Gearing for FF playoffs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gearing for FF playoffs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gearing for FF playoffs

Postby mrider » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:17 am

In less I have a major letdown I am in the playoffs so I went with a stategy let me hear what you think. With the players who have been injured this year I pick up there backups and just incase I picked up some others so my bench consists of Travis Henry, Josh McCown, Phillip Rivers.
mrider
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:50 am

Well, if you have a ton of roster space, I suppose you can keep those guys around. Still, I'm thinking there's about zero chance Rivers will be needed this year. McCown...maybe, if you are using Warner. Henry...maybe if you have Brown.

There's a fairly good chance that these guys will be a waste of space that you can substitute sleepers with. Even if these guys are needed, the chances that another team is going to want these guys is pretty low. I don't know how your waiver system works, but if these guys are FA's, I'm sure you could be able to get them if an injury does occur.

I think I would rather stash reserve players that fit these criteria:

a) Guys that could end up starting near the end of the year due to an NFL team's playoff standing. Indianapolis, Seattle, and Denver backup players might be good pickups. Examples would be Dominic Rhodes, Mack Strong (I think Maurice Morris is out for the year, but I might be wrong - I assume he'd be the backup), or even Ron Dayne (if Denver runs away with the division).

b) Sleeper players on teams that have easy matchups near the end of the year. St. Louis, Seattle, and Jacksonville probably have the easiest schedules left. So, guys like Matt Jones, Shaun McDonald (yeah, a stretch), and Jerramy Stevens (if he's not taken already) might be worth looking at.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:37 pm

I've used this tactic in the past, but it doesn't necessarily apply in all circumstances. If you have a stud and his back up wouldn't necessarily present a significant drop off, than I would pick up his handcuff. The best example that I can think of off the top of my head is Edgerrin James and Dominic Rhodes (I'm sure there are several others). In that offense, the RB is bound to produce (even if it's not Edge numbers). Even Randy Moss and Doug Gabriel (the latter played pretty well in the former's absence earlier this year). If you rely on Warner, than I think McCown can be a sensible pick up considering how much they rely on the pass and how well (fantasy-wise) McCown performed at times this season.

However, I think the drop off from Brees to Rivers would probably be significant enough not to be beneficial to your team (but that's without knowing how deep your league is). Travis Henry hasn't done all that much, but if you rely heavily on Chris Brown, then it might be worth a shot. Brown has a history of injury and it wasn't that long ago that Henry was a viable starter.

Good luck.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby silverZ » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:58 pm

Assuming seattle wins this week and clinchs the division, what do you guys think the chances are that SA and hasselbeck would be sat week 15 and 16? They play TEN and IND. Would they still be playing for homefield advantage or what?
circa 2005
silverZ
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:19 pm

Week 15 I doubt you'd have to worry about people sitting unless it got out of hand at halftime and Seattle had home field clinched.

I think that they would play the whole game in Week 16 against Indy if the Colts are still undefeated at that time. I suppose the coaching staff could be wusses and sit them because they have nothing to play for, but it'd be the chance to bust a perfect season! If I were a player, I would be lobbying big time all week to play the full game.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:25 pm

silverZ wrote:Assuming seattle wins this week and clinchs the division, what do you guys think the chances are that SA and hasselbeck would be sat week 15 and 16? They play TEN and IND. Would they still be playing for homefield advantage or what?

Overall, the NFC is still wide-open.
I think the 'Hawks will play hard for homefield.
Keep you eye out.
Once that happens - whatever week - SA will sit.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:37 pm

Look at the records in the NFC.. It's neck and neck. No one will be sitting anybody in the NFC period.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk