Mariucci fired? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mariucci fired?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ljthockey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:20 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Is Mariucci really the problem? There is only so much he could do with the talent he was given. The real problem? Matt Millen. When you have Harrington, Jones and Rogers in ur lineup, u have problems. Sadly, Mariucci is the scapegoat, as Dick Jauron is not exactly the savior.

Correct me if im wrong anybody because by no means am I a Lions fan so I dont know to much on them.

I dont see how you can blame players for Mooch's terrible coaching. He had plenty of talented players. 3 first round wide recievers, a good runningback in Jones ( i dont see how your calling him bad he had a few bad games but its hard to work with what he's had this season in terms of carries and this is only his second year) A solid defense and a good tight end.

Now I dont know how good there offensive line is and he has had QB problems other than that I think Mooch had plenty of talent he just could not make the right play calls or coach his draft picks well. I respectfully disagree and say keep Millen dump Mariucci
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:36 am

ljthockey wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Is Mariucci really the problem? There is only so much he could do with the talent he was given. The real problem? Matt Millen. When you have Harrington, Jones and Rogers in ur lineup, u have problems. Sadly, Mariucci is the scapegoat, as Dick Jauron is not exactly the savior.

Correct me if im wrong anybody because by no means am I a Lions fan so I dont know to much on them.

I dont see how you can blame players for Mooch's terrible coaching. He had plenty of talented players. 3 first round wide recievers, a good runningback in Jones ( i dont see how your calling him bad he had a few bad games but its hard to work with what he's had this season in terms of carries and this is only his second year) A solid defense and a good tight end.

Now I dont know how good there offensive line is and he has had QB problems other than that I think Mooch had plenty of talent he just could not make the right play calls or coach his draft picks well. I respectfully disagree and say keep Millen dump Mariucci

Keep Millen? I dont know how that could possibly be justified. What has he done right for this franchise? Draft Joey? Charles Rogers? Who knows with Mike Williams....

Charles Rogers - suspended for four games along with several injuries that have caused him to miss a significant amount of 3 seasons - not sure he is really providing the talent on the field for Mariucci

Mike Williams - what has he done this yr? Roy is the only solid WR the Lions have.

Jones has had a few bad games? Try a bad season. You can give Jones all the carries u want, doesnt mean he will produce more.

As well, I didnt criticize their defense. They seem to be a solid group that is overworked due to the lack of talent and execution on the offensive side.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:56 am

Goatwhacker wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Yeah - nothing is finalized yet. They have not made any official announcement.

As for Jauron - Im at the point now where anybody but Mooch seems like a really good idea.

Speaking as a Bears fan who suffered through the Jauron era, there wouldn't be any net improvement from Mooch. Maybe he'd be a stopgap guy until next season but if he's the coach next year the Lions are just shooting themselves in the foot again.

Wasn't Jauron the Coach in CHI a few years back when CHI went 13-3? "Conservative" doesn't necessarily mean "bad". (and I'm a Browns fan since before "Martyball", so I should know.) I'm not sayin' he's the answer, but you could do a helluva lot worse in the interim than Jauron.

As to Mooch, there have been rumors flyin here (PHX) for the past 3 or 4 weeks that he's interested in goin back to the College Ranks and that ASU is interested. (Mooch has had success in the Puss-10 Before.)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:46 am

Some laughable play calling from Mooch and his henchmen Thursday:
INT with 5 seconds left in the half - trailing 17 - 0
Dump pass to kevin Jones - result 12 yards, no points an nowhere near the Endzone
(happy to go into the locker room knowing that they completed a pass I guess)

4th and 2, with 1:18 left in the third - trailing 27-0
Punt - of course.

4th and 1 on ATL 24 yard line
J.Garcia pass incomplete to C.Schlesinger
Ahhh. A pass. To steal a quote from TMQ - "there's a reason why they're called obvious running situation's. That's because they're the best play to call." I'm just suprised they didn't go for a FG :-°
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Halcyon » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:12 am

This just confirms what we all already knew--when the Fantasy Football Cafe speaks, the NFL listens. ;-)
Halcyon Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:46 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
Wasn't Jauron the Coach in CHI a few years back when CHI went 13-3? "

Look at his other four seasons, man. I should probably just shut up and let the Lions pick Jauron though, the Lions fans can learn the hard way like I did.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:41 pm

I don't think Mariucci's coaching is entirely to blame here. My knowledge of the Lions' GM situation is limited, but whoever pulled the trigger on the draft picks is mostly to blame. Harrington and Charles Rogers are complete busts, and Kevin Jones has taken a huge step backwards as well. Roy Williams looks promising I guess.

It's hard to compete in this league when your first round picks are busts.

Having said that... I hope the interim head coach will play Kevin Jones more than Bryson. I don't know what Mariucci's fascination with Bryson is, but the Lions rarely run the ball, and when they do, it's always Bryson.

I hope the interim coach feeds KJ about 35 times a game.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:17 pm

bagobonez wrote:I don't think Mariucci's coaching is entirely to blame here. My knowledge of the Lions' GM situation is limited, but whoever pulled the trigger on the draft picks is mostly to blame. Harrington and Charles Rogers are complete busts, and Kevin Jones has taken a huge step backwards as well. Roy Williams looks promising I guess.

I've beaten up on Harrington as much as anybody, but watching him Thursday the guy is getting no help at all. With a decent line and receivers who can hold on to the ball he could be an OK QB. What's happening now is Joey is a QB with OK but not great skills that is being asked to be Fran Tarkenton.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

this just in

Postby bagobonez » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:38 pm

Steve Mariucci status as the Lions' head coach appears intact after it was reported he may lose his job the day after an embarrassing Thanksgiving Day loss.

Both the Detroit News and Detroit Free-Press reported that Mariucci's job was in serious jeopardy after the humiliating 27-7 loss to the Falcons on Thursday, and the News cites sources close to the franchise saying that Mariucci's job status was under review by team president Matt Millen and owner William Clay Ford.

On Friday, however, Mariucci brushed off widespread reports that he could lose his job with the Lions, and continued in what he said was "business as usual."

The Detroit News reported Friday that Mariucci and Millen met in what was called a routine discussion of the previous game.

"We talked about the game like we always talk about the game," Mariucci said. "That's what we did."

Asked if he wanted to remain as head coach of the Lions, Mariucci replied: "Of course I do. I want to. I plan on it."

Mariucci was a lot less upbeat following Thursday's loss to the Falcons.

"There is a multitude of things that a head coach is responsible for," Mariucci said after the loss. "From that standpoint, I take responsibility because I am the head coach and I should."

When asked if he thought he could turn things around, Mariucci said, "Yes, I do."

But the mood was definitely grim after Thursday's loss, clearly the lowest point of a season that started with high expectations.

"He was really depressed after the game," Detroit guard Damien Woody told The News about Mariucci. "I can understand why he would be."

Entering his third season in Detroit, armed with talent at the skill positions and a quarterback in his fourth season, big things were expected from Mariucci and the Lions, but the team has lost four of five games after sharing the division lead in the NFC North at 3-3 through six games.

Since arriving in Detroit in 2003, Mariucci has won just 15 games. Recognized as an offensive guru, Mariucci's offense stumbled to last place in 2003, 24th overall in 2004, and is currently near the bottom again.

If Mariucci is fired, it is believed that defensive coordinator Dick Jauron, a former head coach with the Bears, will take over.

Mariucci has two more seasons left on a five-year, $25-million contract signed when he was hired in 2003.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:52 pm

well.....maybe the new coach will give KJ the ball more than 4 times a game :-?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk