More Players Coming Out Early? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

More Players Coming Out Early?

Moderator: Football Moderators

More Players Coming Out Early?

Postby VaderFin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:36 am

I read this interesting article from the Miami Herald this morning. With the collective bargaining agreement coming due soon NFL owners are going to be fighting to decrease the amount of guaranteed money given to rookie players...especially those drafted in the Top 10. This would greatly effect guys who may or may not come out early like Quinn and Young. Can't say if it will make a difference or not but it is an interesting thought and one that will be brought up ALOT more after the season.

Normally I just link articles but I'm not about to make everyone sign up for the Herald so:

Notre Dame junior quarterback Brady Quinn, considered a potential high draft pick, left the door open to entering the 2006 NFL draft despite saying last week he likely will return for his senior season.

''Not unless something astronomical were to happen,'' Quinn said Saturday night after leading the Irish to a 38-31 comeback win against Stanford. ``It's something I may look at after the bowl game. But right now, I'm just worried about getting ready for the bowl game.

''It's something I'm going to have to study but I'm not thinking about right now,'' said Quinn, who said he didn't even know about the procedures he would have to follow to contact the NFL about his possible draft status.

While seemingly everyone associated with Notre Dame believes Quinn will return, there are many NFL teams that would be interested in him if he comes out.

Mark the Dolphins among those teams.

General manager Randy Mueller attended Saturday night's game with other members of the team staff. The team has studied Quinn extensively among the many quarterbacks the team will have to consider in the draft.

What could have a significant impact on Quinn and other juniors considering entering the draft is the upcoming negotiations on an extension of the collective bargaining agreement.

If and when the NFL can come to the table with the union on a new deal, one of the issues both sides will discuss is a limitation on the amount of guaranteed money rookies can receive, particularly the top 10 draft picks.

The concern among the league and the union is that the guaranteed money for players such as San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith ($24 million) and Miami running back Ronnie Brown ($20 million) has outstripped what many veterans should get and impedes the ability of older players to get more money.

''The contracts you write at the top of the draft are the worst ones that teams write these days,'' an NFL executive said last week. ``They can really come back to kill a team.''

If the league and union can work out a deal to restrict pay for top picks, those limitations likely would not take effect until the 2007 draft. That means that there could be a rush by some players, such as Quinn, to come out in 2006.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:17 pm

I'd like to think that something like this could work in favor of college ball, but its still the agents (hired or sharking) that go after these players and promise them the quick riches and present the possibility that it wont be there for them the next year due to injury or whatever. I'll be the first to admit though that I want the players to stay so that the team (my team) doesnt get screwed by players leaving early unexpectantly. Ultimately I could care less about the riches theyre "due" to receive in the NFL.
Last edited by HskrPwr13 on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:36 pm

As a Canes fan I know all about players leaving early (though we might only have 1 this year). I don't think this line of thought will effect later round picks but the studs MIGHT take this in to consideration and leave when they might not have otherwise.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:06 pm

I think this article should have focussed on Vince Young instead of Quinn... Quinn will be drafted late enough that he probably doesn't have to worry about a cap on guaranteed money... That should really only effect top-5 draft picks, and I doubt Quinn is one of those selections...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:16 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:I think this article should have focussed on Vince Young instead of Quinn... Quinn will be drafted late enough that he probably doesn't have to worry about a cap on guaranteed money... That should really only effect top-5 draft picks, and I doubt Quinn is one of those selections...

I believe you are right about Top 5 but the article mentions Top 10 players and I think he could fit in there. I would take Quinn over Young on the Fins any day of the week despite my hatred for ND. Bush falls in this category as well but I think everyone is positive he is coming out.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:51 pm

VaderFin wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:I think this article should have focussed on Vince Young instead of Quinn... Quinn will be drafted late enough that he probably doesn't have to worry about a cap on guaranteed money... That should really only effect top-5 draft picks, and I doubt Quinn is one of those selections...

I believe you are right about Top 5 but the article mentions Top 10 players and I think he could fit in there. I would take Quinn over Young on the Fins any day of the week despite my hatred for ND. Bush falls in this category as well but I think everyone is positive he is coming out.

Bush would be a jackass not to come out with the year he's having... He will finish the year with the Heisman and another National Championship.... I mean, there is nothing left to accomplish in college...

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:02 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:

Bush would be a jackass not to come out with the year he's having... He will finish the year with the Heisman and another National Championship.... I mean, there is nothing left to accomplish in college...

That is what everyone thought about Leinart as well. :-b Of course, Leinart wanted to go back so he could take Ball Room Dancing as his one class. I think Leinart went back just so he could continue being a celebrity in LA before being exiled to some horrible team in a small city. Bush can't wait to get to the NFL.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:23 pm

I'd be shocked if VY left early. I dont seem him being a Vick. He doesnt seem to have the passing ability that NFL teams want/need. He'll end up like most option QBs, either switch positions or head to Canada.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:41 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:I'd be shocked if VY left early. I dont seem him being a Vick. He doesnt seem to have the passing ability that NFL teams want/need. He'll end up like most option QBs, either switch positions or head to Canada.

If Young wasn't at Texas I would think he would come out for sure. Texas seems to keep their kids though. BUT, I think this money deal could be why Young might come out early...if he could get someone to take him that high he could get the money that won't be there in 07. As much as Miami needs a QB I don't want them within 100 miles of Young.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:49 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:I'd be shocked if VY left early. I dont seem him being a Vick. He doesnt seem to have the passing ability that NFL teams want/need.

Neither does Mike Vick....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to College Football