Mariucci fired? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Mariucci fired?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:31 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Is Mariucci really the problem? There is only so much he could do with the talent he was given. The real problem? Matt Millen. When you have Harrington, Jones and Rogers in ur lineup, u have problems. Sadly, Mariucci is the scapegoat, as Dick Jauron is not exactly the savior.


;-)

You are pretty far off here dude. Millen has had his problems and poor decisions of course, but he's also done some very good things for this team as well. Rogers is a bust because of injury and head issues, not talent. I think you will find this is the case for the majority of his mistakes. Also - look past the 1st rd picks to make your judgements. Millen also draft Sean Rogers, Bailey, Cody, KJones, Roy Williams, and thats just off the top of my head. What about the FA signings? Some were terrible (Bryant, DeMulling), while some are excellent (Bly, Wilkinson, Holmes, Kennedy).

Marriucci is a joke of a coach. Watch a Lions game sometime.

For those of you saying KJones is a bust - clearly you are coming from a fantasy standpoint. In reality he is the best player on this offense bar none. It isnt his fault that the COACH isnt giving him the ball. It isnt his fault the OLine cannot runblock to save their lives, and it isnt his fault that the COACH has an offensive system that can be stopped with 8 in the box on every play. When you dont ever pass the ball deep, why cover it if you are the defense - just stack the LOS on every play. Thats what the Lions see every week.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby marksy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:09 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Is Mariucci really the problem? There is only so much he could do with the talent he was given. The real problem? Matt Millen. When you have Harrington, Jones and Rogers in ur lineup, u have problems. Sadly, Mariucci is the scapegoat, as Dick Jauron is not exactly the savior.


;-)

You are pretty far off here dude. Millen has had his problems and poor decisions of course, but he's also done some very good things for this team as well. Rogers is a bust because of injury and head issues, not talent. I think you will find this is the case for the majority of his mistakes. Also - look past the 1st rd picks to make your judgements. Millen also draft Sean Rogers, Bailey, Cody, KJones, Roy Williams, and thats just off the top of my head. What about the FA signings? Some were terrible (Bryant, DeMulling), while some are excellent (Bly, Wilkinson, Holmes, Kennedy).

Marriucci is a joke of a coach. Watch a Lions game sometime.

For those of you saying KJones is a bust - clearly you are coming from a fantasy standpoint. In reality he is the best player on this offense bar none. It isnt his fault that the COACH isnt giving him the ball. It isnt his fault the OLine cannot runblock to save their lives, and it isnt his fault that the COACH has an offensive system that can be stopped with 8 in the box on every play. When you dont ever pass the ball deep, why cover it if you are the defense - just stack the LOS on every play. Thats what the Lions see every week.



;-D ;-D ;-D

Threee thumbs up for me! Well said.
marksy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 241
Joined: 25 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Canada

Postby bklik » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:21 am

jayday wrote:well.....maybe the new coach will give KJ the ball more than 4 times a game :-?


That sums it up for me. Since when does RBBC mean give your potential stud RB less carries that Bryson and Pinner? Lions better work on that o-line this draft and offseason or were gunna be watching a repeat next season. Joey has been bad and doesnt go downfield enough, but after watching the team this year, their o-line is definitly to blame for most of it.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1147
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: 3 Blocks from the Big House

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 am

bklik wrote:
jayday wrote:well.....maybe the new coach will give KJ the ball more than 4 times a game :-?


That sums it up for me. Since when does RBBC mean give your potential stud RB less carries that Bryson and Pinner? Lions better work on that o-line this draft and offseason or were gunna be watching a repeat next season. Joey has been bad and doesnt go downfield enough, but after watching the team this year, their o-line is definitly to blame for most of it.


Id argue that a whole lot of that is because of Mariucci and his offensive system. Yes Joey has a lot of blame for some really poor decisions, but a lot of it still goes back to Mooch. When its 3rd and 8 why is the call coming in for the primary reciever to run a 5 yd route, or why call a delayed run to Bryson? I mean, these are REGULAR calls that Lions fans have witnessed all yr long, and by regular, I mean more often than not in these situations it will either be a draw or a short route by the primary reciever - again, more often than not.

Add to that the fact that Mooch has drilled it into Joey's head since he's been in this system to check down rather than let the play develop. The problem is the primary WR runs an 8 yd slant and he's the deepest target, so the checkdowns are running 1-3 yd out to the sideline, so Joey has to make a long throw to go 3 yds. Its maddening to witness what Mooch calls an offense. Watch a Lions game sometime and you may understand.

Oh yeah - Mooch has held closed practices all yr because he's afraid other teams may send scouts to gameplan against the Lions. Is that the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard or what?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bklik » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:49 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
bklik wrote:
jayday wrote:well.....maybe the new coach will give KJ the ball more than 4 times a game :-?


That sums it up for me. Since when does RBBC mean give your potential stud RB less carries that Bryson and Pinner? Lions better work on that o-line this draft and offseason or were gunna be watching a repeat next season. Joey has been bad and doesnt go downfield enough, but after watching the team this year, their o-line is definitly to blame for most of it.


Id argue that a whole lot of that is because of Mariucci and his offensive system. Yes Joey has a lot of blame for some really poor decisions, but a lot of it still goes back to Mooch. When its 3rd and 8 why is the call coming in for the primary reciever to run a 5 yd route, or why call a delayed run to Bryson? I mean, these are REGULAR calls that Lions fans have witnessed all yr long, and by regular, I mean more often than not in these situations it will either be a draw or a short route by the primary reciever - again, more often than not.

Add to that the fact that Mooch has drilled it into Joey's head since he's been in this system to check down rather than let the play develop. The problem is the primary WR runs an 8 yd slant and he's the deepest target, so the checkdowns are running 1-3 yd out to the sideline, so Joey has to make a long throw to go 3 yds. Its maddening to witness what Mooch calls an offense. Watch a Lions game sometime and you may understand.

Oh yeah - Mooch has held closed practices all yr because he's afraid other teams may send scouts to gameplan against the Lions. Is that the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard or what?


Exactly. Its either a draw or a dump off to the RB. How easy is it for the LBs to chill in the middle and bust the play open.

Count the number of times joey throws the ball deep over the middle throughout a game. Its usually about 2. Is Mooches WCOffense not comprised of a deep game? Comeon... pathetic. I could be the defensive coordinator v. the lions and bust their offense.

I thought Flint was 4th most dangerous?? 8-o
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1147
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: 3 Blocks from the Big House

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:08 pm

bklik wrote:Count the number of times joey throws the ball deep over the middle throughout a game. Its usually about 2. Is Mooches WCOffense not comprised of a deep game? Comeon... pathetic. I could be the defensive coordinator v. the lions and bust their offense.

I thought Flint was 4th most dangerous?? 8-o


Actually I did count. It was after the 7th game, before Joey was benched. In 7 games, they had thrown the ball over 30 yds 9 times - thats throws, not receptions. That means they challenged the opposing secondary deep just barely over 1 time per game.

The last 3 games they have thrown deep more often, so the offense has opened up a bit, but then again, why did they run the ball only 12 times against one of the worst rush Ds in the NFL on Turkeyday? Gotta ask Mooch about that one - and dont tell me the game was out of reach - they were still in it up to halftime.

Poor schemes on top of poor playcalling after poor planning = Mariucci.

As for Flint, we are quite proud of our new ranking - I believe the report was from just a month or so ago - it was based on per capita. Oh yeah - you aint seen nothin yet - just wait until Delphi closes its doors for good and see what happens to the crime rate. :-o
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby danleroi22 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:30 pm

Well... it's confirmed, he's gone.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4846
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: SO CLOSE to "da hall" (Cambridge, MA)

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:12 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact