Minn. Moe vs Onterio, who plays more from here out - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Minn. Moe vs Onterio, who plays more from here out

Moderator: Football Moderators

Minn. Moe vs Onterio, who plays more from here out

Postby Duce » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:26 pm

Who will get most of the playing time in Minnesota. Onterio looked really good last week and Im thinking of picking him up. What do ya think
Duce

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Minn. Moe vs Onterio, who plays more from here out

Postby kid a » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:44 pm

Duce wrote:Who will get most of the playing time in Minnesota. Onterio looked really good last week and Im thinking of picking him up. What do ya think

Moe is still the starter and will see the bulk of the carries at least one more week. But I've been saying Onterrio will finish the season leading the Vikings in all rushing categories since July, and I still stand by it. He's just too good to fail!!

Plus Moe is a bum who's had many opportunities to win the job, and could never do it until injuries occurred.
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mack-avelli » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:19 am

Depends if Smith can learn to block. Moe is awsome at blocking, and thats why he's starting. Smith is a much better runner.
mack-avelli

Re: Minn. Moe vs Onterio, who plays more from here out

Postby PuntinFool » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:21 am

kid a wrote:Moe is still the starter and will see the bulk of the carries at least one more week. But I've been saying Onterrio will finish the season leading the Vikings in all rushing categories since July, and I still stand by it. He's just too good to fail!!

Do you still believe this even with Bennett returning? 3 guys, 2 with experience, one's a rookie who runs well. I dunno... Moe's going to have to stink it up soon for Onterrio to be worth anything. Smith is on the wire in my league but I'll wait until he produces before I add him to the bench.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ben_ffc » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:48 am

as much as i'd love to see onterrio blow it up...moe will hold down the job until bennett gets back, at which point bennett will resume his duties as the starter who gives his touchdowns to moe.

that's just the plain truth.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby S2 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:21 am

Moe is the man. After watching last weeks game, I imagine he will be the workhorse even after Bennett comes back.

Ontario will get sporadic carries to groom him, but Moe will get the majority. Bennett will likely start off slow, running backs rarely start off where they left off before the injury. Plus MN doesn't mind using multiple backs. They look like they want to wear teams down this year with their top ranked rushing game.
S2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:29 am

Bennett will likely start off slow, running backs rarely start off where they left off before the injury.

Hehe tell that to Holmes. I havent seen enough of OSmith to say anything except that he's a better RUNNER than Moe.
But Tice is a former Oline coach so its understandable why he's so in love with Moe. OSmith needs to learn to block better.
And when bennett comes back, until he gets back to probowl form theyll run that RBBC still.

Theres always a chance ofcourse that OSmith will break a couple of long ones vs Det since he is a big play threat (dunno why but he reminds me of william green). And if he blocks good too he'll get alot more carries next week.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:54 pm

Hehe tell that to Holmes.

You cant compare the injuries to Bennet and Holmes. Holmes had an offseason and pre-season games to get spot carries and get his rhythm back...Bennet is gonna come back in the middle of the year...They arent just gonna throw him back into game action. I have to agree that Bennet will come back slowly, and if the Vikings are still playing well, it may take a few weeks, if ever, that Bennet overtakes Moe. Moe has been a BEAST, running the ball well, catching balls, and has thrown some NASTY blocks...Moe has gotten noticed...No way Onterrio takes his job. He'll get some carries, but Moe will remain the starter unless he plays very bad.

Postby neyd » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:29 pm

If bennet comes back heathly, which is not a certainty. I don't see why the vikings won't go back to bennet as the primary back. Moe gets put in for 3 down and goal line situations. He also can block better than any purple monster. Smith gets to ride the pine waiting for limited carries. This team is only winning due to better defense and improved ocking with mckinnie play really well. IMO

Smith has had his chance to shine, but he hasn't been able to pickup the Blocks.
neyd
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby wizbang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:12 pm

I still thin the job is there for OS to take. Yes, Moe did well against the Bears and mildly well against the Pack. He will also likely do fairly well against the Lions who will need to double up on the receivers. That is only masking a problem for the Vikes. Despite their solid OL both Chicago and GB played the game with 7 in the box. Moe simply doesn't threaten a defense. He doesn't have the speed or the moves to break one. Teams will live with his 4-5 YPC as long as it results in stopping Moss. It almost worked for the Bears, an otherwise AWEFUL team.

After this week the schedule gets more difficult and I think that Minny will start to miss the big play threat that Bennett brought. I suspect this is when OS will get his real chance to take over. He'll have to earn it but somehow Minny MUST get teams to bring up an 8th defender at least once in a while. The other factor is that Moe Williams has a history of getting dinged up. He's a small guy and without much wiggle or speed takes a lot of hits. It will wear him down if Tice doesn't spell more carries.

Like I said things will change in Minny after Week 3 when their schedule suddenly gets a LOT harder.

Bennett would clearly be the best thing for Minny. I wonder though. He's had 2 (or 3?) ankle surgeries now and you have to wonder if this one will fix the problem and if so how much his leg muscles have lost. Personally, I wouldn't count on him playing at all this season. It's kind of like the McGahee situation. They don't want to put him on IR because it would kill his motivation but I kind of doubt that either will make much of a contribution this season. Both are too important to risk playing when they're not 100%.

For the record I'm NOT saying OS will win the job, but I think he will be given every opportunity to do so.

JMHO (Just My Humble Opinion)
wizbang

Next

Return to Football Talk