Attention McGahee Owners.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Attention McGahee Owners..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Attention McGahee Owners..

Postby Warpigs » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:13 am

What frame of mind are you in? Do you plan on continuing to start him and bearing the brunt of poor performance after poor performance. What worries me is that coupled with the disappearing act this past week in San Diego, he now has to face one of the stingiest run defenses in the NFL in Carolina. I know McGahee has talent and I know the offense around him is a major contributing factor to his spiral downward -- but I wonder what to expect from him the rest of the way. Is it possible that he's slowly wearing out this year since it's his first full season as the lead rusher?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DrSpackle » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:43 am

I've been wondering the same thing. He turned in back-to-back 4 point performances for me over the last two weeks. Is he getting tired? He's got a ton of carries so far, and this is the first FULL season he has played.

Anyway, I decided to bench him this week. I am starting Chester Taylor in his place. This league is PPR so Taylor has some value. I've also clinched my division and wrapped up a playoff spot, so I have the luxury of tinkering with my line-up without hurting my playoff chances.

I've tried trading McGahee, but this league is very static. Not much activity outside of FCFS WW. The few offers I recieved were people low-balling for McGahee -- Housh, McCardell, and other 2nd tier WRs.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SniperShot » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:53 am

McGahee in one of my leagues has only had 3 really bad days out of 11. Week 2, 10 and 11. 87% of CBSsportsline people are still starting him and overall I feel he is a great back who can still produce. I think Holcomb is much better for McGahee than J.P though. I think any McGahee owner would be happier to see Holcomb back.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby VaderFin » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:56 am

Going into the season I had McGahee as probably the most overrated guy going into fantasy drafts. People were taking him anywhere from 3-6 which I thought was way too high. To me, he was a early 2nd round pick. In my scoring system he is the 14th rated RB...not horrible but certainly not Top 5 pick worthy. Thankfully he isn't on any of my teams.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby drsteuss » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:17 am

I've watched the past two games of him and he isn't the problem, believe me. The passing offense is terrible. The line is cover-your-eyes awful and gets flagged for holding on the opposite side of the play more than any team in the history of everything ever.

Oh, and his coach is a moron who doesn't use him correctly.

But, given my other options, he still looks like the best bet for me.
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Warpigs » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:48 am

drsteuss wrote:I've watched the past two games of him and he isn't the problem, believe me. The passing offense is terrible. The line is cover-your-eyes awful and gets flagged for holding on the opposite side of the play more than any team in the history of everything ever.

Oh, and his coach is a moron who doesn't use him correctly.

But, given my other options, he still looks like the best bet for me.

See, to me and most fantasy owners, it doesn't really matter what the reason behind his poor statistical performances has been -- it's the bottom line. I don't see many of the factors that are contributing to McGahee's flop changing, so I'm starting to wonder just how valuable he'll be in bottom-line points the rest of the season.

His really poor weeks are 2, 10 and 11. Great. What worries me is the 10-11. Is that the start of a trend? People who win fantasy championships are the ones who are proactive in handling players who may drop off the end of the table. To me, back-to-back poor performances for a back who came back from a major surgery and has yet to play a full season as the primary ballcarrier is concerning. Considering that most defenses stack the box on McGahee, and he gets pounded over and over, I'm nervous that he may be wearing out. Now, factoring all that in, if McGahee was playing Houston this week, I'd be starting him regardless, but you also have to factor in his tough matchups, starting with Carolina this week.

Am I just being overly paranoid, or is McGahee in for more of a nosedive?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby warrick95 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:51 pm

I had him as my #4 player headed into the season.

I've been very disappointed with the Bills' offense lack of success. The QB, whoever it is, just looks lost out there and the line is not doing a very good job at all. Willis can't do it all by himself.

I really do not think an NFL player in his second season gets worn down this badly. He sat out an entire season in 2003, so he should be plenty rested if anything. What I'm guessing, is that KC put eight in the box repeatedly (I didn't watch the game, so correct me if I'm wrong), which led to the deep balls thrown to Lee Evans. They keyed in on McGahee and lost because of it. On the other hand, he didn't get his touches in the SD game because it was a flat out blowout. So, in order for McGahee to do well, he needs his defense to keep it a defensive struggle. In that case, Mularkey would not hesitate in giving him the ball in that style of game.

What's surprised me the most has been their porous defense. I think many owners, myself included, expected McGahee to get his 20+ carries a game in close, defensive battles.

Looking down the schedule, I think he'll be fine in the near future. Carolina is good but not great, Miami matches up fine, NE matches up fine, Denver is worrying, and so's Cincy. Weeks 15/16 are the playoffs for most, so I'm not sure what to expect. It's very possible that the Bills will get blown out in both, meaning enter Shaud Williams.

The thing with me, is that I'm pretty loaded at RB in the leagues I have McGahee in. I have JJ, Chris Brown, and Fred Taylor in one. Barring injury (knock on wood, because these are three of the most injury-prone in the league), Brown and Taylor have some of the softest matchups in the league over 15-16. I have LaMont Jordan, Cadillac, and Kevin Jones (christ) in another that starts two RB without a flex. I guess that's why I haven't really worried about it...
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:26 pm

I know what Warpigs is saying about the trend over the past two weeks. I think for it to be considered a slump is for it to hit 3 weeks. So see what he does this week.

I am a McGahee owner, and I expected him to be very good this year. And except for the past few weeks, he has been solid. I am starting him this week. And I don't expect a massive game, but I would be suprised to see him find the endzone. If he doesn't break 5 points again this week I may consider benching him depending on the match up he has. My advice to McGahee owner is to ride it out for at least one more week, and see what he does.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby foulballstrike3 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:03 pm

Alright, first of all, none of this is his fault. Secondly, this isn't going to get any easier for him. He and Julius Jones were my first two picks and luckily I have Larry Johnson and Mike Anderson. His playoff opponents are Denver and Cincy. He has some decent matchups in week 13 and 14 vs. Miami (if you remember, he got off to a good start w/ a TD then did nothing including a fumble) and NE. Unfortunately, his other easy matchup is against NYJ in week 17, yippee!!!

He's my first rounder and I won't be using him in the playoffs, that's pretty bad.
foulballstrike3
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby foulballstrike3 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:04 pm

Alright, first of all, none of this is his fault. Secondly, this isn't going to get any easier for him. He and Julius Jones were my first two picks and luckily I have Larry Johnson and Mike Anderson. His playoff opponents are Denver and Cincy. He has some decent matchups in week 13 and 14 vs. Miami (if you remember, he got off to a good start w/ a TD then did nothing including a fumble) and NE. Unfortunately, his other easy matchup is against NYJ in week 17, yippee!!!

He's my first rounder and I won't be using him in the playoffs, that's pretty bad.
foulballstrike3
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk