Bowl Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Bowl Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby asmizzou21 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:50 pm

Big 12 now 4-1 in their bowl games. Big 12 North now 3-1. I'll say it one last time the Big 12 is still legit and the North isn't as bad as the national media is trying to say.
asmizzou21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:59 pm

asmizzou21 wrote:Big 12 now 4-1 in their bowl games. Big 12 North now 3-1. I'll say it one last time the Big 12 is still legit and the North isn't as bad as the national media is trying to say.

Congratulations! That was a great comeback! I'd have to say that the "weak" Big XII North is representing rather well so far this year - not as bad as people thought!

As a Husker fan, I'd just like to say how happy I am for Brad Smith that he had a great game, that he once again proved why people were so high on him in years past, and why he has a bright future in the NFL if he chooses.

I'd also like to say, as a Husker fan, how happy I am that Mr. Smith won't be returning to Mizzou. The guy has beaten us twice now, and I'm not going to miss seeing him on the sidelines next year. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:46 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:Yes, and I said, they got the matchup they wanted.....but I'll say it again...

THE FIESTA BOWL COMMITTEE MADE NO DECISION PERTAINING TO OREGON'S BOWL BID. OHIO STATE AND NOTRE DAME AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFIED. AU-TO-MA-TI-CAL-LY QUA-LI-FIED. AU-TO-MA-TIC-AL-LY QUA-LI-FIED. NO POLITICS INVOLVED.

-steps off soap box-

The matchup they wanted? Sounds political to me. Automatically qualified due to the politics that have been instilled in the BCS system.

ND automatically getting in to the Fiesta for being a top 6 team is political. I don't see any clause that says Oregon automatically gets in for qualifying top 6. So its political favoritism. #4 and #6 get in but #5 gets the leftovers cause they are not a big team. I'm guessing the committee doesn't want their favorite team ND to be embarrassed again by another Oregon team like in 2000.

ND has no conference so they get special treatment. No other team gets that. Sorry Jay but its Political.

Can Jay please step up to the soap box you are needed.

I'll be your Huckleberry....

ND gets in at #6 because any team from a Non-BCS Conference finishing in the Top 6 gets a BCS Bowl bid....

Ohio State gets in at #4 by virtue of being from a BCS conference and finishing in the Top 4....

Oregon at #5 is left out.....not by anyone's choosing, but by the rules....

So Ace, Where's the politics?

-steps down off soap box again, but will step back up if needed-

Good I'm here to learn the madness. And that quote from doc holiday is one of my favs.

So the way to cheat the politics would be to exit your conference then get ranked top 6? That would make things much easier in my opinion. Why don't many teams do that? Instead of competing with hundreds you compete with only a few. I would think that would be the easiest way in to a great bowl game.

Few questions: Can any team just decide to leave their conference and be like ND? The risk reward seems great if they don't have to split the money.
Do the non conference teams split the money or does ND get to keep all 15 million?

This is a good question. I beleive that after this year, ND goes to something like they get 1million every year just for playing football, but when they make it to a BCS bowl, they get 4million instead of the full 15million. I hate to give C4L any fire power, as little as it may be, but no I dont believe any other independent, nor any program that wants to become independent, gets any kind of deal like this. Anyone who completely disagrees that ND doesnt get special treatment whether it be financially or politically, I think is just being a homer. ND does benefit from rules/deals/whatever that apply only to them.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
asmizzou21 wrote:Big 12 now 4-1 in their bowl games. Big 12 North now 3-1. I'll say it one last time the Big 12 is still legit and the North isn't as bad as the national media is trying to say.

Congratulations! That was a great comeback! I'd have to say that the "weak" Big XII North is representing rather well so far this year - not as bad as people thought!

As a Husker fan, I'd just like to say how happy I am for Brad Smith that he had a great game, that he once again proved why people were so high on him in years past, and why he has a bright future in the NFL if he chooses.

I'd also like to say, as a Husker fan, how happy I am that Mr. Smith won't be returning to Mizzou. The guy has beaten us twice now, and I'm not going to miss seeing him on the sidelines next year. ;-D

I'm pretty surprised by the outcome of this game. This is a bad loss for SC for those that know the Big12. At this point Missouri is certainly one of the bottom feeders of the conference, even though they had a couple of nice wins this year.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:55 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:Yes, and I said, they got the matchup they wanted.....but I'll say it again...

THE FIESTA BOWL COMMITTEE MADE NO DECISION PERTAINING TO OREGON'S BOWL BID. OHIO STATE AND NOTRE DAME AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFIED. AU-TO-MA-TI-CAL-LY QUA-LI-FIED. AU-TO-MA-TIC-AL-LY QUA-LI-FIED. NO POLITICS INVOLVED.

-steps off soap box-

The matchup they wanted? Sounds political to me. Automatically qualified due to the politics that have been instilled in the BCS system.

ND automatically getting in to the Fiesta for being a top 6 team is political. I don't see any clause that says Oregon automatically gets in for qualifying top 6. So its political favoritism. #4 and #6 get in but #5 gets the leftovers cause they are not a big team. I'm guessing the committee doesn't want their favorite team ND to be embarrassed again by another Oregon team like in 2000.

ND has no conference so they get special treatment. No other team gets that. Sorry Jay but its Political.

ND gets in at #6 because any team from a Non-BCS Conference finishing in the Top 6 gets a BCS Bowl bid....

Ohio State gets in at #4 by virtue of being from a BCS conference and finishing in the Top 4....

Good I'm here to learn the madness. And that quote from doc holiday is one of my favs.

So the way to cheat the politics would be to exit your conference then get ranked top 6? That would make things much easier in my opinion. Why don't many teams do that? Instead of competing with hundreds you compete with only a few. I would think that would be the easiest way in to a great bowl game.

Few questions: Can any team just decide to leave their conference and be like ND? The risk reward seems great if they don't have to split the money.
Do the non conference teams split the money or does ND get to keep all 15 million?

This is a good question. I beleive that after this year, ND goes to something like they get 1million every year just for playing football, but when they make it to a BCS bowl, they get 4million instead of the full 15million. I hate to give C4L any fire power, as little as it may be, but no I dont believe any other independent, nor any program that wants to become independent, gets any kind of deal like this. Anyone who completely disagrees that ND doesnt get special treatment whether it be financially or politically, I think is just being a homer. ND does benefit from rules/deals/whatever that apply only to them.

C'mon man, I never said there bweren't politics in football....THERE ARE...everyone can see that....but I don't know how else to explain myself that ND didn't get special treatment in this season's bowl selection....I've explained my thoughts on it about 5 times.....not wasting anymore breath on it :-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby VaderFin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:01 pm

Miami = A Massive Stinking Pile of Dog Poo
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby asmizzou21 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:15 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I'm pretty surprised by the outcome of this game. This is a bad loss for SC for those that know the Big12. At this point Missouri is certainly one of the bottom feeders of the conference, even though they had a couple of nice wins this year.

How can you say that especially being a Nebraska fan? Does 41-24 ring a bell? Mizzou is far from a bottom feeder in the Big 12. Also the Big 12 is better then what most people think
asmizzou21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 pm

jayday wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
jayday wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:

-steps off soap box-

C'mon man, I never said there bweren't politics in football....THERE ARE...everyone can see that....but I don't know how else to explain myself that ND didn't get special treatment in this season's bowl selection....I've explained my thoughts on it about 5 times.....not wasting anymore breath on it :-D

Dont recall ever questioning your opinions on this, jayday. Your right about ND this year. My statement had nothing to do with whether ND pushed out UO due to politics. Some in this post said that ND receives no special treatment and I disagree with that.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:31 pm

asmizzou21 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

How can you say that especially being a Nebraska fan? Does 41-24 ring a bell? Mizzou is far from a bottom feeder in the Big 12. Also the Big 12 is better then what most people think

Sorry, but I stand by my comments. That was a bad loss for NU also. Cosgrove game-planned horribly for Smith. I put that loss squarly on his shoulders. Mizzou played 2 great games this year, NU and today.

Heres how I saw the Big12 end up this season:

-Texas
-
-(next tier in this order)
-Texas Tech
-OU
-NU
-Iowa State
-Kansas
-(next tier in no particular order)
-Missouri
-KState
-CU
-A&M
-Baylor
-
-Oklahoma ST

Feel free to disagree.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby asmizzou21 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:36 pm

I agree with your Top 3 and then I think the next 6 or 7 teams are all right together, then you have the bottom 2 or 3, which are the bottom feeders and Mizzou isn't in that list.
asmizzou21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to College Football