Coaches Who Should Be Fired - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Coaches Who Should Be Fired

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:16 pm

moochman wrote:One coach who might get fired, but I don't think deserves it, is Jeff Fisher. The Titans are once again having a bad season, worse than expected even with all the changes they're making. There have been rumblings about Fisher for years but he has always gotten his team to over-achieve. Well, they're not this season, and he might pay the price for it.

I can't be sure how much of my opinions on this are blurred by how much I would love to see him coaching for the Lions. Too strong of a personality for Millen, though. :,-(



The Titans are rebuilding and management knows it. I see almost no chance of Fisher getting fired.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby Guru13 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:31 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Herm Edwards? Can you really blame him for the fact that the Jets have no QB, no WR's and not RB to work with? That team simly has no talent.
no rb?


i like herm, but hes truggling right now, but how can you say they have no RB to work with? now, i realize that C-Mart is getting old, but you cant deny the fact that he won the rushing title last year, and if they actually had a qb, and some WR's, he would prolly have some space to run...
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:14 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Herm Edwards? Can you really blame him for the fact that the Jets have no QB, no WR's and not RB to work with? That team simly has no talent.


Yes, I can blame him for the team's lack of talent. He did nothing to address the QB situation even though he knew Chad Pennington's shoulder might not ever be the same again. Curtis Martin is still serviceable, but why did he let Lamont Jordan go? Now Jordan's tearing it up in Oakland. He traded Santana Moss to bring back Coles, which has turned out to be a terrible move. He keep letting their offensive linemen go in free agency. The run defense was solid in 2004, but horrible in 2005 because he let NT Jason Ferguson sign with Dallas. THeir cornerback situation has been on the decline for years now, and little has been done to address that.

Granted, you can't keep all the players you want, because free agency doesn't allow for it, but to answer your question, yes Herm Edwards bears most of the blame.

A more fair argument for Herm Edwards would be the injuries they've had, especially at QB. It's tough to win games with Brooks Bollinger is your starter. But hey, every team deals with injuries.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Postby dave416 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:51 am

I agree with most of the above. Add Dennis Green to the list for me as well. Although he hasn't been there long, I thought that he was a poor hire from the get go.

Good thing he has Rackers to bail him out and put a couple of W's in the win column. :-D
Image
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 871
Joined: 10 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:33 pm

bagobonez wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Herm Edwards? Can you really blame him for the fact that the Jets have no QB, no WR's and not RB to work with? That team simly has no talent.


Yes, I can blame him for the team's lack of talent. He did nothing to address the QB situation even though he knew Chad Pennington's shoulder might not ever be the same again. Curtis Martin is still serviceable, but why did he let Lamont Jordan go? Now Jordan's tearing it up in Oakland. He traded Santana Moss to bring back Coles, which has turned out to be a terrible move. He keep letting their offensive linemen go in free agency. The run defense was solid in 2004, but horrible in 2005 because he let NT Jason Ferguson sign with Dallas. THeir cornerback situation has been on the decline for years now, and little has been done to address that.

Granted, you can't keep all the players you want, because free agency doesn't allow for it, but to answer your question, yes Herm Edwards bears most of the blame.

A more fair argument for Herm Edwards would be the injuries they've had, especially at QB. It's tough to win games with Brooks Bollinger is your starter. But hey, every team deals with injuries.


Is Edwards also the General Manager? :-? The Jets were going to have to overpay Jordan to keep him there and as well they couldnt offer what he wanted most : the starting job. I doubt any backup in the NFL is getting paid what Jordan did this offseason. As well, you cant quite plan for two starting QB's to go down. Your saying to me that he should have planned for this and had a star waiting in the third QB position. Look at the third string QB's around the league and Brooks Bollinger might be in the top tier of that group. Herm had the depth at that position just had some unfortunate injuries. Of course Pennington's shoulder isnt great but he did have an entire offseason to rehabilitate it.

Perhaps I am wrong, maybe Herm is the GM of the team. But I highly doubt he was the one making those decisions (not signing Jordan, trading Moss and signing CB's). You can only do so much with Vinny/Brooks as your QB duo, an aging running back and a wide receiver corps that is no better than the Notre Dame WR's. You could put the best head coach of all-time on this Jets team and they would still be this bad. They simply have no talent and that blame goes upon the owner and the GM.
Image
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3457
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:49 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but why should Norv Turner be on the chopping block already. If I recall correctly this is his second year as the Raiders head coach. I mean, this team was decimated when he took over, and its going to take more than 1-2 seasons to turn around.

I actually think they've improved under him. This past year, they added a lot of great components. Lamont Jordan was the FA signing of the off-season. He's got great hands, and is built for going up the middle, a complete RB and worth what they're paying him. Acquiring Randy Moss and keeping Jerry Porter gives them an incredibly deep and talented WR corps. Certainly any team right now would rather have Randy Moss than Troy Williamson and Napoleon Harris. Also, they signed Burgess, who has be surperb for them. He's got like ~8 sacks.

The way I see it, last year they had nothing, this year they have their offense in place. A few key defensive signings, and Oakland can be very competitive. Or did I miss something about Norv?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Coaches Who Should Be Fired

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:40 pm

giants! wrote:With the rumors of Mariuchi being fired, I will make my list of who SHOULD be fired.

The first coach that needs to go is Mike Tice. He has not been succsessful as a coach with just one playoff victory. Right now, his team is so bad that it has a losing record while playing against teams such as detroit and green bay. More importantly, he has been a distraction for his team. He was an idiot for scalping tickets which caused huge contreversy in minnesota for the wrong reason. THe final straw was the cruise on lake minnetonka, where he did not show control over his players and did not come out strongly against the media.


if you're going to open your mouth, make sure you know what you're talking about. the ticket thing was a minor story, not a distraction, and definitely not a "huge contreversy." and come out against the media? for what? reporting that his players were behaving badly? blah.

just as some players are good "locker-room" guys and contribute in that sense without necessarily being the best on the field (e.g., orlando cabrera his one year with the red sox) i would say tice is a good "locker-room" coach. should be a head coach? no. he doesn't have the game-planning necessary for it. but he is respected and liked by his players and fans for being a straight shooter who really just wants to win (even if he doesn't know exactly how it should be done). but tice was never really a head coach, anyways; he was just the cheapest that red could find and be halfway servicable.

giants! wrote:Lastly, Brian Billick should be fired. Sure he won a super bowl, but his team finally has the weapons and they are still averaging just 11.6 points per game. Jim Fassel shuld be made head coach and let Billick be an offensive coordinater somewhere.


billick is in the top 10, if not top 5, of coaching minds in the nfl. just because he has junk of a team doesn't mean putting in a worse bozo is going to improve things.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:23 pm

Here's some quick thoughts on all of this. I see Norv getting fired because he and Davis are not working well together. I think someone like Martz would be a perfect fit in Oak as long as the Martz/Davis ego thing could work.

Martz will be gone as well but I think Vitt may just get that chance in StL depending on how this season ends up.

I don't see Mooch going anywhere just yet unless Millen is fired and mooch goes with him.

I can't stand Tice, but don't see him getting fired either if the Vikings continue to salvage some type of season.

Capers should without a doubt be gone. Not too sure who will end up here, but I could see Greg Williams getting another shot at coaching in Hou.

Edwards I see staying because it isn't his fault injuries killed him and he seems to be a good coacg and motivator.

Billick I think depends on where he stands with Boller. Baltimore will want to give up on Boller after this year but if Billick continues to lobby for him, it could cost Billick his job. If Billick does get fired, I could see him end up in Hou and possibly Fassel taking over in Baltimore.

Haslett isn't that bad of a coach, but this long being mediocre should cost him his job. Not too sure on who could end up here.

And I think Green has one year at most left before he is fired as well. Besides Larry, his picks as the GM have not gone very well at all up until this point.
Image
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 2646
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: MD

Re: Coaches Who Should Be Fired

Postby Bennett4prez » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:58 pm

Matthias wrote:
giants! wrote:With the rumors of Mariuchi being fired, I will make my list of who SHOULD be fired.

The first coach that needs to go is Mike Tice. He has not been succsessful as a coach with just one playoff victory. Right now, his team is so bad that it has a losing record while playing against teams such as detroit and green bay. More importantly, he has been a distraction for his team. He was an idiot for scalping tickets which caused huge contreversy in minnesota for the wrong reason. THe final straw was the cruise on lake minnetonka, where he did not show control over his players and did not come out strongly against the media.


if you're going to open your mouth, make sure you know what you're talking about. the ticket thing was a minor story, not a distraction, and definitely not a "huge contreversy." and come out against the media? for what? reporting that his players were behaving badly? blah.

just as some players are good "locker-room" guys and contribute in that sense without necessarily being the best on the field (e.g., orlando cabrera his one year with the red sox) i would say tice is a good "locker-room" coach. should be a head coach? no. he doesn't have the game-planning necessary for it. but he is respected and liked by his players and fans for being a straight shooter who really just wants to win (even if he doesn't know exactly how it should be done). but tice was never really a head coach, anyways; he was just the cheapest that red could find and be halfway servicable.


I have nothing to say except WTF?!?!? :-*
Image
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2078
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minnesota

Postby VaderFin » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:13 pm

After today Dom Capers should be at the top of the list.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:30 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact