Throwing Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Throwing Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Throwing Games

Postby chadschwarze2 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:06 am

Have you guys ever tried to lose the last few games of the season to match you up against a team you think you can beat. I was thinking of doing it and was just wondering if you guys think this is unethical.
Thanks For The Awesome Sig FFGuru13
chadschwarze2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:25 am

That is lame. :-t
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:33 am

Don't do it. I think this question has been posed in about 4 threads that I've read.

You can try to rationalize it or calculate how your matchups could be better, but it's just dirty play and in the end, it probably won't give you any advantage anyway.

Think about how you would feel if someone else did it. If the shoe were on the other foot I don't think you'd be feeling the same way about it.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Throwing Games

Postby Wizzle » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:06 am

chadschwarze2 wrote:Have you guys ever tried to lose the last few games of the season to match you up against a team you think you can beat. I was thinking of doing it and was just wondering if you guys think this is unethical.

Karma is a bitch :-°
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:25 am

very quick way to become persona non grata in your league.

unless you're in a huge money league, you're playing with your friends for respect and mostly trash-talking. by pulling stunts like these, you lose your right to both.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:30 am

Wizzle wrote:
chadschwarze2 wrote:Have you guys ever tried to lose the last few games of the season to match you up against a team you think you can beat. I was thinking of doing it and was just wondering if you guys think this is unethical.

Yep. A Fat Pi***d Off One.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:59 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
Wizzle wrote:

Yep. A Fat Pi***d Off One.

with PMS, D(uring)MS, and P(ost)MS. ;-)

Yeah, throwing games is not cool. Most of the people in the league would probably not be happy with you, especially ones that are fighting for playoff positions while you may have one secured.

Besides, any team can beat any other team in any given week. Your team may tank against the team you thought you could beat, the other team could have a really lucky week, or you may find that the team you didn't want to play had a bad week in which you would have won but didn't beat the person you wanted to face.

Playing to win at all times is always best. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:07 am

I wouldn't do it...Especially in a friendly league. Too easy of a way to alienate you from other people that you may be friends with outside of FF.

Plus, I heard it might be grounds for castration. :-D

Just kidding, but I don't think it would be cool to do it.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:35 am

Agreed with the consensus.

I might understand doing this if all the playoff teams are determined and all that you'd be able to change is the playoff matchups. But if the game you'd be throwing might in any way affect another team's chance of reaching the postseason, it seems to me to be a clear no-no.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk