Lelie rumors - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lelie rumors

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lelie rumors

Postby Waikele Waverunners » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:19 am

I saw a post on a different site saying Lelie has become the #2 WR at denver. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Is he someone to hold on too or cut and grab a waiver guy?
Waikele Waverunners
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SinCity » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:03 am

I haven't heard a peep about it sorry.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Orange and Blue » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:12 am

It's true, Lelie started as the #2 WR in Denver during week 1. Not that it mattered at all, since neither he nor Eddie caught a single ball during that passing debacle.

He's ahead of Eddie on the depth charts. He'll still lose playing time because McC is by far the better blocker, and in Denver, all players are expected to block all the time (how else could they produce 4 different 1000 yard rushers in 5 years?). However, McCaffrey will be virtually invisible on fantasy radar this year, and Lelie will already be behind only Smith, assuming Plummer ever throws more than 14 passes in a game.

As for holding him... cut him and grab Eric Parker from SD, if he's available. If there's even one truly shrewd player in your league, Parker will not be. In that case, keep a hold on Lelie. Remember, it wasn't that long ago when McC and Smith became the first tandem ever to pass 100 receptions in the same year. Now McC has never returned to his old form since his injury (one of the saddest moments of my life, since Eddie is my favorite WR of all time, bar none), and Smith has lost almost 5 yards on his yards per catch average, meaning Lelie will be getting all the deep balls. Just ask Santana Moss how good it is to be the deep threat.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Lelie rumors

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:50 am

Waikele Waverunners wrote:I saw a post on a different site saying Lelie has become the #2 WR at denver. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Is he someone to hold on too or cut and grab a waiver guy?

It sounds to me like you thought Lelie was the #1 WR on the Broncos? That would be Rod Smith. Being the #2 WR means you start. Hines Ward is a #2 WR, but I'm sure you wouldn't mind him being on your team.

Lelie being the #2 WR on the Broncos INCREASED his value. There would be no reason to cut him for being the #2 WR.

If you want to cut him, cut him because Jake Plummer is his QB. Apparently Jake sucked as much as the rest of the Cardinals. He was not a talented QB stuck in a bad situation. He was a bad QB stuck in a bad situation.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby anth » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:51 am

I've read that smith/lelie/Ed will all see playing time and depth chart will be determined by how they play. I took that to mean that lelie could actually become #1 if he played well enough.
Denver's passing game has looked less than stellar but could get on track in plummer figures things out.
anth

Friendliness: %

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:23 am

I have Lelie, but am not going to put him in the starting line up any time soon.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Lelie

Postby FadeAwayNot » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:43 am

Lelie got some deep throws to him in both weeks one and two. The passes were horrible.
I have him in my league, and will hold on to him, hoping that Plummer can straighten himself out or Beurlein becomes the starter.
FadeAwayNot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mack-avelli » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:34 am

Plummer reminds me of Holcombe. They both forgot they have WRs. I got Lelie too but i'll wait n see if Plummer finds his receivers.
mack-avelli

Friendliness: %

Postby Waikele Waverunners » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:26 pm

Actually I had thought he was 3rd in their depth chart. My thinking was if he is indeed the #2 WR there should I start him, but if he has been the #2 all season he hasn't gotten crap for points. Trying to figure out if I should keep him or cut him. The consenus says keep him but don't start him.
Waikele Waverunners
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Orange and Blue » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:54 pm

Here's a quote from the Denver Post...
the Wednesday before the regular-season opener in Cincinnati, Mike Shanahan called McCaffrey, Lelie and Rod Smith into his office. He explained to each of them that he viewed them all as starters, but would change the lineup around a bit this season. Lelie started the opener, but McCaffrey still played more plays. So it's just an arrangement, more than anything else, although McCaffrey does have only one catch after two games.

Here's the link.

One last time- Denver runs a very complicated offense. Perhaps one of the most complicated in the league, right up there with Oakland and Tampa Bay. After all, how many other teams in the NFL have a tackle with a receiving touchdown (and more receiving yards than their #3 WR, I might add)? So, with such a complicated offense, it stands to reason it will take time to learn. If you look at Plummer's performance against SD (which is, admittedly, weak against the pass), you will see that he was 9 of 13 for 97 yards and 3 TDs. That's almost 11 yards a completion, almost 7.5 yards per attempt, and a touchdown every 3 passes. Those are good numbers. Have faith that he will be able to achieve those numbers with a little bit more regularity later in the season once he finally gets all the pieces of Denver's offensive puzzle put together.

Until then, do not expect touchdown receptions from any Broncos who aren't Rod Smith, Shannon Sharp... or Carlisle Cooper ;).
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk