Mariucci fired? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mariucci fired?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:21 am

Yeah - nothing is finalized yet. They have not made any official announcement.

As for Jauron - Im at the point now where anybody but Mooch seems like a really good idea.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:14 pm

No firing today - at least there are no scheduled press conferences for today.

Stay tuned...
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:26 pm

Classic Lions. ;-D They can't even fire a guy the right way.

Sounds almost as if they can't find someone else to take over this lame team for the rest of the season. And I couldn't blame any coach worht his wistle for not wanting to take this team over right now. It would take at least a whole off-season to detox them from Mariucci's WCO.

What I would like to know is how they can possibly think that Mariucci could finish out schedule. Alot of players have already quit on him and those who were on the fence can see the writing on the wall. Arrgh! What a mess this team is: Stupid ownership, simpleminded GM, and a lame-duck, moronic head coach.

Good times ;-D :~(

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Yeah - nothing is finalized yet. They have not made any official announcement.

As for Jauron - Im at the point now where anybody but Mooch seems like a really good idea.

Speaking as a Bears fan who suffered through the Jauron era, there wouldn't be any net improvement from Mooch. Maybe he'd be a stopgap guy until next season but if he's the coach next year the Lions are just shooting themselves in the foot again.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby marksy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:18 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Yeah - nothing is finalized yet. They have not made any official announcement.

Speaking as a Bears fan who suffered through the Jauron era, there wouldn't be any net improvement from Mooch. Maybe he'd be a stopgap guy until next season but if he's the coach next year the Lions are just shooting themselves in the foot again.

You're probably right, but if I recall Jauron's days in Chi-town, the knock was on his conservative offense. Conservative to me means running the ball. That means more than 12 carries per week total. And that likely translates to more than 4 for Jones. Right now, I'll take that.............
marksy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:53 pm

Is Mariucci really the problem? There is only so much he could do with the talent he was given. The real problem? Matt Millen. When you have Harrington, Jones and Rogers in ur lineup, u have problems. Sadly, Mariucci is the scapegoat, as Dick Jauron is not exactly the savior.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Atog » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:56 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Is Mariucci really the problem? There is only so much he could do with the talent he was given. The real problem? Matt Millen. When you have Harrington, Jones and Rogers in ur lineup, u have problems. Sadly, Mariucci is the scapegoat, as Dick Jauron is not exactly the savior.

Sure, Millen and the Fords are the root of the problem, but throwing Mooch out would be a huge improvement.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:58 pm

Atog wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Is Mariucci really the problem? There is only so much he could do with the talent he was given. The real problem? Matt Millen. When you have Harrington, Jones and Rogers in ur lineup, u have problems. Sadly, Mariucci is the scapegoat, as Dick Jauron is not exactly the savior.

Sure, Millen and the Fords are the root of the problem, but throwing Mooch out would be a huge improvement.

Until they fire Millen, I dont see this organization having any kind of bright future. When Mariucci is fired, does it magically make Harrington or Jones better? Why cheer for a firing that as u say, isnt the root of the problem? How is it an improvement?
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Atog » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:06 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
Atog wrote:

Until they fire Millen, I dont see this organization having any kind of bright future. When Mariucci is fired, does it magically make Harrington or Jones better? Why cheer for a firing that as u say, isnt the root of the problem? How is it an improvement?

I actually do think that Jones and Joey will do better without Mooch. Detroit has had absolutely no dicipline, with offsides galore in the defense side and that one Garcia throw (reciever cut back on his route, Jeff bombed it, INT.) If our next coach is less player-friendly than Mooch, I'd expect immediate improvement.
As for Jones, I think a new coach giving him more than 4 CPG might improve his numbers. RBBC is nice to have, but you can't be splitting carries 33/33/33 when one of your backs is a stud.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:40 am

marksy wrote:
You're probably right, but if I recall Jauron's days in Chi-town, the knock was on his conservative offense. Conservative to me means running the ball. That means more than 12 carries per week total. And that likely translates to more than 4 for Jones. Right now, I'll take that.............

You make a good point, but I don't remember Jauron being conservative in a "three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust" way, I remember really odd play-calling, like wide receiver screens on 3rd and 10. Some of it was a function of his offensive coordinators, who were also conservative to an extreme.

It seems to me DET has the ingredients for a nice balanced offense at the skill positions with the exception of QB. Ideally you'd want a coach who would utilize all your best weapons, which Mariucci doesn't seem to do. Adding to the problem is the poor O-line and very shaky QB's.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk