards after first contact much like Lewis used to do. There are a couple of reasons why the old Lewis hasn't resurfaced, but he has acknowledged he isn't playing with the same intensity because the Ravens reneged on a new contract extension they had promised before the season started.

Those words made him Public Enemy No. 1 among a lot of Ravens fans. When Lewis re-entered the game yesterday after his second-quarter fumble, he was booed.

"I tried to slide off the hole twice and got hit," said Lewis. "Those things happen. I gave them [the coaches] ammunition to pull me out and hold me back. It was my fault, but there was nothing I could do about it. I came into the game and thought I was running good at the beginning. But all along, I knew what was going to happen to me, and I see what is going to happen."

"There are no playoff hopes, so we have moved into the evaluation process," Lewis said.

It's sad, but just another day of business in the NFL. Since coming to the Ravens as the No. 1 draft pick in 2000, Lewis and middle linebacker Ray Lewis symbolized the Ravens. Both were tough and intense competitors. Teammates on both sides of the ball fueled off hits by the Lewises. There was nothing more devastating, more demoralizing than Jamal Lewis turning the corner at full tilt and putting fear into the eyes of a defensive back.

The Ravens were a power-I formation offense with a speedy, power back. Times, though, have changed. True West Coast offenses often don't use fullbacks, which was a point of contention early in the season. With Jim Fassel aboard as the new offensive coordinator, the Ravens wanted to use H-backs instead of fullbacks. The current Ravens offense is actually geared more toward Taylor.

The signs are here now that Lewis won't return next season. Both he and Taylor are free agents, and the Ravens will pay only one. It's going to be hard to evaluate both in the remaining time, especially with this offense.

The Ravens can't score. They scored one touchdown in the second quarter yesterday, and it was like a national holiday. They should close schools, banks and post offices. There should be a parade in downtown Baltimore. But the Ravens have a real decision to make.

Is it Taylor or is it Lewis?

The only way they can find out is to keep playing Taylor more in the final six games.
Sports Highlight Videos - Now Featuring [url=http://www.mvpflix.com/2006/09/reggie-bush-highlight-video/]Reggie Bush[/url]
[url=http://www.mvpflix.com]http://www.mvpflix.com[/url]
SportsLitter
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:56 pm

nice post/find.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:55 pm

I said some time ago that Chester Taylor was one of the best kept secrets at RB in the NFL. I wish that he had gotten drafted by a team that needed a back. He got stuck in a similar situation that Jordan did. The only thing Jamal does better than him is he has power. Taylor is faster, more agile, and a better pass catcher.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:46 pm

Chestor Taylor is the main reason you should have avoided Jamal Lewis in the first round this year.

That said, the answer is NO. Chestor Taylor will never take over in Baltimore as long as Jamal Lewis is on the roster and healthy enough to play.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:15 pm

I read something in the local paper here that Chester is going to get an increasing amount of the carries, possibly more than Lewis, and if nothing else it should be 50-50.

Yes, I would drop Jamal Lewis, but I think there might be better options to pick up and than Chester Taylor. Anything short of Ladamian Tomlinson won't be able to run well behind that line for long.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby sharptongued1 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Azrael wrote:I said some time ago that Chester Taylor was one of the best kept secrets at RB in the NFL. I wish that he had gotten drafted by a team that needed a back. He got stuck in a similar situation that Jordan did. The only thing Jamal does better than him is he has power. Taylor is faster, more agile, and a better pass catcher.

With Lewis gimped up, yes. With Lewis healthy, not a chance.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:35 am

Jamal Lewis is a good running back. He ran for 2000 yards not 3 years ago. I think this new offense isnt suited to him, and I think missing training camp hurt him a lot. If he doesnt sign with the Ravens I hope he can land somewhere with at least a shot at starting.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:43 am

Kensat30 wrote:Chestor Taylor is the main reason you should have avoided Jamal Lewis in the first round this year.

That said, the answer is NO. Chestor Taylor will never take over in Baltimore as long as Jamal Lewis is on the roster and healthy enough to play.

Gotta disagree with you. Lewis will be a FA and he's made no effort to hide his displeasure about not already being re-signed. While Taylor may not "start", he's gonna get the bulk of the touches the rest of the way. (the Ratbirds are OUT of it, and they have to start looking to the off-season decisions they're gonna have to make.)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk