Bowl Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Bowl Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:14 pm

jayday wrote:Exactly....that's the reason Louisville left the MAC (A Non-BCS Conference) for the Big East....left if for a higher profile conference, though it was down this year.....they will draw more money from the Big East than the Mac.....

Back on topic, Just for example....Let's say all scenarios are the same for next year, Ohio State is ranked #4 and Oregon is ranked #5 once again......Let's also say Boise State goes out, runs the table in the WAC (a Non-BCS Conference) and ends up ranked #6 in the nation.....

Ohio State would make a BCS bowl by virtue of being from a BCS conference and in the Top 4....

Boise State would make it by virtue of being from a Non-BCS conference and in the Top 6...

The Ducks get left out once again.....now where's the politics? The Ohio State Oregon would likely draw more ratings....but rules are rules....

And I'm not saying these rules are right....just can't see how you're drawing politics from something that seems so cut-and-dry to me....

Good post

I can see the benefit for Louisville in doing that if they sucked and their conference had noone in it to make them money. But it also adds a ton more teams to compete with for a high quality bowl.

So what you are explaining is why Utah got in last year right?

I can see how you don't see that particular example as political but do you really think College Fball doesn't have any politics to it?
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby asmizzou21 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:25 pm

I'm a Mizzou fan and you guys are right about Stinkel, he sucks. Nobody wants him here anymore. S. Carolina isn't that good and they are making Mizzou look horrible. Maybe they can come back in the 2nd half, only down 28-14.
asmizzou21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:43 pm

jayday wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:Yes, and I said, they got the matchup they wanted.....but I'll say it again...

THE FIESTA BOWL COMMITTEE MADE NO DECISION PERTAINING TO OREGON'S BOWL BID. OHIO STATE AND NOTRE DAME AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFIED. AU-TO-MA-TI-CAL-LY QUA-LI-FIED. AU-TO-MA-TIC-AL-LY QUA-LI-FIED. NO POLITICS INVOLVED.

-steps off soap box-

The matchup they wanted? Sounds political to me. Automatically qualified due to the politics that have been instilled in the BCS system.

ND automatically getting in to the Fiesta for being a top 6 team is political. I don't see any clause that says Oregon automatically gets in for qualifying top 6. So its political favoritism. #4 and #6 get in but #5 gets the leftovers cause they are not a big team. I'm guessing the committee doesn't want their favorite team ND to be embarrassed again by another Oregon team like in 2000.

ND has no conference so they get special treatment. No other team gets that. Sorry Jay but its Political.

Can Jay please step up to the soap box you are needed.

I'll be your Huckleberry....

ND gets in at #6 because any team from a Non-BCS Conference finishing in the Top 6 gets a BCS Bowl bid....

Ohio State gets in at #4 by virtue of being from a BCS conference and finishing in the Top 4....

Oregon at #5 is left out.....not by anyone's choosing, but by the rules....

So Ace, Where's the politics?

-steps down off soap box again, but will step back up if needed-

Good I'm here to learn the madness. And that quote from doc holiday is one of my favs.

So the way to cheat the politics would be to exit your conference then get ranked top 6? That would make things much easier in my opinion. Why don't many teams do that? Instead of competing with hundreds you compete with only a few. I would think that would be the easiest way in to a great bowl game.

Few questions: Can any team just decide to leave their conference and be like ND? The risk reward seems great if they don't have to split the money.
Do the non conference teams split the money or does ND get to keep all 15 million?

ND is ND. I hate them but there is no other. No other team has their own television deal, fan support, ratings, or draw that the Irish have. They should be in a conference but they are greedy. :-b

No other team is going to leave their conference unless they go to a better one. Every team gets part of USC's winnings...not bad for a Washington or Washington St. who don't even make a bowl game.

Exactly....that's the reason Louisville left the MAC (A Non-BCS Conference) for the Big East....left if for a higher profile conference, though it was down this year.....they will draw more money from the Big East than the Mac.....

Back on topic, Just for example....Let's say all scenarios are the same for next year, Ohio State is ranked #4 and Oregon is ranked #5 once again......Let's also say Boise State goes out, runs the table in the WAC (a Non-BCS Conference) and ends up ranked #6 in the nation.....

Ohio State would make a BCS bowl by virtue of being from a BCS conference and in the Top 4....

Boise State would make it by virtue of being from a Non-BCS conference and in the Top 6...

The Ducks get left out once again.....now where's the politics? The Ohio State Oregon would likely draw more ratings....but rules are rules....

And I'm not saying these rules are right....just can't see how you're drawing politics from something that seems so cut-and-dry to me....

jayday, don't forget that starting next year they will have the 4 BCS bowl games plus the Championship game so there is room for more teams in the future.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=214266
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Psychology in football is vastly overrated. Sure, maybe the guys feel a little robbed, and maybe they dog it in practice a little bit, but once you get out there onto the field it's another football game like any other, and all that stuff disappears. If it does anything, it would make kids more fired up to show everyone they deserved better, and rub it back in those people's faces.

But really, these kids are playing for their futures. Holiday Bowl or not, this is the best chance these kids have to showcase themselves such that they can have a future in this game, to think that they are going to give that up just because they're playing on December 29th is ludicrous, and to think that Leaf doesn't throw an INT at the 10 yard line against the same team in the same situation just because the title of the game they're playing in is the Fiesta rather than the Holiday is equally ludicrous.

I could find about 75 Division 1-A Head Coaches who disagree with you on this point, as will most any person who has excelled in their chosen sport throughout the past 50 years. If this were true coaches would be more managers, not motivators, and people like Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne, Barry Switzer and the like would have been just lucky enough to put more talented players on the field than their counterparts.

It is clearly not enough to simply put talented players on the field and give them a gameplan - you have to provide these players with (among many other things) a truly motivational impetus to inspire them to do greater things than their opponents.

I would further argue that MOST of the kids in these games are NOT playing for their futures. A very small percentage of these players are going pro - the vast majority are playing their final competitive game of football (seniors, that is) and are moving on to a professional life outside of sports.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I said most people in the Cafe discount the mental aspect of the game.

I think you're missing my point a bit. My point is not that psychology does not matter in football, my point is simply that it's overrated. It has become one of those underrated overrated things where it gets sooooooooo much talk about being underrated that it ends up being overrated, kind of like Steve Mcnair a few years ago. We heard soooooooooooo much about how devastatingly underrated Mcnair was that you would've thought he was leading a team of one-armed monkeys against a team of the NFL's greatest players all in their prime and winning by 300 points in the middle of the desert where no one saw it happen.

Likewise, here we are listening to this ridiculous arguement that the #6 team in the nation beat an unranked team simply because the #6 wasn't in the right mindset. I'm sorry, but that just isn't the case. When a QB drops back to pass and reads the field, he's not thinking about what the name of the bowl game he's in is or how many people are watching. Psychology can't lead a pee-wee team to victory over the Indianapolis Colts, and it is not the difference between an unranked team and the #6 team in the nation. The simple fact of the matter is that psychology didn't make an unranked team beat the 6th best team in the nation, but rather that they weren't actually playing the 6th best team in the nation.

Fact of the matter is the Ducks beat every team they played except one during the regular season earning our spot.

I'm sorry, but I heartily disagree with this fact. The Ducks did NOT earn their spot. The Ducks had a chance to earn their spot against the only ranked team they played all year, and they didn't do it. Beating 10 unranked teams earns nothing, those are gimmies, they only had to win 1 real game all year long and they didn't do it. I have been saying this for years, I know it's not their fault that they had a ridiculously easy schedule, but when you play only 1 ranked team all year, you HAVE to win that game to earn anything. I don't know how else to put it.

I will admit I have developed a bit of a soft spot for Oregon (mostly because I like the style of football they play...and am also probably the only person in the world who actually likes their uni's) despite how much I've been beating them up in these arguments the last few days, but the simple fact of the matter is that from what I've seen of them (which for a team that far away is quite a bit) I don't feel they would've had any business playing in a BCS game, and they certainly haven't done anything this year to show me that they'd be capable of winning one unless they got into the game against FSU ;).

Now just think, if we ever actually got that playoff system what would we all do with all the time we usually spend arguing about this stuff? ;)
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby asmizzou21 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:09 pm

moonhead wrote:doods. how bad is missouri?

Mizzou 38-31 with 2:05 left!
asmizzou21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby VaderFin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:11 pm

asmizzou21 wrote:

The curse of moonhead! If the Canes are winning please don't come on here and say how bad LSU is. :-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:12 pm

Heck of a half by Mizzou. What a different game that was in the 2nd half.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby asmizzou21 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:19 pm

My Tigers did it. For the 1st time in a long time I'm a proud Tiger fan! Thanks Brad for the memories!!
asmizzou21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby jayday » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:27 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:Exactly....that's the reason Louisville left the MAC (A Non-BCS Conference) for the Big East....left if for a higher profile conference, though it was down this year.....they will draw more money from the Big East than the Mac.....

Good post

I can see the benefit for Louisville in doing that if they sucked and their conference had noone in it to make them money. But it also adds a ton more teams to compete with for a high quality bowl.

So what you are explaining is why Utah got in last year right?

Utah got a BCS bid last year correct? I should've just used them instead of the Boise scenario...

I can see how you don't see that particular example as political but do you really think College Fball doesn't have any politics to it?

Oh I know there is politics in CFB.....just this scenario was too cut-and-dry to be political....

Glad we got this thing sorted out....I guess? lol ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:38 pm

VaderFin wrote:
asmizzou21 wrote:

The curse of moonhead! If the Canes are winning please don't come on here and say how bad LSU is. :-b

No doubt! He did'nt talk some smack Oklahoma during the game llast night did he? :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to College Football