Detroit and Thanksgiving Day - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Detroit and Thanksgiving Day

Moderator: Football Moderators

Detroit and Thanksgiving Day

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:35 pm

I dont know if there is a thread on this already but the question was posed last night on JT the Brick's radio show (who I despise by the way) asking if Detroit should still have the Thanksgiving Day game every yr? JT believed that Detroit should be stripped of this game and the game should consist of two teams in contention. He believes that since the Lions are so awful in recent yrs, why should they continue to have the game? What is everyones thoughts on this? Should they continue to have the game because it is tradition? Any other reasoning besides that? If you are a Detroit fan, do you really care about this game? Is giving the game to the Lions every yr an advantage?

Personally, I think that Thanksgiving Day should consist of three matchups : Cowboys, Lions and another game of two top contending teams (for this yr say the Colts vs Pitt). The NFL could have the games at 1, 4, and 8. Who wouldnt want to watch 3 games on turkey day? That way, Detroit and Dallas gets to keep their traditions and the fans get to watch a marquee matchup.

Any thoughts on this?
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:41 pm

I personally like how they stick to the whole tradition thing. Its nice to have football on during Thanksgiving but i'm usually distracted sometimes between food, family, and friends during the whole day. So, in turn, a top marque matchup would be a bad decision for Turkey day b/c i'm sure the majority of American is the same as me. I personally, like the big matchups to be Sun or Mon b/c those days are devoted to the NFL and drinking... nothing else.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:46 pm

In regards to the amount of games: I think they limit it two 2 so as not to take away from Sunday and to a lesser extect, not to interfere as much with college games. (They say they dont play on Saturday's for this reason, anyway.)

As far as who should play, the NFL isnt like it used to be which I think can pretty much be attributed to free agency. Tradition and pagentry has been lost on the NFL due to attitudes of todays society and the multi-million dollar players. How big of a deal are the Bears v Packers or Vikings v Packers anymore, outside of maybe those regions? Since traditin is the only reason these 2 teams always play, which if you believe me, is a dead attitude in the NFL, then it should be switched up every year. Ultimately, I dont care, as I dont have a favorite NFL team. I just want to see football.
Last edited by HskrPwr13 on Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Vixtor » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:48 pm

I'm a Lions season ticket holder and I love it. I wouldn't be terribly upset if they stripped it away but I certainly prefer to keep with the tradition. No problem with adding a third game either but do teams really want to play on Thanksgiving? I know the Lions and Cowboys get to play at home but it's got to be tough on any road team having to travel on four day rest and gone for a major holiday. That's probably the reason the Lions historically play well any given season.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby AcesFull » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:14 pm

With the parity in the NFL scheduling two contending teams may not be any better of a solution. Just look at soem of the monday night games they end up with becaues of this. Thanksgiving is an american holiday so Dallas being "americas team" probably should play every year. Detroit on the other hand doesn't really strike me as a team with a national following (though I am an Atl fan and it is awesome that they get some love this year). There has to be another team that could pull better ratings. I personally would think the country would rather have GB thanksgiving although it is a little late now.
The Guru
Cutler, Schaub, Thigpen
Addai, Portis, Slaton, Rhodes, Ward
B Marshall, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, A. Bryant
Cooley, Boss
Prater
Dolphins, Vikings
AcesFull
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kilroy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:04 am

It's tradition. Leave it be.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Atog » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:52 am

It's been going since the 30's. I'm very dissapointed that they've stripped us of using our throwbacks (so we're wearing black tomarrow/today :-t ). I think it would be ridiculous to strip the Lions of their tradition just because they've heen bad the last 5 years.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:04 am

Atog wrote:It's been going since the 30's. I'm very dissapointed that they've stripped us of using our throwbacks (so we're wearing black tomarrow/today :-t ). I think it would be ridiculous to strip the Lions of their tradition just because they've heen bad the last 15 years.

Fixed that for ya ;-D
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Arlo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:32 am

A bit of tradition in the NFL is good. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:52 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:It's tradition. Leave it be.

I agree. As long as it doesn't bother the Lions, it's a nice tradition.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk