Trading with teams that are eliminated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading with teams that are eliminated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading with teams that are eliminated?

Postby FatFoot » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:14 am

My league has no trading deadline... that is to say, it was never set, so the default is after the season ends.

This week, 2 teams were officially eliminated. The best players on those teams are Tom Brady, DDavis, and Droughns. Not a huge deal.

2 more teams are on the verge... one loss, or 3 teams getting to 8 wins will knock them out.

One of those teams has Holt, Moss, Caddy, and Larry Johnson. The other has Palmer, Gates, and T Jones. The 2 teams play each other in week 13, so one HAS to be eliminated.

Is it unethical to trade with teams that are eliminated, if my league just neglected to take care of setting a trade deadline? I don't want any unfair advantage... and in fact, I clinched today... but you have to believe that someone's going to try and snag Palmer, Gates, Holt, LJ, etc. Should I be trying to get some of those guys? Should I be lobbying the league to shut trading down, for eliminated teams?

I'm in good shape for the playoffs, but the team that has LT also has Peyton and Chad Johnson. If trades are allowed, he could theoretically field Peyton, Palmer, LT, LJ, CJ, Holt, Moss, Gates, etc as early as week 13. I don't see this as something one should sit back and ride out... I'd think I should either take advantage of the rules, which is lame IMO, or try to get something done. What's your take?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:38 am

Well, the problem is that the rules are already in place for this year. So, there's a pretty good chance that someone (if not you) will take advantage of it. :-o

If you ask the league what they should do and they agree to whatever, then that'd be what to do. If you go that route, trading should be suspended until a course of action is decided...that way no one tries to pull a fast one while you are deliberating what to do.

But, if you don't go that route, I might think of trying to make some trades. But, make sure they are fair trades and not ones that just give away your worst players for a top guy. If that happens, it looks way too collusionary and would upset competitive balance.

If the league is around next year, I would look to setting up some deadlines for trades and/or lockouts of eliminated teams so that this can't happen.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby N-Man » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:27 am

you really have to push for a trade deadline, either official or unofficial. it could completely screw up your league
life is like a box of chocolates. . .
N-Man
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:36 am

I was in a similar situation last year. I made an even trade with someone that was eliminated to a team that had totally different needs than me, so it heartily improved both of our teams. The league threw a fit and the trade was overturned....I thought that was stupid, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened here.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Wizzle » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:46 am

I would say you pretty much have to run with the rules from the beginning of the season. I would definetly look to improve your team through trading at this point.

Next year on the other hand, I would try to get this changed. Collusion runs more rampant as playoffs draw near.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:04 pm

If there's no deadline, and an eliminated team is trying to improve in order to move up in the standings, I see no reason why that team shouldn't be allowed to make trades just like everybody else.

Dump trades are another matter entirely, of course...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:16 pm

The commish has decided to enforce a trade deadline starting this Friday, and he said he's also going to handle veto power, since there's a good chance that this week we won't have 6 people around to veto any trade, with the holiday and everything. It's a relief, frankly.

There was one trade a few weeks ago that I think really unbalanced things, and I'm going to be very disappointed if the guy who came out on top wins the league. It wasn't collusion, but it was a stupid trade... I was worried that all of my effort this year would be a waste if that team did anything else to get ahead.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:39 pm

I think you have to trade at will. Now that there is a deadline in place you have move quickly. Once I purpose a trade I think is fair I state my case to the owner via email. Right now I'm trying to pry marvin from his cellar dewelling ass. He says he still making a run. So I offered up Rudi and Key J.

Good luck, the best FF are the ones that know the rules and how to use them to their advantage.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk