BIG ETHICAL QUESTION! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

BIG ETHICAL QUESTION!

Moderator: Football Moderators

BIG ETHICAL QUESTION!

Postby dare » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:28 pm

If a team owner purposely plays to lose a final game of fantasy regular season in order to affect what he thinks is a more favorable matchup in the playoffs because of the way seeding is determined, is that an ethical violation?
ie: He'd prefer to lose and play team B than win and play team A.
We usually say the unwritten ethical #1 RULE(AFTER NO COLLUSION) is that you do everything in your power to win.
Thoughts?
dare
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:54 pm

this has been discussed at length with varying situations in leftovers. I think it is a violation, but I don't know what you can do. How do you prove it? It is a difficult situation.

father throwing game vs. son

ethics of throwing a game

benching your players to lose

here's a few threads that might deal with some of the things you're talking about. for a better response you should repost this question in football leftovers...I think anyway.

good luck ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby dare » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:44 pm

Thanx, but let me give you the whole thing, I'd love to see your guys' opinions, they're always great.

For almost the entire season, I have played w/o a IDP, week in and out. On a few cases where I was losing or winning, but it was close, I would pick someone up just for the week, just in case.
Strategy: In our league a defensive player averages a fraction of what other positions do, and I felt it more advantageous to hold onto an extra RB, QB, or WR on my roster.
I did that again this week, but the Commish claims that I still have a shot to beat him(it is possible, but unlikely even if I add an IDP).
My seeding will be either 3 or 4, win or lose tonight.
His will be either 3 or 6(8 team playoff).
He still has the option of benching his Seattle Defense and throwing the game, because he would prefer(matchup wise) the 6th seed.
He says since I didn't play a full roster(no IDP), regardless of my strategy, he has the right to drop his Team Defense in order to get his preferred seeding because we are both "playing for the future" in our strategies, which is what I've been doing by not using IDP's.
Help?!
dare
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FatFoot » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:19 pm

What's good for the goose...

If you're not fielding a complete lineup, and no one has had a problem with it... why should he be held to different standards?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby BadgerBengal » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:01 pm

Ive never heard of not playing a full roster but if you didnt I dont see how you can complain if someone else doesnt. I think your league should make it a rule you have to play a full roster every week. Thats just my opinion.
Thanks to WickedSmaat for the Grrreat sig
BadgerBengal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:08 pm

As long as you're doing what's best for your team, it should be legal. Don't let other people tell you what to do with your team. If it's your strategy to not play an IDP, then don't play an IDP. You didn't for the other games, so it's not even like you're making an exception.

The way I see it, you're doing nothing wrong.
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:35 pm

i think what your doing is fine...as long as your consistnt in what you do week in and week out but around this time of the year doing something out of the ordinary like that could be viewed as cheaing were as early in the season it was viewed as a lucky break for your opponet...but for the commish thats clearly cheating
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby FatFoot » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:42 pm

Why is it cheating for the commish and not for this guy? I would say it's not cheating, period.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:55 pm

this guy bases it on roster depth season long, and the commish bases it on just getting a better playoff (or worse depending on how you look at it) by doing unethical things i mean seriosly would it be fishy is you watched the league close week in and week out and one guy never played idp not to lose but just for a better offensive depth were as one guy takes advantage of the system because hes already clinched a bid and decides to play god and try and chose his matchup? i think i read the stroy correctly any ways...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby maddog60 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:17 pm

aaawall91 wrote:this guy bases it on roster depth season long, and the commish bases it on just getting a better playoff (or worse depending on how you look at it) by doing unethical things i mean seriosly would it be fishy is you watched the league close week in and week out and one guy never played idp not to lose but just for a better offensive depth were as one guy takes advantage of the system because hes already clinched a bid and decides to play god and try and chose his matchup? i think i read the stroy correctly any ways...

The problem is, the other members in the league can never be sure the intent behind someone not playing a full roster. That is why you need to set standards like, everyone starts a full roster, so that no one can cheat by tanking through not playing a full roster.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting