Boldin: Where's the love? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Boldin: Where's the love?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Boldin: Where's the love?

Postby wizbang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:28 pm

This guy is being tagged as a one week wonder. I understood that label after Week 1 as no receiver can live up to those gaudy stats, but now? The average fan takes one look at his minimal point total last week and says "told ya so". Take a little closer look....

Boldin had 8 catches for 62 yards. The Cards threw his way 15 times. FIFTEEN! I watched a lot of that game and the Cards were clearly scheming plays to get the ball in his hands. An athlete like Boldin getting that many opportunities will make plays. WRs are up and down, that is for certain, but would you rather have a guy that saw 3 balls for 96 and a TD in Week 3 or one that was involved in half the plays from scrimage. Moving forward I'll take the 8 catch guy.

Further, lets look at Arizona. They have a solid OL, wear RBs and a horrible defense. That equates to throwing the ball. Unlike the bears their QBs will get the time to do it as well. Blake is a guy (I liken him to Kitna) that can produce very good numbers. He will likely never be a success in the NFL (again like Kitna and Fiedler if you ask me) because he makes mistakes at bad times and can single handedly lose a game. From a fantasy perspective though I think the combo of a bad defense, big OL and Blake can result in a very profitable season for Boldin. Also, Bryant Johnson also contributed well last week with several catches though he looks a lot less polished and physically ready to me.

Right now I would take Boldin over guys like: Fergusson, Shaw, Warrick, S. Moss, C. Rogers, A. Bryant for sure and maybe even a constant underperformer like Pinkston and Thrash.
wizbang

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Swedish Steel » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:59 pm

he's a cardinal.... Nuff said...
Swedish Steel
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:15 pm

Right now I would take Boldin over guys like: Fergusson, Shaw, Warrick, S. Moss, C. Rogers, A. Bryant for sure and maybe even a constant underperformer like Pinkston and Thrash

That's not really saying much. Unless you're in a deep league or start a lot of WR, you just listed a bunch of fantasy bench players.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby inferno19 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:19 pm

Charles Rogers? You sure about that one? Wait until week 4 or 5 and Rogers will replace Boldin in the overhyped-rookie category. Only difference is Rogers, I believe is a legit, deep-threat TD receiver...and the words TD and threat are rarely spoken in Arizona.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:22 pm

People keep saying get off the Boldin bandwagon... I watched Boldin at FSU the last two years and the guy is awesome. Every single year, a superstar or two emerge in the NFL. Who is to say that it won't be Boldin? I'm sick of people knocking him and the people that pick him up off of waivers... like they have any friggin idea as to what kind of season he's going to have. In my opinion, he's earned a shot. Besides, what in the hell do you have to loose that makes everybody so dead bent against him?

Friendliness: %

Postby josebach » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:25 pm

That last post was mine... wanted to get my 100th post. :)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Re: Boldin: Where's the love?

Postby arrbez » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:15 pm

wizbang wrote:Boldin had 8 catches for 62 yards. The Cards threw his way 15 times. FIFTEEN! I watched a lot of that game and the Cards were clearly scheming plays to get the ball in his hands. An athlete like Boldin getting that many opportunities will make plays.

this is what i've been saying. he's getting a lot of passes, and that can only be a good thing.

all those who say he has no value...well, they're probably bitter because they drafted lelie or reed. }:-)
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hawksfan896 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:26 pm

Boldin got 10 catches, 200+ yds, and 2 TDs against one of the worst defenses in the league and 8 catches, 60+ yds against statistically the best. If you figure most teams they play will fall somewhere in the middle of these two defenses, he would average about 9 catches, 130 yds and a TD. Of course, this is too much to expect and would be absolutely incredible for a rook, but the fact remains, even when his team scored zippo, he still got 8 catches (albeit for few yards). I'm in a 16 team league and don't have the luxury of sitting a guy who averages 9 catches and a TD a game (nor would I sit him in a two team league), and Boldin will be in my starting lineup until he fumbles 8 times in a game. As for Rogers, he's only caught 4 balls in each game (both games he went for a measley 38 yards), and other than the two TDs in the first game, hasn't done much fantasy-wise. Unless something changes dramatically, I fail to see how Rogers could overtake Boldin hype-wise. Arizona is routing their offense through Boldin far more than Detroit is through Rogers, making him a more solid fantasy player, at least right now.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby 49ers Forever » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:05 pm

yeah, but do you think boldin will suffer if blake's injury problem persists and he is getting tossed the ball by mccown? I like the guy, and going against seattle's defense and getting 8 grabs for 62 is imo impressive. Remember, the other two main receivers were injured last week, which meant that the defense keyed in on him. but how bout this mccown guy, will boldin do all right with a new guy throwing the rock?
49ers Forever
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby hawksfan896 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:01 pm

Naw, I don't think Blake's injury should affect Boldin too much. Blake only completed 7 passes against SEA, McCown the rest (18 comps), so it looks like Boldin is the crux of the Card's offense as a whole, not just Blake's go to guy. But, Blake is shown as day-to-day, and not on the Arizona injury report at all, so it doesn't look like he'll miss anymore time. I don't think Blake is that great to start with, and McCown couldn't be too much worse. I say Boldin's still a go.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk