Should Kids Get The Vote? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Should Kids Get The Vote?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What Should The Voting Age Be In The United States?

Anyone - even younger than 16
No votes
No votes
43%
29%
21 + millitary less than 21
29%
Who cares? What difference does it make, anyway?
No votes

Total votes : 7

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:28 pm

By Geraldine Sealey
ABC News

Sept. 17 -- Americans may be getting used to the Terminator on the ballot. But can they handle his teenage fans in the voting booth?

Laura Finstad says yes. She has been a political activist for years. And she's finally won the right to vote in the United States.
Her accomplishment? Turning 18 last Saturday.

Finstad fumes about the law that made her wait so long and is campaigning for the voting rights of younger teenagers.

Supporters of lowering the voting age from 18, the national legal standard since the 26th Amendment was ratified 32 years ago, think the time for their issue has come.
There's movement in several states and municipalities to give younger teens the right to vote.

In Baltimore, Md., 16 and 17-year olds voted in the mayoral primary on Sept. 9.

The Cambridge, Mass., city council recently approved lowering the voting age to 17.

A Maine legislative panel in April approved extending voting rights to 17-year-olds.

Similar legislation is being considered in both Texas and California, and has been debated in Minnesota.

Youth voting rights advocates are also campaigning to lower the voting age in Florida, Hawaii, North Dakota, Alaska, and New York City.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:16 pm

im sure this isnt a popular opinion by any means...but i've always thought the voting age should be 21 (unless you serve in the military).

there's a level of maturity, comprehension, and intellect that seems to be lacking at 18...even at 21...it really doesn't develop until 23..
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:44 pm

I agree with Aww, personally I think it should be 25. Most people just arent mature or wise enough before that age to be deciding who should govern them.

The kids in the military should be able to legally drink the minute they put on a uniform, if they want to :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:36 pm

awwchrist wrote:im sure this isnt a popular opinion by any means...but i've always thought the voting age should be 21 (unless you serve in the military).

there's a level of maturity, comprehension, and intellect that seems to be lacking at 18...even at 21...it really doesn't develop until 23..

I agree... ;-D

Homeless wrote:he kids in the military should be able to legally drink the minute they put on a uniform, if they want to

are you asking for a drunk military.... :-o

When you enlist to serve for your country, you should have the right to vote for who your comanders are...but the country should not be able to "serve" them....

back to the original post....16 is too young to vote in national elections...however, 16 voting in local elections might not be that bad of an idea...It will give them a chance to see what the election process is like...similar to a tiered process....vote in more elections with age...16 in local...18 in state and 21 in national...
DieHardCubbie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwebb » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:55 am

Mature... wise...

you need to be 21 to vote and be considered mature and wise, but some kids at 21 already have like three kids of their own! No driving license required for having sex, right?
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:31 am

I remember when both the voting age, and the drinking age, were lowered to 18.
This was during Viet Nam, and the problem was that 18-year olds were being drafted and shipped to the other side of the world to kill or be killed - yet could not vote or legally drink a beer!

Personally. Now. Vote-wise.
I think 21 +millitary of any age is about right, and makes the most sense.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:40 am

I went with 21. Most kids just don't understand.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to General Talk